Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > North American Indigenous Spirituality

Old 01-04-2019, 01:53 PM
Master
Sweet Grass

SWEETGRASS
The elders tell us that it takes longer for us to heal today and the reason is because the old trails our ancestors used to use to find us have been destroyed. by colonialism, assimilation, manifest destiny, and ethnic cleansing, towns and cities where the old trails used to be...so now our ancestors are having a hard time finding us to help us heal.

So we must burn sweetgrass~
a kindness medicine...with a sweet gentle aroma when we light it
21 strands to make a braid..the first 7 strands represent those 7 generations behind us~
Our parents
Our grandparents
7 generations behind us~who we are and what we are is because of them~they've brushed and made the trails we have been walking up til now...the trails have been destroyed.
The time has come to heal and connect with our ancestors. They paid a tremendous price for us to be able to speak out against injustices, we do not have the right to remain quiet.

The next 7 represent the 7 sacred teachings...
Love, Respect, Honesty, Courage, Wisdom, Truth and Humility
The elders tell us how simple, powerful and beautiful the teaching are
Love: unconditional affection with no limits or conditions that starts with loving yourself.
Respect: due regard for the feelings, wishes, rights or traditions of other, with consideration, thoughtfulness, attentiveness, politeness, courtesy, civility, deference.
Humility freedom from pride or arrogance, being humble, when we truly understand the teaching of humility, that we are not any better then anyone else and you are not any better then me. that at the end of the day we are simply human beings, this is what makes this teaching powerful and beautiful.
Courage:bravery, permitting one to face extreme dangers with boldness withstanding danger, fear or difficulty
Wisdom:the quality of having experience, knowledge and good judgment the quality of being wise.
Truth: the face of the matter, veracity, sincere, candor and genuineness
a determined in principle entirely by how it relates to things
Honestly:have a character of integrity, and honor be free from fraud or deception, legitimate truthful.

The last 7 strands are those of the 7 generations in front of us~
Our children
Our grandchildren
as well as those children yet to be born
It is important because everything we do to Mother earth will one day effect them... We have lost our way, everything we do to Mother Earth gives us everything we need to heal ourselves and the earth. We must go back to our roots and bloom.
"We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children"

These teachings need to first start from within ourselves, respecting ourselves, they tell us that the teachings need to first start from the inside.

So on the morning you /we burn Sweetgrass, we can get a white or yellow cloth (1 meter) with Tobacco: hang it on a tree facing the east direction.
This should be done in the morning and not at night.

Lest us never forget we are the whispered prayer our ancestors prayed.
They are waiting for us
A'ho

Reprinted with permission from Vatowood
Old 01-04-2019, 03:51 PM
Gracey

A timely message, thank you.
Old 01-04-2019, 04:43 PM
ImthatIm

Excellent Anala!
Teachings are so valuable.
Starting the New day with valuable teachings are oh so helpful.
Setting the mind right and honoring those past and future can bless your whole day.
Old 17-12-2021, 04:25 AM
Master
I have been looking, as I walk though the prairies and pasture lands, for sweet grass. I was unsure what the seed top looked like. That was part of the problem. So, I would examine, pluck blades, smell them… Then one day as I trimmed herbs from the garden I notice a very thin, round strand. So, I cut 30 or so blades, and hung them to dry.

As I was processing herbs a few weeks ago, pulling leaves from stems and putting the leaves in jars to cook with this winter, I found at the bottom of the herb bowl the strands of grass. It smelled like sweet grass. But the strands were so dried, I did not dare try to braid them.

So, my question, is sweet grass braided before drying or after?

I did light some last week and the smell was so sweet and smooth. It makes me smile to think Sweetgrass is growing wild in my unruly garden.
Old 25-12-2021, 11:26 PM
Guide
Location: Up a mountain communing with the Grandfathers, Ancestors, Ravens n Horses beside the Stones
We braid Sweet grass when is still attached to the Earth.And pray and thank the Earth whilst we do so and before harvesting it.

Here's where we go off the map.
Out past the power lines,
up that little side road without a sign.
Hidden from the mainstream.

Keeper's of the Ancient future, Keepers of the Drum.
They don't preserve it.....
They live it......!
Old 26-12-2021, 04:00 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Makoiyi
We braid Sweet grass when is still attached to the Earth.And pray and thank the Earth whilst we do so and before harvesting it.

Thank you for sharing your experience.
Old 26-12-2021, 04:09 AM
Master
Braided before drying.

⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜ ⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜

Happiness is the result of an enlightened mind whereas suffering is caused by a distorted mind.
   ⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜ ⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜

Old 26-12-2021, 04:16 PM
Master
Thank you also BigJohn.

I will see what spring brings.