Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Love & Relationships -Friends and Family

Old 17-11-2014, 02:55 PM
dawn chorus

Question Problems with a friend

Hi :

I have a friend who I've been quite close to for the past 3-4 years. When we first became friends I thought it was great that we seemed to have similar views/ ideas/ experiences and that I felt I could talk to her about most things. I liked that she was quite extrovert as I tend to be more introverted and she's very chatty and likes to go out a lot which helps me to be more social as I tend to go through periods of shutting myself away and not really seeing people.
Thing is after a while I noticed that more and more things I said to her she would either say, "yea same" or I would hear her talking about with other people. I also noticed that things would happen and she would really exaggerate what happened when repeating it to others and she would come out with very elaborate stories of things she has experienced or seen. It got to a point where I stopped telling her things as she would immediately turn it into her own story or re-tell it to other people as her own. The longer it has gone on the worse it has become and I suspect her of fabricating stories that seem quite similar to my own experiences that I have told her, and telling them to other people infront of me. The feeling I get from that is anger, frustration and hurt, I know she hasn't really taken anything from me, but it almost feels like that. The problem is, I tend to avoid confrontation or I will confront and not feel strong enough to back it up. I do have the tendency to avoid, which I am trying to confront but isn't easy as it is quite ingrained. I have made a remark to her before when she was asking me if other people found her annoying, that I thought that maybe she tried a bit too hard with other people and that she didn't need to but she got very defensive, upset and in the end I just told her that maybe I was wrong because she kept bringing it up.
So my dilemma is, do I bring the subject up with her and try to remain as true to my point as possible even if she becomes upset, or do I distance myself from her? I know I must have a part to play in this relationship, possibly by enabling the behavior to continue without challenging it amongst other things. Just very confused at the moment as she has become someone who I spend a lot of time with and she does have some really great qualities as well.
Old 17-11-2014, 03:51 PM
Dead Crow experience

hello my name is distance

quotes aside...

communicate with her such as you are to thousands of www strangers.
Old 18-11-2014, 05:09 AM
primrose

You have to decide if you want to continue the friendship, whether you can accept this about her. as you know how she reacted when you she asked for your opinion. If this is something that really bothers you, you can distance yourself, if she asks why then tell her.
Old 18-11-2014, 05:41 AM
KevinO

Don't become the person telling her negative things if you want to be her friend If she asks if people find her annoying, don't you find her annoying. Ask her why she thinks they might.
It is not easy being around insecure people. However having been insecure for much of my life it is not a bed of roses, and real friends count.
Have you seen the movie "Big Fish"? That might help. Good luck!