Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Mediumship

Old 31-08-2012, 07:29 AM
Serenity Bear

People don't learn to be mediums, but they can enhance an already present ability/talent. Much like a pianist, many can play but few are concert level.

If you have the ability then the best way is to visit your local Spiritualist Church but if one is not available then daily meditation is the key.

As the saying goes mediums can be psychic but not all psychics are mediums and that is where the confusion lies. Many make the mistake of thinking they are the same thing when they are vastly different.
Old 31-08-2012, 09:42 AM
paultheseer

Kislany, don't worry about all that "wanting to help others stuff" that's one view and let me tell you I know people who have come unstuck running around trying to help anyone and everyone, there is a balance, there is nothing wrong with wanting to develop Mediumistic ability for personal reasons, for instance I would say that by expanding your awareness you are helping the planet overall, you don't have to be helping people personally, working with Spirit is not black and white there are many different paths, just enjoy it and don't worry too much about the whys and why nots, that just locks you into the concrete mind. By the way I am not one of the ones who advocates the spiritualist church, nothing wrong with them but I left it in the late 90's because I disagreed with all the red tape stuff, don't do this, sit like that sort of stuff, there is a lot more esoteric teaching out there that will help you go further. The solitary seeker can sometimes do better than sitting in a circle, get the balance wrong in a closed development circle and its next to pointless. Best advice, take what you need from any organisation or group/book and disregard the rest, anyone tells you "this is the only way" run a mile. That's from experience not opinion.
Old 31-08-2012, 09:55 AM
paultheseer

I disagree with that line about psychics being limited and this is exactly what I mean by the spiritualist movement, that was started by the spiritualist movement some years ago and has been quoted over the years so many times, it implies that someone on the psychic path is less able than someone on the Mediumistic path.
I have met some fantastic psychics over the years and they are more evolved than most Mediums will ever be, titles just don't do it for me, psychic medium what does it matter what you call yourself, if you start on either path you will encounter the other.
Old 31-08-2012, 10:26 AM
kislany

Paul, thanks - what you wrote here is balm to my soul and encouragement to go on and not get discouraged from trying to learn :)
Old 01-09-2012, 06:05 AM
glenos

Keep probing, looking, wanting, reading all you can about such stuff. Anything by Silver Birch will clue you in nicely.
Say hello to Coral Bay for me!

G
Old 01-09-2012, 06:32 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by kislany
Paul, thanks - what you wrote here is balm to my soul and encouragement to go on and not get discouraged from trying to learn :)

Good. Be full on and positive about it.

I have no 'abililities' and I don't care. To me it's about being aware of what I bring, and finding my own unique talents and gifts. It kind of there to be found, harnessed, used and honed.

I maintain vigiliance on the purity of my intention so as not to become vain, but rather, love in a wholesome fashion that helps embrace what is me.

Much happiness to you
Old 01-09-2012, 11:19 AM
korryn92

Hello Kislany!
I have always heard spirits calling my name and have seen things when I was younger, but I shut it out because I was too scared to deal with it at such a young age and everyone around me thought I was making it up. So what this means is I had to reopen everything and I am still working on it LOL It was finally a few weeks ago I was able to look at a shadow (can't see what they actually look like yet) almost head on.

So try with books and meditation like others have said. My post was mostly for optimistic`and encouraging reasons I wasn't sure if I would even get this far! So if you feel you want to develop this then go ahead and give it your all
Old 02-09-2012, 08:05 PM
Enya

Quote:
Originally Posted by paultheseer
Becoming aware isn't that difficult, it starts with intent, once you say inwardly "I want to develop/unfold" the process starts. Your own unfoldment will be unique, you may unfold healer abilities, or psychic art, or clairvoyance or all of them, you will only know if you give it a go. When that intent goes out you will be directed to a teacher or group. Good luck and hope this helps.
Om Shanti
Paul
Can't say it better than Paul already has... I started my journey with self development cards and Reiki, which led to meditation, more cards and many visits to the local library... which led to meeting my spirit mentors and developing my abilities until they said I was ready for a teacher... up until I met her, I'd never even thought of being a medium and it's taken some years of hard work to become known in that way... but I'm stubborn, lol.

Seek, learn, discern and you can't do any better than that.
Old 09-09-2012, 08:21 AM
kislany

Thanks everyone for the replies. I've been away for a week on holidays and just came back now, sorry for not writing here earlier to thank you for your positive posts and encouragements!

I will keep on learning, absorbing and just being open to it, and see where the road takes me.
Old 09-09-2012, 12:31 PM
Experiencer
I am one of those who had no psychic ability (at least none that I was aware of) for most of my life and I now communicate very clearly with spirits, though I think that what happened to me over the last few years was very unusual in its intensity, and that a strong level of mediumship usually takes many years of dedication to achieve. I do think I began with one advantage, which is that I have always been a very dreamy, inwardly-focused person, rather meditative in my approach to life, and I therefore find meditation easier than most seem to. It may be that this sort of mind is what people mean when they say that certain people have a natural talent for mediumship.

However, we are all spiritual beings - we are spiritual before we are physical and our physical form is sort of incidental - and therefore I find the idea that any person is incapable of spiritual communication to be bizarre. All of us are receiving spirit communication all of the time without realising it - it arrives as intuition, ideas, "I just have this feeling about it", messages from our spirit guides, and so on. Some of us are far better at receiving it than others, but focused will is very powerful. There are concert pianists who did not learn to play the piano until they were adults despite everyone telling them you have to have a gift and lessons from childhood to do it, though these people certainly have very strong focus and determination. How far you are able to take your ability depends entirely on you, and not on what other people think about what you can do.

You can compare it to the learning of any other skill which requires dedication such as painting or music - ask yourself honestly how you would fare if you were to try doing that. This should give you a good indication of how learning spirit communication will go for you, and what kind of level you may be able to reach with it. If you think you would struggle with it, then it may be worth working first on the issues you have which might block it (such as fear of failure or perfomance anxiety, if it is your goal to do platform mediumship).

Opening to spirit communication is all about opening spiritually as much as you can and how far you are willing and able to push that. It is more difficult without a teacher but not impossibly so, because if you can get far enough by yourself to clearly understand your spirit guidance when it comes, you have the best teacher possible. There are some good threads in the Guides & Angels forum about how to begin to contact your guides, and I think that would be an excellent first stop for you. Of course, you should read as much material about it as you can find as well.

Good luck on your journey!