Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Death & The Afterlife

Old 28-12-2010, 07:04 PM
mahakali

i didnt read the whole thread but i really should be getting ready for work i just wanted to leave you with this

The Basics of Buddhist Wisdom Dr. C. George Boeree
Shippensburg University
The Four Noble Truths
1. Life is suffering;
2. Suffering is due to attachment;
3. Attachment can be overcome;
4. There is a path for accomplishing this.

1. Suffering is perhaps the most common translation for the Sanskrit word duhkha, which can also be translated as imperfect, stressful, or filled with anguish.
Contributing to the anguish is anitya -- the fact that all things are impermanent, including living things like ourselves.
Furthermore, there is the concept of anatman -- literally, "no soul". Anatman means that all things are interconnected and interdependent, so that no thing -- including ourselves -- has a separate existence.

2. Attachment is a common translation for the word trishna, which literally means thirst and is also translated as desire, clinging, greed, craving, or lust. Because we and the world are imperfect, impermanent, and not separate, we are forever "clinging" to things, each other, and ourselves, in a mistaken effort at permanence.
Besides trishna, there is dvesha, which means avoidance or hatred. Hatred is its own kind of clinging.
And finally there is avidya, ignorance or the refusal to see. Not fully understanding the impermanence of things is what leads us to cling in the first place.

3. Perhaps the most misunderstood term in Buddhism is the one which refers to the overcoming of attachment: nirvana. It literally means "blowing out," but is often thought to refer to either a Buddhist heaven or complete nothingness. Actually, it refers to the letting go of clinging, hatred, and ignorance, and the full acceptance of imperfection, impermanence, and interconnectedness.

4. And then there is the path, called dharma. Buddha called it the middle way, which is understood as meaning the middle way between such competing philosophies as materialism and idealism, or hedonism and asceticism. This path, this middle way, is elaborated as the eightfold path.
.................................................. .............

suffering comes from desire, expectations, attachment, not having the things you want, so you are not happy.
Old 28-12-2010, 08:02 PM
Snowcat

Sadness is the symptom of a Soul not illuminated with the Joy of the Spirit.

Psalm 16:11 In the presence of the Lord is the fullness of Joy.
Old 28-12-2010, 08:04 PM
Master
I can't see jumping for joy because my son died.

Old 29-12-2010, 01:04 AM
Ciqala

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahakali
i didnt read the whole thread but i really should be getting ready for work i just wanted to leave you with this

The Basics of Buddhist Wisdom Dr. C. George Boeree
Shippensburg University
The Four Noble Truths
1. Life is suffering;
2. Suffering is due to attachment;
3. Attachment can be overcome;
4. There is a path for accomplishing this.

1. Suffering is perhaps the most common translation for the Sanskrit word duhkha, which can also be translated as imperfect, stressful, or filled with anguish.
Contributing to the anguish is anitya -- the fact that all things are impermanent, including living things like ourselves.
Furthermore, there is the concept of anatman -- literally, "no soul". Anatman means that all things are interconnected and interdependent, so that no thing -- including ourselves -- has a separate existence.

2. Attachment is a common translation for the word trishna, which literally means thirst and is also translated as desire, clinging, greed, craving, or lust. Because we and the world are imperfect, impermanent, and not separate, we are forever "clinging" to things, each other, and ourselves, in a mistaken effort at permanence.
Besides trishna, there is dvesha, which means avoidance or hatred. Hatred is its own kind of clinging.
And finally there is avidya, ignorance or the refusal to see. Not fully understanding the impermanence of things is what leads us to cling in the first place.

3. Perhaps the most misunderstood term in Buddhism is the one which refers to the overcoming of attachment: nirvana. It literally means "blowing out," but is often thought to refer to either a Buddhist heaven or complete nothingness. Actually, it refers to the letting go of clinging, hatred, and ignorance, and the full acceptance of imperfection, impermanence, and interconnectedness.

4. And then there is the path, called dharma. Buddha called it the middle way, which is understood as meaning the middle way between such competing philosophies as materialism and idealism, or hedonism and asceticism. This path, this middle way, is elaborated as the eightfold path.
.................................................. .............

suffering comes from desire, expectations, attachment, not having the things you want, so you are not happy.

Oooo this is awesome
Old 29-12-2010, 01:04 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciqala
Thanks John that makes sense and you understood well what i was talking about,
I'm going to explore more into this. But wouldn't feeling emotions and becoming immersed in the human reality, let us stray from our spiritual path? I guess i am referring more to nostalgia. I like to think that human reality is important, but i have heard some say, the lives we live are insignificant and to view life as such, is to be more enlightened. I don't feel that myself, i feel as if life should be celebrated as well - but then i wonder if i am being selfish to want to put things on a pedestal, keep them with me forever. And then i do remember, some of the lives i have lived, and those memories are not handed down with sadness, and I cannot remember everything about them, so it makes me think what is the point, in celebrating emotions entwined with memories, and this life, when it really doesn't matter, as i will forget this life anyway, and if i ever live again, or if i ever do remember this life, it will not be sad?
I'm still trying to grasp if emotions are beneficial, I mean, I know emotions are significant to teach us things, to move forward, but i'm not sure about nostalgia.

In my view, emotions are beneficial. Not so much to teach us anything but for its value as energy work. I see the need to balance all things.

In my case, despite the anger, sorrow, and physical/emotional pain, I have brought true joy into my life. There is something I call the choice of perception or perspective. One type leads to self empowerment and joy. The other leads to victimized sorrow.

It is the power of that choice that your energetic essence evaluates. That is the energy work that we the human perform. The one who learns from this is God.

It is also why we are so dearly loved.

John

http://www.telepathyacademy.net/
Old 29-12-2010, 02:44 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciqala
... wouldn't feeling emotions and becoming immersed in the human reality, let us stray from our spiritual path?

what is the point, in celebrating emotions entwined with memories, and this life, when it really doesn't matter, as i will forget this life anyway, and if i ever live again, or if i ever do remember this life, it will not be sad?

I'm still trying to grasp if emotions are beneficial, I mean, I know emotions are significant to teach us things, to move forward, but i'm not sure about nostalgia.

Cigala... In a way there's no answer to "Why do we feel emotions." We just do. They are built-in to our psyche.

Since this is how we are made it can't be that emotions cause us to lose spiritual awareness, as spirit is the source of everything we are.

It's over-involvement in emotions, over-involvement with thinking and with our surface ego-identity that veil our awareness of our true nature.

By developing the ability to witness whatever we experience with a little detachment, we eventually realize emotions, thoughts and surface are just on the surface of my being... and I AM my inner self... my true being.

As we grow in inner awareness whatever happens doesn't take us away from it any more. Even sadness and nostalgia is just life going on, without problems or pain.

Xan

Old 29-12-2010, 03:01 AM
Ciqala

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xan
Cigala... In a way there's no answer to "Why do we feel emotions." We just do. They are built-in to our psyche.

Since this is how we are made it can't be that emotions cause us to lose spiritual awareness, as spirit is the source of everything we are.

It's over-involvement in emotions, over-involvement with thinking and with our surface ego-identity that veil our awareness of our true nature.

By developing the ability to witness whatever we experience with a little detachment, we eventually realize emotions, thoughts and surface are just on the surface of my being... and I AM my inner self... my true being.

As we grow in inner awareness whatever happens doesn't take us away from it any more. Even sadness and nostalgia is just life going on, without problems or pain.

Xan
oh some good thoughts... self awareness and detachment is what seems logical to me, to be able to comprehend emotions like nostalgia, but notice that is the surface of my being.

Well... in all i still have an attachment for unnecessary things, like my house, my awesome crystal fountain i just spent 200 dollars on today... truthfully, this attachment type of emotion makes me not want to die, that could be a good thing i am aware of that to live life to the fullest, but my attachments do not seem very zen like. This affects my ability to be okay with reincarnation. I want my life to be important. I want to love the things around me, and especially, if i am not going to have them come 2012, who knows an earth disaster may destroy my house i love so dearly.

I used to be very opposite minded, this is why i am so confused of these new emotions inside of me. For example, i used to be okay with nothing, very content in just living in a tent with no possessions, i never had nostalgia for my childhood, never had emotion accept love towards my dead relatives, but now that i have found a love for everything around me, i am gaining attachments to things. And to little things, makes me greedy. I guess my spiritual awakening is bringing things up to the surface in general.
Old 29-12-2010, 03:16 AM
Master
I guess my spiritual awakening is bringing things up to the surface in general.

Yes, for sure, Cigala. You are noticing what you are still attached to, although at one point you didn't feel all that.

Now notice how you are attaching, in your mind. That's what keeps us trapped. It's not what we are holding on to but the clinging and resisting pattern itself.

As you are witnessing how your mind is working, notice... Is there open space here also?

Then pay attention into That.

All that we feel and think and experience goes on in the wide open space of pure awareness that is our true nature. Knowing this directly within ourselves we may still have relationships and work and feelings and all that goes on... but with a subtle difference of freedom.

Xan

Old 29-12-2010, 05:31 AM
Ciqala

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xan
I guess my spiritual awakening is bringing things up to the surface in general.

Yes, for sure, Cigala. You are noticing what you are still attached to, although at one point you didn't feel all that.

Now notice how you are attaching, in your mind. That's what keeps us trapped. It's not what we are holding on to but the clinging and resisting pattern itself.

As you are witnessing how your mind is working, notice... Is there open space here also?

Then pay attention into That.

All that we feel and think and experience goes on in the wide open space of pure awareness that is our true nature. Knowing this directly within ourselves we may still have relationships and work and feelings and all that goes on... but with a subtle difference of freedom.

Xan

I must say I really appreciate your wisdoms to all my many questions, and i highly revere your answers.

When i dissect my mind, i can see patterns usually stem from something, then going around many bends, corners, evolving into more shapes... until it reaches, fear, i think. I think fear is usually the basis to many emotions - at least in my case. Truthfully, i'm not sure awareness is working to combat fear, in which i think, in general, it is a fear of the unknown, or not having control over it, which obviously sprouts many other things.
And i can reach that open space of awareness, even during the time, but there are times i am still swept away, so i be aware and go back to the original fear, and i sacrifice myself (i guess that's a pretty harsh word for it) to trust and the universe. But, it seems i've been doing that initial sacrifice an awful lot lately.
Old 29-12-2010, 07:21 AM
Master
Yep... that's the process... that's the journey... just keep going...

Xan