Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Buddhism

Old 24-06-2018, 03:26 AM
Newbie ;)

will minimalism cure my depression and misery

I don't know if this is the right place to post this but I thought buddhists are the types of spiritual people who would be most inclined to become minimalists, and I sort of sometimes follow buddhist principles in my life and think it's quite similar.

I'm thinking of making the decision to become a minimalist and buddhist completely. I just watched the documentary about Minimalism. It's not like I want to get rid of my house, but I've realized that I am happy with everything I have.
I don't actually want anything more. I used to think I needed more money, a better paying job, more stuff, etc. I actually thought my dream was to own a mansion or a resort.

But after watching that documentary that I just felt called to watch, I asked myself what do I really want? And what I want is exactly what I already have lol. And then I asked myself what I don't want. And immediately I realized my addiction to the internet is way too time consuming. I mean to be honest, I was so miserable today because of bad news in my life, a lot of loss lately and I have an addictive personality so when I get miserable my tendency is to just distract myself from dealing with it by doing frivolous mundane things. But the worst thing I can do is sit on the computer.
I don't even know why I joined this forum, because I know being on the computer is not good for me. I seem to ask questions when I already know the answers, it's just that I don't want to accept these things I am asking about. Before that I was on reddit, and countless hours wasted, and nothing good ever comes from it. I mean, I posted something I thought was helpful for someone in response to their problem, and then got abused and even the moderators kicked me out, and I know in my heart I did nothing wrong, it's just there's so many unhealthy toxic people on the internet, and that always happens. I mean, I don't think anyone healthy even goes on the internet, because all the healthy people are actually outside living their lives doing things. This isn't living.
I mean, I spent all day laying in bed, on my laptop, I didn't even eat. Then I realized, oh I should eat something, so I drive out to pick up some chips. That's not healthy.
Then when I get home to eat the chips, I sit down in front of the tv and watch this documentary called Minimalism. And it tells me the whole world is messed up because all we care about is our gadgets, and computers and buying the next new thing, because we are always dissatisfied and never really paying attention to our souls.
And I'm just like, yep. THat's exactly what I needed to hear. And I know exactly what I need to do. I need to get rid of it all.

It's weird because, in the past week or so, I've been trying to figure out how to follow my intuition. Not just "follow" it but understand it. The ironic thing is, I do understand it now, I just don't like what it's telling me LOL. And it's not that I don't like what it's telling me either, that's not true. Because when I think about throwing my laptop out the window, I am filled with this amazing sense of liberation, joy, and just this deep inner knowing which is exactly what they've all been saying intuition feels like. Yet my addiction wants to hold onto it still.

I'm spiritually, emotionally mentally miserable just because a lot of bad things have happened in a very short time and I haven't been dealing with it, i've just been putting it off and not allowing myself to feel.

I think I am going to have to pull the plug on technology soon, and really force myself to just deal with it all. You know, if the internet didn't exist, and it was like the olden days when I was a kid and there was no internet, what would I be doing? Living life! Actually getting things done. It wasn't a bad life back then. But this... I mean this isn't good. I don't know why I'm ranting about this just after I joined this forum lol.
I doubt anyone here is going to agree with me anyway, so what's the point of me even posting this. I just need to figure out a plan of action. The only thing stopping me is that I am trying to find my birth dad, and I've sent facebook messages to some guys that I think might be him or might know him, and if I disconnect from the internet, how are they going to get ahold of me?
But then I guess all I have to do is give them my phone number... it's not like I have to deactivate my fb in order to disconnect from the internet. And maybe I don't need to disconnect forever, but just take a break until I can deal with all this stuff that is haunting me.
Old 24-06-2018, 02:47 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiritualLobster
I don't know if this is the right place to post this but I thought buddhists are the types of spiritual people who would be most inclined to become minimalists, and I sort of sometimes follow buddhist principles in my life and think it's quite similar.

I'm thinking of making the decision to become a minimalist and buddhist completely. I just watched the documentary about Minimalism. It's not like I want to get rid of my house, but I've realized that I am happy with everything I have.
I don't actually want anything more. I used to think I needed more money, a better paying job, more stuff, etc. I actually thought my dream was to own a mansion or a resort.

But after watching that documentary that I just felt called to watch, I asked myself what do I really want? And what I want is exactly what I already have lol. And then I asked myself what I don't want. And immediately I realized my addiction to the internet is way too time consuming. I mean to be honest, I was so miserable today because of bad news in my life, a lot of loss lately and I have an addictive personality so when I get miserable my tendency is to just distract myself from dealing with it by doing frivolous mundane things. But the worst thing I can do is sit on the computer.
I don't even know why I joined this forum, because I know being on the computer is not good for me. I seem to ask questions when I already know the answers, it's just that I don't want to accept these things I am asking about. Before that I was on reddit, and countless hours wasted, and nothing good ever comes from it. I mean, I posted something I thought was helpful for someone in response to their problem, and then got abused and even the moderators kicked me out, and I know in my heart I did nothing wrong, it's just there's so many unhealthy toxic people on the internet, and that always happens. I mean, I don't think anyone healthy even goes on the internet, because all the healthy people are actually outside living their lives doing things. This isn't living.
I mean, I spent all day laying in bed, on my laptop, I didn't even eat. Then I realized, oh I should eat something, so I drive out to pick up some chips. That's not healthy.
Then when I get home to eat the chips, I sit down in front of the tv and watch this documentary called Minimalism. And it tells me the whole world is messed up because all we care about is our gadgets, and computers and buying the next new thing, because we are always dissatisfied and never really paying attention to our souls.
And I'm just like, yep. THat's exactly what I needed to hear. And I know exactly what I need to do. I need to get rid of it all.

It's weird because, in the past week or so, I've been trying to figure out how to follow my intuition. Not just "follow" it but understand it. The ironic thing is, I do understand it now, I just don't like what it's telling me LOL. And it's not that I don't like what it's telling me either, that's not true. Because when I think about throwing my laptop out the window, I am filled with this amazing sense of liberation, joy, and just this deep inner knowing which is exactly what they've all been saying intuition feels like. Yet my addiction wants to hold onto it still.

I'm spiritually, emotionally mentally miserable just because a lot of bad things have happened in a very short time and I haven't been dealing with it, i've just been putting it off and not allowing myself to feel.

I think I am going to have to pull the plug on technology soon, and really force myself to just deal with it all. You know, if the internet didn't exist, and it was like the olden days when I was a kid and there was no internet, what would I be doing? Living life! Actually getting things done. It wasn't a bad life back then. But this... I mean this isn't good. I don't know why I'm ranting about this just after I joined this forum lol.
I doubt anyone here is going to agree with me anyway, so what's the point of me even posting this. I just need to figure out a plan of action. The only thing stopping me is that I am trying to find my birth dad, and I've sent facebook messages to some guys that I think might be him or might know him, and if I disconnect from the internet, how are they going to get ahold of me?
But then I guess all I have to do is give them my phone number... it's not like I have to deactivate my fb in order to disconnect from the internet. And maybe I don't need to disconnect forever, but just take a break until I can deal with all this stuff that is haunting me.

No harm in trying, if you don't try you will never know
Old 07-10-2018, 12:29 PM
Experiencer
Lobster, dude, I know exactly what you mean. I wish the Internet had never been invented. I'm online most of the day, every day, I think that's why I'm depressed and miserable. I've actually thrown my laptop away a few times, but I took it out of the trash every time. I have quite a few books and I almost never read them because I'm online so much. The Internet isn't even interesting for the most part, it's just way too stimulating and convenient. I've read interesting things on the Internet and studied them, but beyond that, the Internet just sucks. It's really a terrible waste of time. I've become so dependent on the Internet that I almost can't imagine living without it. The thought of being free from the Internet is very good to me, but at this point, I hardly think it's possible.
Old 07-10-2018, 02:51 PM
Knower

challenge yourself to some reading and do a little writing. who cares what it sounds like or if you feel self conscious or whatever. minimalism can also involve eating not just healthier food, but environmentally friendly food. you'll begin to feel the corporate monster fade from your heart. detach yourself from the system. and i am serious about reading. your personality shines.
Old 18-10-2018, 09:43 AM
Seeker

Sorry to hear what you are going through.

Yup, internet addiction is a real problem. But hard to be totally offline in this age and time.... I think the key is to reduce exposure and find a more meaningful activity.

Instead of jumping into a minimalist life, try exploring the less extreme middle path as you are already happy with what you have.

Hope you get better soon.
Old 18-10-2018, 02:00 PM
Knower

I understand exactly what you're going through. After a paricular career path I'd been striving after revealed itself to be a big mistake, I spent about three years spinning my wheels, trying to figure out what to do next--and threw so much of those three years into the black hole of the internet.

I think my attraction to it was that it often felt purposeful--I was giving advice, solving problems, hunting for information, learning new things--at a time when I'd lost my sense of purpose. It helped me feel engaged with the world, and with other people, at a time when I felt profoundly disengaged.

In retrospect, I can see that I did get some good things out of it; my writing skills improved dramatically, for example, because I was participating in some communities that were full of smart, educated people who didn't tolerate sloppy language. But I was still adrift, and the internet was merely giving me the illusion that I was actually doing anything.

Ditching the internet entirely wasn't the answer; the whole world is too "plugged in," and going fully offline is too isolating. This is the way the world is, now. This is how we communicate, and exchange information, here in the early 21st century.

So you're spending hours every day online. Okay. But I have two questions for you: "Why do you have so much time available to throw away on the internet in the first place?" and "What do you imagine you would you be doing if you weren't online?"

I don't think the solution is to abandon the internet. I think the solution is to find something else to do that is genuinely productive, meaningful, and engaging, and that pulls you off your couch and away from your laptop. There's an empty space in your life you're trying to fill, and a lack of purpose, direction, and meaning to your life, and while the internet is an extremely effective distraction from that, it's just that.

So yes, of course, you're depressed and miserable--you need something to do, somewhere to go, some way to use your brain and your hands that is meaningful, and you don't have it. The solution is not to ditch the thing you're using as a substitute, but rather to get off the couch and go find the real thing.

Volunteer somewhere, for some cause you care about. Go learn a new skill you've always wished you could. If you don't have a job, get one, even if it's just to get you out of the house and interacting with other people while you figure out what gives your life meaning and purpose. Take on some responsibility, and commit to something. It'll be awkward at first, but that's okay; just keep showing up, and moving toward that which feels most meaningful to you.
Old 19-10-2018, 06:13 AM
Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandering_Star
I understand exactly what you're going through. After a paricular career path I'd been striving after revealed itself to be a big mistake, I spent about three years spinning my wheels, trying to figure out what to do next--and threw so much of those three years into the black hole of the internet.

I think my attraction to it was that it often felt purposeful--I was giving advice, solving problems, hunting for information, learning new things--at a time when I'd lost my sense of purpose. It helped me feel engaged with the world, and with other people, at a time when I felt profoundly disengaged.

In retrospect, I can see that I did get some good things out of it; my writing skills improved dramatically, for example, because I was participating in some communities that were full of smart, educated people who didn't tolerate sloppy language. But I was still adrift, and the internet was merely giving me the illusion that I was actually doing anything.

Ditching the internet entirely wasn't the answer; the whole world is too "plugged in," and going fully offline is too isolating. This is the way the world is, now. This is how we communicate, and exchange information, here in the early 21st century.

So you're spending hours every day online. Okay. But I have two questions for you: "Why do you have so much time available to throw away on the internet in the first place?" and "What do you imagine you would you be doing if you weren't online?"

I don't think the solution is to abandon the internet. I think the solution is to find something else to do that is genuinely productive, meaningful, and engaging, and that pulls you off your couch and away from your laptop. There's an empty space in your life you're trying to fill, and a lack of purpose, direction, and meaning to your life, and while the internet is an extremely effective distraction from that, it's just that.

So yes, of course, you're depressed and miserable--you need something to do, somewhere to go, some way to use your brain and your hands that is meaningful, and you don't have it. The solution is not to ditch the thing you're using as a substitute, but rather to get off the couch and go find the real thing.

Volunteer somewhere, for some cause you care about. Go learn a new skill you've always wished you could. If you don't have a job, get one, even if it's just to get you out of the house and interacting with other people while you figure out what gives your life meaning and purpose. Take on some responsibility, and commit to something. It'll be awkward at first, but that's okay; just keep showing up, and moving toward that which feels most meaningful to you.

Well said.

The idea is to get up and move on with life.
Old 03-01-2021, 04:08 AM
Newbie ;)

Depression is definitely real and it sounds like you’ve been through a lot. In addition, it sounds like you are aware of the behaviors that are interfering with your life.

Minimalism is definitely a practice that requires a certain mindset. I remember in the midst of my depressive downfall, I would buy ‘things’ and was SURROUNDED. I felt trapped. Until, I just decided I wanted it all gone. So that’s what I did. I put things in huge boxes, took them to the donation center and my room was bare. Only my bed, nightstand and desk. I told myself I wouldn’t have more than 4 objects on my wall. My desk would be uncluttered and I would clean out my closet.

I felt amazing after that. It was like a breath of fresh air. I opened my windows and let the fresh air in and it just changed everything. I felt better in my room. It is my utopia. Try it out!
Old 03-01-2021, 04:20 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiritualLobster

Sometimes our body cry out for a change
and then we start to listen to our body.

Sounds like you know what has to be done.

⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜ ⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜

Happiness is the result of an enlightened mind whereas suffering is caused by a distorted mind.
   ⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜ ⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜