Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Buddhism

Old 06-10-2016, 06:59 PM
Ascender

The 5 precepts and the 7 forms

I have only read a little on Buddhism so I would appreciate any insight on if there are similarities between the 5 precepts( or any other Buddhist teachings) and the 7 forms
The first form is darkness, the second desire, the third ignorance, the fourth is the excitement of death, the fifth is the kingdom of the flesh, the sixth is the foolish wisdom of flesh, the seventh is the wrathful wisdom. These are the seven powers of wrath
Here is Mary Magdelene telling the apostles what Jesus had said to her in a vision after the crucifixion.I also suspect that Jesus may have been talking about Enlightenment when he talks about overcoming the 7 forms.

10) I said to Him, Lord, how does he who sees the vision see it, through the soul or through the spirit?

11) The Savior answered and said, He does not see through the soul nor through the spirit, but the mind that is between the two that is what sees the vision and it is [...]

(pages 11 - 14 are missing from the manuscript)

Chapter 8:

. . . it.

10) And desire said, I did not see you descending, but now I see you ascending. Why do you lie since you belong to me?

11) The soul answered and said, I saw you. You did not see me nor recognize me. I served you as a garment and you did not know me.

12) When it said this, it (the soul) went away rejoicing greatly.

13) Again it came to the third power, which is called ignorance.

14) The power questioned the soul, saying, Where are you going? In wickedness are you bound. But you are bound; do not judge!

15) And the soul said, Why do you judge me, although I have not judged?

16) I was bound, though I have not bound.

17) I was not recognized. But I have recognized that the All is being dissolved, both the earthly things and the heavenly.

18) When the soul had overcome the third power, it went upwards and saw the fourth power, which took seven forms.

19) The first form is darkness, the second desire, the third ignorance, the fourth is the excitement of death, the fifth is the kingdom of the flesh, the sixth is the foolish wisdom of flesh, the seventh is the wrathful wisdom. These are the seven powers of wrath.

20) They asked the soul, Whence do you come slayer of men, or where are you going, conqueror of space?

21) The soul answered and said, What binds me has been slain, and what turns me about has been overcome,

22) and my desire has been ended, and ignorance has died.

23) In a aeon I was released from a world, and in a Type from a type, and from the fetter of oblivion which is transient.

24) From this time on will I attain to the rest of the time, of the season, of the aeon, in silence.
http://gnosis.org/library/marygosp.htm
Old 06-10-2016, 07:49 PM
Master
@barrynu......Five Precepts are the basis of Buddhist morality. The first precept is to avoid killing or harming living beings. The second is to avoid stealing, the third is to avoid sexual misconduct, the fourth is to avoid lying and the fifth is to avoid alcohol and other intoxicating drugs.

Totally different...

Have you read the Gospel Of Thomas ?
Old 06-10-2016, 08:30 PM
Ascender

The first precept is similar to the form of darkness
The second precept is similar to the form of desire
the third precept is similar to the kingdom of the flesh
The fourth precept is similar to the form of wrathful wisdom
The fifth precept is similar to the foolish wisdom of the flesh.

I see the similarities and I would not say "totally different"....look again

Yes.I have read the Gospel of Thomas.....very Enlightening
Old 06-10-2016, 09:30 PM
Suspended
Hey barrynu,

As for seeing vision is by the third eyesight or third eye. My third eyesight is the energy from my left and right brain joining together and forming another eye inside my brain which can see inside and outside my body. Vision can be a dream but see by him. The vision is similar as dream when we sleep.

The third eyesight is the light staying in the midbrain. We have to practice to see outside instead only see as a Buddhist to see the astral playground inside him. Even we close our human eyes, our third eyesight still can see outside and it can be as far as in the universe.
Old 06-10-2016, 09:47 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrynu
The first precept is similar to the form of darkness
The second precept is similar to the form of desire
the third precept is similar to the kingdom of the flesh
The fourth precept is similar to the form of wrathful wisdom
The fifth precept is similar to the foolish wisdom of the flesh.

I see the similarities and I would not say "totally different"....look again

Yes.I have read the Gospel of Thomas.....very Enlightening
The precepts are part of what Buddhists call "sila". Sila is the ethics and morality. The precepts are basic rules for ethical conduct, so the precepts themselves are similar to the ten commandments. Sila, however, has broader relevance to Buddhist philosophy of ethics.
Old 07-10-2016, 12:00 AM
Master
Quote:

20) They asked the soul, Whence do you come slayer of men, or where are you going, conqueror of space?

21) The soul answered and said, What binds me has been slain, and what turns me about has been overcome,

22) and my desire has been ended, and ignorance has died.

That which binds is the attachment to desires, desire of the flesh of worry of life and death as mentioned above.

Quote:
23) In a aeon I was released from a world, and in a Type from a type, and from the fetter of oblivion which is transient.

We are eternal and Death is transient. When one frees oneself from attachments and realizes there true self they become free from the cycles of life and death.

Quote:
24) From this time on will I attain to the rest of the time, of the season, of the aeon, in silence.

This is about the state of mind of silence and how no thoughts arise or attach.

Some similar meanings from the gospel of Thomas.

2. Jesus said, "Those who seek should not stop seeking until they find. When they find, they will be disturbed. When they are disturbed, they will marvel, and will reign over all. [And after they have reigned they will rest.]"

50. Jesus said, "If they say to you, 'Where have you come from?' say to them, 'We have come from the light, from the place where the light came into being by itself, established [itself], and appeared in their image.' If they say to you, 'Is it you?' say, 'We are its children, and we are the chosen of the living Father.' If they ask you, 'What is the evidence of your Father in you?' say to them, 'It is motion and rest.'"

90. Jesus said, "Come to me, for my yoke is comfortable and my lordship is gentle, and you will find rest for yourselves." 91. They said to him, "Tell us who you are so that we may believe in you." He said to them, "You examine the face of heaven and earth, but you have not come to know the one who is in your presence, and you do not know how to examine the present moment."
Old 07-10-2016, 11:58 AM
Ascender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem
so the precepts themselves are similar to the ten commandments.
Yes they are.
I was trying to link the 7 forms(Jesus) with the precepts (Buddha)and you have mentioned the 10 commandments(Moses) which are also similar so I do believe we/they are all looking at the same thing.......we put our belief's in a box and label them with a religious or non religious name.I have no "box" anymore and its great but it is harder to communicate with people when they are in their box.

There is nothing wrong with being in a religious/non religious box but being outside of the box is much more expansive....you can see further.
Old 07-10-2016, 11:59 AM
Ascender

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesboy
That which binds is the attachment to desires, desire of the flesh of worry of life and death as mentioned above.

We are eternal and Death is transient. When one frees oneself from attachments and realizes there true self they become free from the cycles of life and death.

This is about the state of mind of silence and how no thoughts arise or attach.

Some similar meanings from the gospel of Thomas.

2. Jesus said, "Those who seek should not stop seeking until they find. When they find, they will be disturbed. When they are disturbed, they will marvel, and will reign over all. [And after they have reigned they will rest.]"

50. Jesus said, "If they say to you, 'Where have you come from?' say to them, 'We have come from the light, from the place where the light came into being by itself, established [itself], and appeared in their image.' If they say to you, 'Is it you?' say, 'We are its children, and we are the chosen of the living Father.' If they ask you, 'What is the evidence of your Father in you?' say to them, 'It is motion and rest.'"

90. Jesus said, "Come to me, for my yoke is comfortable and my lordship is gentle, and you will find rest for yourselves." 91. They said to him, "Tell us who you are so that we may believe in you." He said to them, "You examine the face of heaven and earth, but you have not come to know the one who is in your presence, and you do not know how to examine the present moment."
Thank you jonesboy for your imput
Old 07-10-2016, 12:04 PM
Ascender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Bong
Hey barrynu,

As for seeing vision is by the third eyesight or third eye. My third eyesight is the energy from my left and right brain joining together and forming another eye inside my brain which can see inside and outside my body. Vision can be a dream but see by him. The vision is similar as dream when we sleep.

The third eyesight is the light staying in the midbrain. We have to practice to see outside instead only see as a Buddhist to see the astral playground inside him. Even we close our human eyes, our third eyesight still can see outside and it can be as far as in the universe.
Synchronicity....As I lay in bed this morning my third eye started to produce visions...nothing amazing, like dreams but I was awake,I stayed in bed for an extra 4 hours allowing it to continue/practice.
Old 07-10-2016, 12:53 PM
Suspended
Quote:
Synchronicity....As I lay in bed this morning my third eye started to produce visions...nothing amazing, like dreams but I was awake,I stayed in bed for an extra 4 hours allowing it to continue/practice.

The one what you mentioned I suppose it's the consciousness not third eye. It can only see inside our bodies. To explore inside is more easy but outside is a different stuff.

Mine is seeing outside and inside is penetrating to" all solid" inside and outside. It's not like a dream if we icould analysis it carefully.....

Last edited by Jeremy Bong : 07-10-2016 at 03:23 PM.