Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Complementary Therapies & Traditional Medicine > Hypnosis

Old 24-04-2011, 03:48 AM
Master

Is this hypnotism?

Is this hypnotism? If you do not get yourself deeply relaxed and if you just keep repeating everyday, several times a day, for example, I hate smoking etc. Can that work just as well as not getting deeply relaxed first.
Thanks for your replies.
Old 24-04-2011, 04:46 AM
Krishna-prem

Hi Astral,

Hypnosis has absolutely nothing to do with relaxation. There are lots of hypnotists out there who don't use relaxation at all, I often don't. Relaxation however is a useful gateway into hypnosis when appropriate.

Saying to yourself everyday that you hate smoking may have some benefit however it is not hypnosis. This is because you are not bypassing the critical factor in your mind. Hypnosis is the bypassing of the critical factor (or conscious mind) If you do not bypass it and stimulate and unconscious response then it is not hypnosis.

Also smoking cessation is a sophisticated process. It is not just a matter of thinking you hate smoking. There is a LOT of background work that goes into a successful hypnotic smoking cessation program.

Cheers!

KP
Old 06-07-2011, 08:40 AM
psychonaut salamander

say to yourself: I LIKE OXYGEN :)
Old 06-07-2011, 12:17 PM
Medium_Laura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna-prem
Hi Astral,

Hypnosis has absolutely nothing to do with relaxation. There are lots of hypnotists out there who don't use relaxation at all, I often don't. Relaxation however is a useful gateway into hypnosis when appropriate.

Saying to yourself everyday that you hate smoking may have some benefit however it is not hypnosis. This is because you are not bypassing the critical factor in your mind. Hypnosis is the bypassing of the critical factor (or conscious mind) If you do not bypass it and stimulate and unconscious response then it is not hypnosis.

Also smoking cessation is a sophisticated process. It is not just a matter of thinking you hate smoking. There is a LOT of background work that goes into a successful hypnotic smoking cessation program.

Cheers!

KP

I will agree with KP here. My father quit drinking after 40 years of being an alcoholic. It took months and lots of sessions. Eventually though, he disliked the taste of even "beer battered fish", he said it was "spoiled tasting". It is reprogramming your mind and it does work because I saw it happen. He didn't drink for 35 years until his death. That's some powerful reconditioning! :)
Old 06-07-2011, 05:28 PM
Aquarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by astralsuzy
Is this hypnotism? If you do not get yourself deeply relaxed and if you just keep repeating everyday, several times a day, for example, I hate smoking etc. Can that work just as well as not getting deeply relaxed first.
What's important is that you believe the statement.

You can also do it with questions:
"What do I dislike most about smoking?"
"How quickly can I learn to dismiss cravings and only smoke when I truly want to?"

No relaxation necessary.
Old 29-03-2012, 01:18 AM
BwellBTR

Astalsuzy... It is not hypnosis, yet it is a format for the modifacation of a behavior. If you truly wish to stop smoking understand clearly why you choose to make the change in your behavior. Don't view it as I am going to quit, see it for what it is a habit. For any number of reason you may have started the practice, and you continue because you have given it a slot in you daily behavior. Smoking had a purpose then, but you find it to have become questionable as a reward at this stage of your understanding. Recognise that reason and use your new understanding as a reenforcement for the non smoking you. Never tell yourself I can't smoke anymore, say to yourself right now I choose not to have a cigarette, but I'll see if I still want one in say ten miniutes. If you think you smoke "all" the time, look for the time you don't. When your in the shower do you smoke? When your asleep do you smoke? There is a very good chance that in a 24 hour day you are a non smoker more than a smoker. If that is true for you, you just need to change the behaviors for those times you would otherwise be smoking... worked for me 30 years ago and still does today...
Old 29-03-2012, 01:44 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by astralsuzy
Thanks for your replies.

suzy... Hypnotism works because by relaxing down deeply you put yourself in an alpha state, where your subconscious mind is much more open to suggestions than the surface mind.

But saying something like "I hate smoking" (which may be just an example and not what you're really working on) sets up a negative pattern of conflict in your mind.

To be effective self-suggestions need to be positive.... and you need to clearly see and feel yourself going ahead in the new way.

When doubts or resistances come up, acknowledge them and let them go, then continue with your positive reinforcement.

Xan

Old 29-03-2012, 09:01 AM
Master

I am amazed. I had forgotten about this thread. It was nearly a year ago when I wrote it. I could not believe I wrote it until I read it.
Thanks for your replies. I agree with everyone. By the way, I do not smoke. I hate smoking. It was just an example.
Old 01-09-2013, 09:55 PM
overtherainbow

There are some really good replies.