Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Judaism

Old 18-05-2011, 07:42 PM
Time

I think we forget jesus was jewish, living in a jewish area ( if he existed). Even pilot passed off jesus the first time becasue, as jesus christ super star put it " hes harods race, hes harods case".

I think the main question should be either " what do people who practice judeism think of jesus", or this one elaborated " what do jewish people think of jesus".....

If im not mistakin, judaism never mentiones jesus. Only by mentioning the messiah, which is ASSUMED to be jesus, but this is after the OT ( which is essentialy the torah).

So i guess if you asking what the jewish faith think of JS ( i have to assume your meaning judaism), then read the OT/Torah, and im sure rabbio can reccommend some literature to read up on.
Old 19-05-2011, 08:25 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by RabbiO
Honza -

Actually, I hadn't brought up the Immaculate Conception - which refers not to Jesus, but rather Mary being born without sin. Jews do not believe in original sin so there is no need for the IC.

B'shalom,

Peter

I thought the Immaculate Conception was the condition of Mary concieving Christ while still a virgin i.e. through God.

The Humility, the Pride and the Humiliation.
Old 19-05-2011, 08:30 AM
Animus27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honza
I thought the Immaculate Conception was the condition of Mary concieving Christ while still a virgin i.e. through God.
No, it's a Catholic doctrine that Mary was born without the taint of original sin.
Old 23-05-2011, 11:59 PM
A Glass named Esther

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time

If im not mistakin, judaism never mentiones jesus. Only by mentioning the messiah, which is ASSUMED to be jesus, but this is after the OT ( which is essentialy the torah).

jesus did not complete any of the tasks that the Messiah is supposed to complete. If anything, the opposite happened.

When Moshiach comes we can look forward to:

-All of the Jewish exiles moving back to Israel (after jesus the Jews were scattered all over the Earth)
-The Temple being rebuilt (after jesus, one of the Temples were destroyed)
-Lasting world peace (after jesus there were many wars...including two world wars)

On another note:

From what I understand, there is a concept in Christianity of believing in Jesus. As an indirect comparison, Jews didn't have to "believe" in Moses. The transmission of Torah didn't start with G-d speaking to one prophet who would gain a following over time. Instead, the entire Jewish Nation personally experienced divine revelation at the time of receiving the Torah at Mt. Sinai. You could consider Moses to be transparent.

-esther
Old 24-05-2011, 12:03 AM
tragblack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animus27
No, it's a Catholic doctrine that Mary was born without the taint of original sin.

I don't remember studying that in Catholic school... I thought she was born as a mortal, with original sin like everyone else, as she was conceived by humans. It was Jesus only, in Catholic doctrine, who was without original sin, I thought...
Old 24-05-2011, 12:40 AM
A Glass named Esther

Quote:

Immaculate conception is a very non-Torah idea. Besides, G-d is the third partner in every intimate union between husband and wife.
Old 30-05-2011, 09:38 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by tragblack
I don't remember studying that in Catholic school... I thought she was born as a mortal, with original sin like everyone else, as she was conceived by humans. It was Jesus only, in Catholic doctrine, who was without original sin, I thought...

Exactly. I agree. That is how I understood it.

The Humility, the Pride and the Humiliation.
Old 01-06-2011, 12:25 AM
Experiencer
Quote:
Exactly. I agree. That is how I understood it.

This little bit from Wikipedia -

"The Immaculate Conception of Mary is, according to Catholic doctrine, the conception of the Virgin Mary without any stain ("macula" in Latin) of Original Sin. It is one of the four dogmata in Roman Catholic Mariology. The doctrine states that, from the first moment of her existence, Mary was preserved by God from the Original Sin and filled with sanctifying grace that would normally come with baptism after birth. Catholics believe Mary "was free from any personal or hereditary sin".

From early on in the history of the Catholic Church, in numerous places in the writings of the Church Fathers, the belief is implied. In various places the feast of the Immaculate Conception had been celebrated for centuries on 8 December when, on 28 February 1476, Pope Sixtus IV extended it to the entire Latin Church. He did not define the doctrine as a dogma, thus leaving Roman Catholics free to believe in it or not without being accused of heresy; this freedom was reiterated by the Council of Trent. However, the feast was a strong indication of the Church's traditional belief in the Immaculate Conception. On 6 December 1708 Pope Clement XI decreed that the feast of the Immaculate Conception be a Holy Day of Obligation.[10] throughout the entire Catholic Church.

The Immaculate Conception was solemnly defined as a dogma by Pope Pius IX in his constitution Ineffabilis Deus on 8 December 1854."

B'shalom,

Peter
Old 09-06-2011, 07:41 PM
gentledove

Why do you guys use the term G-d?
Old 09-06-2011, 09:51 PM
Experiencer
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentledove
Why do you guys use the term G-d?

In truth it is a convention that has become minhag, custom, among many Jews. I appreciate the reason for it and so out of respect for my fellow Jews I follow it, even though I recognize that actually there is no need for it.

It revolves around the holiness of G-d's name and respect of G-d's name and the attempt to not do anything to profane it. I will not go into all the whys and wherefores, but as G-d is, in fact, not G-d's name there is no prohibition against using the "o". Furthermore, under halacha, Jewish law, prohibitions regarding the writing of G-d's name actually only apply to the name written in Hebrew.

This is one instance where Jews have created a fence, so to speak, in order to make sure that halacha is not violated.

B'shalom,

Peter