Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > General Beliefs

Old 04-11-2018, 06:04 PM
Master
If words have vibrations.. like nice words or foul words.. then surely names have vibrations and meaning too..
I don't know to what extent it is true and determined but I'm a believer and rather 'superstitious' about names, numbers, and symbols myself..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Tiger
For my part, I have never liked my name. It doesn't resonate with me in the slightest. It was simply a popular girls' name the year I was born. Do I think my name has any sort of power? No, not at all.

However I feel that I also have a True Name, the name I would have liked to have, perhaps the name I chose before coming. It's similar to my given name, but both itterations of it that I like carry so much more power, and feel so much less limiting and "vague." It's almost like my parents NEARLY got the message and then got sort of muddled.

So they named me "Susan" which when you say it is sort of a slurred sound and not pretty at all.

I wanted either Suzanne or Sheshana (both variants of Susan). Suzanne is so much more open and Sheshana sounds exotic. So I guess my parents got the memo, but couldn't quite make out the handwriting lol.
But you can change your name...? It will cost you money (varies with the country) but if it's really so much of a deal for you I would say go for it.. change your name and always be Suzanne or Sheshana, not just to yourself!
Old 04-11-2018, 06:21 PM
Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altair
But you can change your name...? It will cost you money (varies with the country) but if it's really so much of a deal for you I would say go for it.. change your name and always be Suzanne or Sheshana, not just to yourself!

Yes, I could change my name. It isn't that much of a deal to me, and it seems a bit pointless at my age. If I were younger I'd DEFINITELY go for it. But for now I simply find numerology based on names never seems to quite fit. I've come to accept it over the years...

BUT when I write I use Suzanne as part of my Pen Name :) It somehow feels like a secret identity or super power lol.
Old 04-11-2018, 07:37 PM
Master
Names have meaning, which creates power

Quote:
Yes, I could change my name. It isn't that much of a deal to me, and it seems a bit pointless at my age. If I were younger I'd DEFINITELY go for it. But for now I simply find numerology based on names never seems to quite fit. I've come to accept it over the years...

BUT when I write I use Suzanne as part of my Pen Name :) It somehow feels like a secret identity or super power lol.
Does the acceptance mean you're genuinely satisfied about it though..? You're only 52 so possibly many decades in front of you with a name. But I guess it all depends on what acceptance means to you. And yes.. names have power, especially if we like them.. it creates meaning for us, bolstered because of specific contexts or experiences!
Old 05-11-2018, 10:50 AM
Greenslade

Quote:
I guess there's your answer, your given name doesn't sit right with you and it's 'out of whack' with your vibes and numerology. I've found that all the numerology suits my given name nicely and other than the feeling of being a tad grandiose I'm fine with my name.

I have a friend who's called Vicenta and she hates the name with a vengeance, the trouble is the name suits her perfectly. The reason she hates it so much is because she can't or won't acknowledge who and what she is. The name means 'victor' and she's certainly one of those in ife's arena.

Quote:
It's worth an explore, what you feel when you use that name. The name Greenslade eventually became a character from a story I was writing, and I was using it at the time to explore facets of myself. He was always the rebel and the sceptic, hard on the outside yet soft on the inside. Alter egos are a part of our multi-dimensionality and have something to show us if we become friends with them.
Old 05-11-2018, 11:00 AM
Administrator
I Remember calling the woman who was my mother a stupid moron for giving me my name,no one can say it and I hate it.im still pondering on changing it.

Namaste
Old 05-11-2018, 05:36 PM
Knower
In modern times are names are more like numbers, not a reflection who we are. One must find ones name through the Vision Quest. Then you can paint your name on your Shield (Mirror or Heart). Once you know who you are, then your name can have more power.
Old 06-11-2018, 12:03 AM
Administrator
Yes Little Creek I have heard that before.

Namaste
Old 07-11-2018, 12:05 AM
Ankhesenamun

There is definitely something to it and names do carry a lot of power. They are in fact so powerful that the Ancient Egyptians wrote Pharaoh's name in a cartouche - to protect the name. One's name is one's identity.

I have also experienced this very strongly because my biological "parents", who were extremely abusive and didn't want me to be born, gave me a truly horrible name without any meaning. It's also a Catholic name - I am from a Jewish and Native American family! They did that on purpose to make my life difficult.

I've had no end issues with that name. People have made fun of it, used it to abuse me, mispronounced it on purpose, or assumed I must be Spanish (it's a Spanish name). I am not Spanish. I don't even speak Spanish. I love South America (most South American countries are Spanish speaking) but it's not my background.

As a young girl then I came to find my true name. I haven't given it to myself but someone gave it to me - accidentally actually - and I use this name now. It's a beautiful and simple name and it's a Jewish and Arabic name which is more in tune with my background (I am from Egypt). In Hebrew it means "Princess" which is very matching to who I was in a previous lifetime.

Since I am using this name, people have not used my name to abuse me. They have not made fun of it or on purpose mispronounced it. In general I get respected a lot more.

Unfortunately I am unable to change my name legally and on my passport for various reasons, so on my passport it still says this Spanish name. When I deal with official matters and organizations where my details get taken from my passport, such as the bank, driver's license etc, people insist on addressing me by this official name. It always results in me reacting with "who is so and so"? And people saying "but that's your name", prompting me to say "no this is not my name". And then it's inevitable that a major argument starts despite me patiently explaining the circumstances.

It affects me rather badly that I cannot change my name legally. Because there are still people out there now who assume me to be something and someone that I am not. These people inevitably react in an abusive manner towards me. People who don't know about this official name and only know me by my real name, tend to respect me as a normal human being. That's not to say there is anything wrong as such with my legal name - it's just not my name, it was forced on me out of hatred and not given to me by loving parents, and it does not reflect my personality or who and what I am.

So yes, names do define us and they also define how others see us.
Old 15-11-2018, 09:11 PM
Seeker

As a teacher I can say that I notice very often that children of the same name have the same attitude or behaviour. But there are always exceptions. So at my school I could say that three out of four "Nicos" or "Leons" are quite a handful ;) but each time I have made up my mind about a certain name there will be a student who proofs me wrong.

I don't really like my own name, but the older I get the more I am at piece with it, so maybe my parents chose the right one after all and I just had to grow into it. When I was small I imagined I was the queen of a kind of fairy country and found another name for myself which I sometimes use to speak to myself whenever I am supposed to act bravely like a warrior. So, yes, each name has a certain engery which is why it took me ages to name my children.

@Ankhesenamun - Are you sure that your birth name has "no meaning" I have never heard of a name that has no meaning.