Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Lifestyle > Vegetarian & Vegan

Old 20-04-2012, 08:26 AM
Master

How many vegetarians?...

How many vegetarians are there in the world?

http://www.raw-food-health.net/NumberOfVegetarians.html

http://holy-lance.blogspot.com
Old 24-12-2014, 06:43 PM
Seeker

Only 3% in US...that's low. Poor animals.
Old 29-12-2014, 01:47 AM
bliss

India has 500 million vegetarians. :) they rule from that point of view.

In the world i think there are about 900 million vegetarians.
Old 29-12-2014, 02:12 AM
Everly

The 3% (approx.) figure for the US and the world is from a modest study around '07 or so. Current studies show that the world percentage is about 5%.

If people only knew the truth... They think they do, but they don't. If they knew that pigs are often boiled alive...that chickens and turkeys have their beaks and feet amputated...that cows... Well, point is, people hide their heads in the sand and refuse to really examine the truths in their lives regarding other sentient beings.
Old 29-12-2014, 09:12 PM
Experiencer
Everly, it is truly a sad life of unspeakable cruelty the animals live. There is video footage readily available online of the treatment they endure. People turn a blind eye. :(
Old 29-12-2014, 09:48 PM
Master

An old post. The figure has risen quite a bit since then.
More and more people are embracing compassionate living as they become more spiritually aware and understanding of what really goes in the meat & dairy industries...

http://holy-lance.blogspot.com
Old 29-12-2014, 10:01 PM
Deactivated Account

I am working on it! A lot of changes were made in my home when my son's appendix was ruptured, even though the doctors said it wasn't related to his diet, I still can't help to think what I could have done to prevent the risks.

It's a process for us, one that will take time. So far most meats have been eliminated in my home. Chicken is the hardest one for us. .
Old 29-12-2014, 10:22 PM
Experiencer
Greetings,

I wonder how many vegetarians know that one heck of a lot of alcohol is not vegetarian. Of all my vegetarian friends I am the only one who has known this fact for years. Strangely, these commited vegetarian friends of mine still continue consume it.

JOHNTY
Old 30-12-2014, 02:45 AM
Everly

I hear you, Johnty! Although most of the vegheads I know are well aware of the problems w/ many alcoholic beverages, I actually know a few who just don't care. I think sometimes it's an issue of compromise. Some people compromise on X, others on Y. Some make no compromises.

Many years ago on the now-defunct vegan-l discussion list I coined a now-popular term: practical vegan. I was defending those who, for various reasons, do the best they can in their unique circumstances to be true to veganism, but that sometimes compromises have to be made. We can't always know the details of others' lives, and each person's situation is unique.

Example: A dedicated vegan I knew was an aerobics instructor. For various reasons she was unable to find non-leather shoes for aerobics. (They're easy to find now.) That was her compromise. It was her unique situation.

I've been vegan for a long time and I've had to make occasional compromises for all kinds of reasons. I have limits,of course, and my compromises are small. Veganism is central to my spiritual belief system.

I haven't priced vegan wines and beers lately, but they used to be much more expensive than the regular stuff. Are they still more expensive?
Old 30-12-2014, 09:17 PM
Experiencer
Greetings Everly,

A year or so ago I was in a big store, my wife was busy chatting, you know, as women do, and we were stood near the beer and spirit aisle so, out of curiosity I started scanning the lables. Much to my surprise I saw a number of bottles, assorted types of beers by the same manufacturer, clearly marked 'Suitable for Vegetarians' - but at what a cost!! Sheesh!! You'd have to be rich and totally dedicated to buy any of that lot. But there you go, if you are a vegetarian and you like the odd glass or two of beer those bottles are out there.

Personally, if I was living on my own I'd go vegan. As it is I cause enough trouble in my family by searching for non-leather goods - but over the years I've stuck to my guns and my two grown-up children are now vegetarian and my wife an understanding but reluctant one. The good thing is they all know I will not allow any meat, fish or fowl in my house and they do go along with that principle - even to the point of depositing all their loose change into a vegeatrian animal sanctuary charity box we keep at home.

The only compromise I made concerning 'not buying leather' was when I worked in a factory. The ruling was that all footwear had to have steel toecaps - I had no choice. It was either buy and wear them or leave. I'm afraid I had to buy them because the money was good and I needed it to pay the mortgage etc.

Before that I was working in a butcher's shop. It was that, that made me go vegetarian - I saw so many tumors in meat: cut it out, bind it with string and the customers will never know - lovely looking joint. I was glad I left! There is a lot that goes on behind the scenes that would appal many a customer and inspector should they see it. I know, I've worked in some big stores in my time and seen what goes on.

Ha ha ha. I've just realised I'm rambling away here. Lost in a cloud of memories. ...... But still glad I became a vegetarian.

JOHNTY