Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Christianity

Old 19-06-2018, 08:03 PM
Master
Shaming in the name of Christianity

I have noticed a trend in Christian religions whereas people are shamed if church rules aren’t followed or non-members don’t commit. To be a Christian is to leave judgment to a higher source, call it/her/him God, Jesus, Saints, what have you. So why are people condemned for the error of their ways as being human (sins).

I know of people who have been excommunicated from Christian Churches for disobeying God’s rules, but in the eyes of the all-judging church. How Christian is it to throw people out of a congregation and act as judge and jury over their lives? How must a person feel about him or herself after having former Christian church members or friends reject them like a dysfunctional, abusive parent.

I know of one case whereas a man went home and shot himself dead on the front lawn after being excommunicated. I can’t help but blame the church for this man not having the self-worth to forgive himself and go on with his life.

My father-in-law recently passed away and I attended a Christian funeral. I was shocked when it came time to go to communion and go up and lay my hand on the casket. The priest made an announcement that if one has sinned and not gone to confession and/or if a person hasn’t been to church weekly and gone to communion that they are not to receive the host. I was really turned off by the audacity of this. I hadn’t even been in a Christian church in years and being told to cross my arms across my chest so that the priest would know not to give me the host, was a bit more than I could bare so I chose to remain in my seat during communion.

This is what I’m talking about. Would like to hear other people’s view on this topic of shaming.
Old 19-06-2018, 10:48 PM
Master
Wrong church.

"There is no place in this new kind of physics for both the field and matter, for the field is the only reality." - A. Einstein
Old 19-06-2018, 11:16 PM
Master

Most people are too preoccupied with, and too vociferous about, what others do / did wrong. That isn't only counterproductive, but creates more problems that it solves.

Also: ""Let any one of you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone"
Old 20-06-2018, 01:25 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheus
Wrong church.

- yeah, but there are just so many wrong churches.
Old 20-06-2018, 01:28 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by inavalan
Most people are too preoccupied with, and too vociferous about, what others do / did wrong. That isn't only counterproductive, but creates more problems that it solves.

Also: ""Let any one of you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone"

Reminds me of when people were publicly shamed by being stoned to death! History just keeps repeating itself.
Old 20-06-2018, 03:07 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackraven

My father-in-law recently passed away and I attended a Christian funeral. I was shocked when it came time to go to communion and go up and lay my hand on the casket. The priest made an announcement that if one has sinned and not gone to confession and/or if a person hasn’t been to church weekly and gone to communion that they are not to receive the host. I was really turned off by the audacity of this. I hadn’t even been in a Christian church in years and being told to cross my arms across my chest so that the priest would know not to give me the host, was a bit more than I could bare so I chose to remain in my seat during communion.

This is what I’m talking about. Would like to hear other people’s view on this topic of shaming.

blackraven,

"When in Rome, do as the Romans do"...........You haven't been in church in years and you expect the church to abide with your guidelines? It is very simple.......some churches practice closed communion, others practice open communion. One attends a funeral to pay their respects...not to render judgement on the nature of the service. It is regretful that you viewed this as some arbritrary, out of the ordinary, attempt to shame people. BTW, I attend a church that practices open communion and agree with that totally. Our view is that it is Christ that invites us to communion, not the church as an organization.
Old 20-06-2018, 04:06 PM
Master
It is not unique to Christianity. Shaming occurs all over the world between all sorts of people. In the East they shame your family if they feel you have done wrong. Shame is a particular human trait. Remember Christ apparently came to save us from our shame.

The Humility, the Pride and the Humiliation.
Old 21-06-2018, 09:05 PM
kjw47

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackraven
I have noticed a trend in Christian religions whereas people are shamed if church rules aren’t followed or non-members don’t commit. To be a Christian is to leave judgment to a higher source, call it/her/him God, Jesus, Saints, what have you. So why are people condemned for the error of their ways as being human (sins).

I know of people who have been excommunicated from Christian Churches for disobeying God’s rules, but in the eyes of the all-judging church. How Christian is it to throw people out of a congregation and act as judge and jury over their lives? How must a person feel about him or herself after having former Christian church members or friends reject them like a dysfunctional, abusive parent.

I know of one case whereas a man went home and shot himself dead on the front lawn after being excommunicated. I can’t help but blame the church for this man not having the self-worth to forgive himself and go on with his life.

Have you read the OT? Being stoned to death was the penalty for the unrepentent. Some apostles were stoned to death. But you have the opportunity to repent still, those stoned didnt.
Old 24-06-2018, 04:03 PM
Ascender

beginning with your personal experience concerning what the priest said no one was allowed to do. if they didn't do this or that, they were sinners. they are like those false ministers in Jesus time, arrogant and self righteous. and it's NOT SCRIPTUAL BASED! because EVERY HUMAN...is a sinner! even if MANY believe that they're not! being a "Christian" does NOT make us sinless!

EVERYONE, no matter how self righteous they believe they are, SINS! ,(John 1:9,10 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. If we say that we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us). this is why we have to ask daily for forgiveness of our sins! as for being excommunicated, IT IS SCRIPTUAL BASED. Jehovah God warned true Christians to NOT be part of those who live as the world does. and those who live wickedly, (James 4:4)

it doesn't just mean in an evil sense, it concerns those who's actions goes against Jehovah God and Jesus. especially those who call themselves a Christian, such as those who fornicates, committed adultery, etc. ,(1Cor. 6:9,10 Do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived. Neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor homosexuals, nor sodomites, nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners will inherit the kingdom of God).

we are warned by him NOT to even be around those. it doesn't mean as in places of business. Jehovah knows we will have to work, shop ,etc., within those of the world. but we can't hang with them ,(Pro. 4:14,15 Enter not into the path of the wicked, and go not in the way of evil men. Avoid it, pass not by it, turn from it, and pass away). Jesus and his was around the world, but they were NOT friends of them ,(John 17:16 They are not of the world, even as I am not of the world).

the scriptures and explanations here bring up this scripture ,(1Cor. 5:11-13 But now I have written to you not to keep company with anyone named a brother, who is sexually immoral, or covetous, or an idolater, or a reviler, or a drunkard, or an extortioner not even to eat with such a person. For what have I to do with judging those also who are outside? Do you not judge those who are inside? But those who are outside God judges. Therefore “put away from yourselves the evil person).

see also (Levi. 18:29) and (2Thess. 3:6 But we command you, brethren, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that you withdraw from every brother who walks disorderly and not according to the tradition which he received from us). if a Spiritual sibling refuses to stop CERTAIN sinful acts, they have to be "excommunicated". we can't even hang with them as we once did. Jehovah God won't have those acting that way into his place ,(Numbers 19:20 ‘But the man who is unclean and does not purify himself, that person shall be cut off from among the assembly, because he has defiled the sanctuary of the Lord. The water of purification has not been sprinkled on him; he is unclean).

once they repent and remove certain acts, then can we accept them back ,(2Cor. 2:5-11 I am not overstating it when I say that the man who caused all the trouble hurt all of you more than he hurt me. Most of you opposed him, and that was punishment enough. Now, however, it is time to forgive and comfort him. Otherwise he may be overcome by discouragement. So I urge you now to reaffirm your love for him). we can't blame a Christian congregation from following Jehovah God's laws.

if we are living fowl and REFUSE to change, then we brought that punishment onto ourselves! we as "Christians", should know when we're living fowl, God sees ALL. he didn't allow the Israelites to get away without punishment. and he won't allow all those who claim to be his and Jesus. "error" means a mistake, acts like adultery, fornication ,etc., aren't mistakes, it's willfully doing abominating acts. and it won't be tolerate in God's house. peace
Old 24-06-2018, 06:45 PM
Master

There has always been good priests and pastors and bad ones. To judge the whole shebang based on one or two bad experiences is sad.

Organized religions serve as a springboard until we outgrown them and venture out on our own spiritual journey.