Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Complementary Therapies & Traditional Medicine > Hypnosis

Old 10-09-2015, 01:22 PM
Experiencer

Assistance

For those that have experienced both self hypnosis and have had hypnotherapy sessions done.............Did you find the self hypnosis sessions just as effective as having a therapist present?

For example, say you made the decision to quit smoking, using hypnosis. You have the choice of either doing it through self hypnosis, on your own, or, let's say you have a close friend or coworker whom you trust, and knows how to perform hypnosis, has some experience in it.

Which would be more effective?
Old 08-10-2015, 05:36 PM
Newbie ;)

I think it very much depends on what you're trying to achieve. Visiting a trained professional hypnotherapist is like visiting any other healthcare provider. You go to them because of their expertise. If you're simply experimenting, then self-hypnosis might well be enough. If you actually need to resolve a problem in your life, then it's probably going to be better to seek out a therapist.

I would think of it in terms of risk. If there is a risk to your wellbeing (uncovering traumatic memories for example), go to a professional who has been trained to help you through those things safely. If not, try self-hypnosis first. :)
Old 09-10-2015, 11:51 PM
Experiencer

I have experienced both and have to sayI prefer to have a hypnotherapist session.. Self hypnosis has its vale as a tool for example Sleep learning techniques .. But you can go deeper if its therapist led.. so more effective IMO.
Old 16-10-2015, 02:10 PM
Experiencer

I have read information where going deeper seems to have more effect, but, then, that may depend on what a subject is trying to accomplish.

Personally, I do like using self hypnosis audios where the hypnotist guides the subject. An issue I have with this, most of the ones I've used, the hypnotist doesn't leave you in the relaxed, or even deeper state, very long, at least not long enough to give the subconscious a belief.

The audio will bring you back out after just a few seconds. I've already edited the audio, stopping it when it has you reach the state you want to be in, after the suggestion is made by the hypnotist to imagine that belief you want. Problem with this, you are left to just fall asleep, or, have to consciously think about coming back out of the trance.