Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Astral Projection

Old 26-10-2011, 06:52 PM
Scibat

A Little Dose of Reality

I have seen many uninformed people who think or claim that they are having an OBE or Astral Projecting themselves and describe one of the following:

Awakening to a sense of weight upon the body and/or an inability to move their limbs to escape this pressure, and/or otherwise unable to move accept perhaps their eyes. People who experience this phenomena almost unanimously describe a feeling of panic and fear at their experience which can last long after the paralysis of their bodies has faded and they can move again.

This phenomena is called: Sleep Paralysis

Sleep paralysis consists of a period of inability to perform voluntary movements either at sleep onset (called hypnogogic or predormital form) or upon awakening (called hypnopompic or postdormtal form).

Sleep paralysis may also be referred to as isolated sleep paralysis, familial sleep paralysis, hynogogic or hypnopompic paralysis, predormital or postdormital paralysis

What are the symptoms?
  • A complaint of inability to move the trunk or limbs at sleep onset or upon awakening
  • Presence of brief episodes of partial or complete skeletal muscle paralysis
  • Episodes can be associated with hypnagogic hallucinations or dream-like mentation (act or use of the brain)
A person is asleep but sees, hears or feels things and experiences them as real even though he or she is asleep. These dreams, which are actually waking dreams are quite frightening and vivid frequently being mistaken for things like ghosts, spirits or shadow entities.

This phenomena is called: Hynagogic Hallucinations

Hypnagogic or hypnopompic hallucinations are visual, tactile, auditory, or other sensory events, usually brief but occasionally prolonged, that occur at the transition from wakefulness to sleep (hypnagogic) or from sleep to wakefulness (hypnopompic). The phenomenon is thought to have been first described by the Dutch physician Isbrand Van Diemerbroeck in 1664.1 The person may hear sounds that are not there and see visual hallucinations. These visual and auditory images are very vivid and may be bizarre or disturbing.

---
The two phenomena can be related, people who suffer from one can suffer from the other as well. Together they can lead someone who wanted to AP or have an OBE into believing (incorrectly) that they have done so and that the phenomena are in fact aspects of their journey.

Ultimately if someone suffers from these over a long period of time, it may be indicative of a sleep disorder such as narcolepsy.
Old 26-10-2011, 07:23 PM
nightowl

Hey Scibat,

I like the idea that you shared this point of view. It is important to pay attention to what is going on physically...if we don't take the biological possibilities into account in the discovery of the spiritual we can at times be deceived.

I have personally experienced sleep paralysis and always thought it was a spiritual event. I felt as though I was being attacked and held down. I never knew about sleep paralysis and once I read what others experienced during this phase I finally had a better understanding of what happened to me.

This does not discount other spiritual experiences I have had but if one experiences physical sensations it is wise to take into account what could cause those in the natural or physical before assigning it to the spiritual.

Wise suggestion...Scibat
Old 26-10-2011, 07:52 PM
Scibat

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightowl
Hey Scibat,

I like the idea that you shared this point of view. It is important to pay attention to what is going on physically...if we don't take the biological possibilities into account in the discovery of the spiritual we can at times be deceived.

I have personally experienced sleep paralysis and always thought it was a spiritual event. I felt as though I was being attacked and held down. I never knew about sleep paralysis and once I read what others experienced during this phase I finally had a better understanding of what happened to me.

This does not discount other spiritual experiences I have had but if one experiences physical sensations it is wise to take into account what could cause those in the natural or physical before assigning it to the spiritual.

Wise suggestion...Scibat

I have suffered (And still suffer) from both and have been diagnosed with a sleep disorder. So I know how real these experiences can seem and how frightening they can be, no matter who you are.
Old 26-10-2011, 07:55 PM
Master
When I practiced the Shamanic art of journeying (a trance like condition brought on by the sound of drums or other means where you journey to other places while not being asleep and not being awake)
My journeys were always validated by external events and signs that left no doubt that these journeys were more than just something the physical mind created.
These validations were always there and always very clear. Actually I insisted on them........lol
So here's another side, a mysterious one, to this subject.
Blessings, James
Old 26-10-2011, 07:56 PM
nightowl

Scibat

I can see why you would be concern for others if you have had these experiences. Genuine AP experiences do happen, but it is good to hear other views as to help with a broader understanding.

WhiteShaman,

Nice example, I too experiences such things with journeying...thanks for sharing.
Old 26-10-2011, 10:31 PM
Just One

This is like arguing the ocean floor doesn't exist by describing the patterns of the surface currents. Your argument is based on physical observation of phenomena that is widely considered metaphysical in nature... nothing scientific contradicts the ideas you're trying to discredit.
Old 27-10-2011, 08:37 AM
Deactivated Account
Sleep paralysis can be very frightening and it's good to be aware that is what is happening in some cases. But it's also important to consider that the there's no direct line between the physcial and the astral. I experience hypogognic hallucinations on a daily basis while resting, awake or asleep, and have done ever since I started meditating and had all sorts of other strange experiences happen at the same time. Some would label my experiences as purely medical/biological, but as someone who developed them overnight, I know they are not. It doesn't change the fact I am having these visions, but the meaning can't be pinned down to science. The same is true for SP - there may well be a physcial explanation for what is experienced, but it doesn't mean there isn't something else going on. So it can be good to bear in mind reality can be more complicated than it appears sometimes :)
Old 27-10-2011, 09:24 AM
mattie

APed Countless Times, Never Experienced Sleep Paralysis

This thread has the tone & language of a debunker article. ‘Uninformed people ... claim.’ I’m not sure how one makes this assessment about others’ experiences.

I actively APed countless times in my 20s & 30s until I got bored w/ it & I’ve never experienced sleep paralysis. My only fear was first about reconnecting, but this passed very quickly when I realized this was automatic, then about power lines being an issue (ROFL as this isn’t a valid concern.) coming back in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scibat
I have suffered (And still suffer) from both and have been diagnosed with a sleep disorder. So I know how real these experiences can seem and how frightening they can be, no matter who you are.

This situation can apply to you, & may apply to some AP experiences, but that doesn’t mean it applies to all other APing experiences.

It is useful to be aware that it can exist though in case one encounters it.
Old 27-10-2011, 11:50 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just One
This is like arguing the ocean floor doesn't exist by describing the patterns of the surface currents. Your argument is based on physical observation of phenomena that is widely considered metaphysical in nature... nothing scientific contradicts the ideas you're trying to discredit.

Thanks Night and congrats to you on you new role here. Another great choice!
James
Old 27-10-2011, 07:19 PM
nightowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteShaman
Thanks Night and congrats to you on you new role here. Another great choice!
James

Thanks WS

In all things there are variables that are unseen and are different for everyone;

Quote:
This situation can apply to you, & may apply to some AP experiences, but that doesn’t mean it applies to all other APing experiences.

It is useful to be aware that it can exist though in case one encounters it.

Yes, mattie I agree, each case may be different...