Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Spiritual Development

Closed Thread

Old 02-10-2012, 04:52 AM
Mathew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz
No. Personally I find it refreshing when someone has enough honestly to not want to help people or to save the world, if that is not their agenda. Some folk will do more to help mankind by simply knuckling down and living their life as true as they can.
I mean, I can barely tolerate people let alone want to help them. And really what help could I hope to offer being so self absorbed and into my own trip. It is just not my thing at the moment, however if you are drawn to it and not just trying to live up to some lofty spiritual concept then go for it!!!

Are you sure we weren't born on the same planet, I would rather have a flock of birds or a group of gorillas around me????
Old 02-10-2012, 04:56 AM
Mathew

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychoslice
Yes just be your self, if others like what you share and can use what you share, then so be it, if they don't, well that's ok also. I think this is how most so called guru's are, they get called teachers or whatever by those who are after something from them, but the so called Guru's will always point you back to your SELF.

I knew you thought like this.....what you see is what you get nothing more, pure trueness, no frills there just you….I’m very much the same or trying to be!!
Old 02-10-2012, 04:59 AM
Mathew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seawolf
Sure I know how you feel, I judge all the time and know I do it but do it anyway. I think the thing to focus on is accepting everything. So everything includes the judging, which means being aware of it and think of that feeling as being loved instead of hated. From that perspective I can think more clearly about myself.

Good point...look at it as a positive instead of a negative just like with the ego which everyone has, if you are positive about it it will be so!!
Old 02-10-2012, 05:01 AM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathew
Good point...look at it as a positive instead of a negative just like with the ego which everyone has, if you are positive about it it will be so!!
Exactly! It's not so bad after all.
Old 02-10-2012, 05:06 AM
Mathew

Quote:
Originally Posted by wstein
Wanting to be yourself is the pretty much the motivation of the spiritual path. For most beginners a spiritual teachers helps speed that along greatly. At some point, you go as far with them as they can lead you. At that point its time to find another teacher or time to find another way to continue your growth. Ultimately you will have to take ownership of your spiritual journey and direct its progress yourself. In those later stages, you can still learn things from others but they are not your 'teacher' per se.

If it helps, think of parenting. At first the child absolutely needs parents to take care of them and guide them. After a while they turn to other sources of learning in addition to their parents. At some point however, they need to grow up and become their own person. The parents can still aid them but they must make the hard choices. Their parents are still their parents but the children act as independent adults.

Great wisdom Wstein......I suppose you would have to be yourself to start on a spiritual path otherwise it's going to be a hard long hoe!!..thank you.
Old 02-10-2012, 05:10 AM
Mathew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saggi
When you are yourself, you may find you are also all to others,,,

Love and hugs

Jo

XxXx

Yes I suppose, if your not yourself what are you? Your not even someone else who your trying to be so you can't be all to others!!...Good point

Love
Mathew
Old 02-10-2012, 05:18 AM
Mathew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rin
Is it even possible NOT to be yourself?

Whatever I do I am myself. I may wish to think and act differently, and in realizing this I am myself.

What is this idea that we are not ourselves? If we aren't then what are we? And how would being yourself be an improvement over what you are at the moment?

This is interesting of what you have just brought up, what about multiple split personalities, which one is the real you...will the real one please stand up so they all do!!.....so it just is at the time it is....you are who you are where you are, meaning if I was a soldier in battle I would be a different person than in civilian life....makes a lot of sense Rin.
Old 02-10-2012, 09:07 AM
amy green

You seem to split this issue into either being a spiritual hero or being yourself with "warts and all". Maybe there's also the middle ground. What I am alluding to here is that I feel being authentic (sincere, true to yourself) is important. This can incorporate - if you so choose - looking at any faults which may become so uncomfortable as to cause sufficient misery to want to look at them and maybe come to a better understanding/perspective.
Old 02-10-2012, 11:06 AM
Mathew

Quote:
Originally Posted by amy green
You seem to split this issue into either being a spiritual hero or being yourself with "warts and all". Maybe there's also the middle ground. What I am alluding to here is that I feel being authentic (sincere, true to yourself) is important. This can incorporate - if you so choose - looking at any faults which may become so uncomfortable as to cause sufficient misery to want to look at them and maybe come to a better understanding/perspective.

I like my warts & all, if I had a choice in being perfect or not I would pick not. I like my faults because they allow me to see most people for who they are not what they are trying to make out.

Misery doesn't enter into the equation anymore as it only denotes discontent which I’m not, this is probably why learning in this way for me through misery doesn’t work, I’m content.

Love
Mathew
Old 02-10-2012, 11:22 AM
amy green

Color

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathew
I like my warts & all, if I had a choice in being perfect or not I would pick not. I like my faults because they allow me to see most people for who they are not what they are trying to make out.

Misery doesn't enter into the equation anymore as it only denotes discontent which I’m not, this is probably why learning in this way for me through misery doesn’t work, I’m content.
Love
Mathew
I'm glad to read that you are content.

I've noticed that value judgements are frowned upon in spiritual circles. I find that to inhibit this can often either blind us to the nuts and bolts of a situation or serve to cloud an issue....like diluting honesty. There is scope for honesty and tactfulness surely? I will own that I am fairly judgemental (even when I get an overview of all the perceived angles and considerations) - comes with the territory if you have strong opinions! I don't see how opinions are not formed if you have a thinking brain and I feel sure we all make value judgements in our daily lives. However, that said, I've learnt to both tread more carefully on this matter and also to call it discernment (my loophole - feel free to share it too if it helps! )
Closed Thread