Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Complementary Therapies & Traditional Medicine > Reiki

Old 05-03-2017, 05:06 PM
Guide

Reiki and bad habits

Hi all,

I just had reiki level one attunement 3 weeks ago and have been treating myself every single day since. My teacher even commented on how strong and vibrant my energy is. I'm excited and passionate to keep pursuing, as I have a deep desire to help others. I'll also add that I have always been a health nut and into eating the right foods, taking herbal supplements, etc.

However...the not so great side of me...

I have smoked cigarettes for the past 20 years since trying to be "cool" in high school and never gave it up. Also in the past 3 years have steadily enjoyed a couple glasses of wine every night with dinner simply because I enjoy it with a good meal. I will say regarding the drinking, I have never once been drunk out of fear of losing control, and have never ever used drugs. I'm also an empath and have been trying to ground myself better and not absorb other's energies and I've been improving.

Now to my point...

I was told I will be giving up bad habits by my teacher upon attunement when I confessed them to her. Interestingly, before my attunement months prior, she also got a message from beyond saying "tell her to quit" (she wasn't even aware I smoke or drink). Will I eventually lose taste for these bad habits? I know there's so much more involved, like will power, but are these habits seriously detrimental to my ability to use reiki on myself and others? By the way I would never attempt to channel reiki even after sniffing a glass of wine, out of respect.

Thoughts???
Old 09-03-2017, 04:09 AM
Master

I don't think your reiki teacher can say that at all. Its up to you. If you have a high level of consciousness and you do a lot of inner work maybe you would decide to give it up at some point. I have gone way beyond reiki 3 master level and still drink to a certain degree.
Old 10-03-2017, 04:48 PM
Guide

Thanks, Vespa that makes me feel better. As long as I am responsible, which I am, I shouldn't be so hard on myself striving for absolute perfection.

I should clarify, my teacher more or less said that I probably will be turned off by my habits, not that I HAVE to give them up in order to be better. In this conversation she also said some people are even turned off by red meat after attunement, or coffee.
Old 05-05-2017, 05:32 AM
Pathfinder
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky
Hi all,

I just had reiki level one attunement 3 weeks ago and have been treating myself every single day since. My teacher even commented on how strong and vibrant my energy is. I'm excited and passionate to keep pursuing, as I have a deep desire to help others. I'll also add that I have always been a health nut and into eating the right foods, taking herbal supplements, etc.

I have smoked cigarettes for the past 20 years since trying to be "cool" in high school and never gave it up. Also in the past 3 years have steadily enjoyed a couple glasses of wine every night with dinner simply because I enjoy it with a good meal. I will say regarding the drinking, I have never once been drunk out of fear of losing control, and have never ever used drugs. I'm also an empath and have been trying to ground myself better and not absorb other's energies and I've been improving.

Now to my point...

I was told I will be giving up bad habits by my teacher upon attunement when I confessed them to her. Interestingly, before my attunement months prior, she also got a message from beyond saying "tell her to quit" (she wasn't even aware I smoke or drink). Will I eventually lose taste for these bad habits? I know there's so much more involved, like will power, but are these habits seriously detrimental to my ability to use reiki on myself and others? By the way I would never attempt to channel reiki even after sniffing a glass of wine, out of respect.

Thoughts???
I have been given energy healings and was told to give up sugar and caffeine by my practitioner...which I did because I wanted to feel the best I could. I am able to send healing energy and am now interested in Reiki and plan on pursuing that modality in depth since it seems it comes easily to me. I find it extremely interesting and always felt better after each session when getting the healing.

I have noticed there are times I feel like eating something "light" like some fresh fruit rather then a meal. Or I will skip a meal. I am a big fan of drinking water. Without it I will literally wilt. Do I want to become vegetarian? No...even though I was vegetarian for seven years. I am also back on sugar and caffeine (what a rebel :)

If it turns out I feel the need personally to change then it would be a natural progression in my own growth...not a strict change I am not comfortable with. We are all individuals and I feel that even though some "healthy things" are recommended and stated "this will happen" (as in Reiki)....If it is a change you want to make then it won't be a hard decision and you will be ready to easily give whatever up without a struggle. I gave sugar and caffeine up within a week.

I am serious in learning energy healing and getting attuned to Reiki. Like I mentioned I can do healings now. Pssst...guess what? Put a container of chocolate chip cookies in front of me and I will savor each morsel mmmm!!
It has not affected my ability in any way. Follow your heart.....
Old 05-05-2017, 08:39 PM
Guide

Thanks for sharing your view on this. I guess everybody has their thing. Funny, I don't have a need or tolerance for caffeine or sugar! Thanks for making me not feel so badly!
Old 12-05-2017, 06:22 AM
Pathfinder

I do reiki and I still enjoy going out with friends or letting loose from time to time with a drink. I won't do it if I know I'll be doing reiki on someone, but I still find enjoyment in human experiences like that. But I don't get to the point that I can't control myself. Life is meant to be lived. You will know when you need a break from the wine though. You may "feel that you just need a detox or silent period for yourself. As far as smoking, I know that that can be hard to do. I know long-time smokers who quit. It was hard and they definitely had detox symptoms or withdraws, but after they got over the big hill, the other hills were a lot easier to climb. Try doing reiki on yourself everyday...even over your heart where your lungs are! It could help :).

Even though reiki teachers (or most at least) have plenty of experience, you know yourself more than anyone. Be kind to yourself and it's ok to take a step back as long as you take more steps forward :). Just being open and doing reiki alone is such a great step forward! Not many people are that open or even want to help people like you do! And make sure that with everyone you help that you replenish yourself and do self-love for you.

Also, maybe treating yourself to "self-love" days like getting massages, energy healing, manicures, or even seeing a movie will help you kick smoking to the curb.
Old 12-05-2017, 11:52 PM
Guide

Starry Night, thank you for making me not feel so bad. Everything in moderation. Like I said I never get carried away and am very concious of it.

The biggest part I'm working on these days is self love! It's different but it feels good. Work in progress!
Old 23-05-2017, 12:46 PM
Seeker
Quote:
Hi all,

Now to my point...

Thoughts???
i m at gm level or reiki and what i can sense you teacher just get a msg to give you .divine never pressurize to anyone to give up anything . i know some powerful healer who is non vegetarian and drink too but his healing power is great. meat n drink nn cigarette something which deteriorate health and reiki is somthing which heal so both are opposite to each other ...thats why you get this message .as your energy ascend your inner self decide what you should do n what you should not do.. till then enjoy whatever you enjoy as alcohol do its work reiki will also do its own work .
Old 11-06-2017, 03:27 AM
Pathfinder
Quote:
Hi all,

Now to my point...

Thoughts???

When your reiki teacher mentioned you may give up bad habits, she is in a way correct. Maybe she didn't explain so you could understand what she meant. But for 21 days you go through a detoxing of the body as the new energy begins to flow through, similar to a purification process. Your energy levels increase and you may find your hands start tingling or an electric static feeling go through them, your body may heat up quite often for no apparent reason, causing you to become off balanced or dizzy.
The change in dietary might change, as the taste buds start to clear and some food can taste horrible or over powering to the mouth and stomach.
Even alcohol and cigarettes may become more potent at any time, or none of these things may happen. It is different for everyone.
youll also find skin irritations and bowel movement all changes as well.

This is only while going through the new energy shift within the body.

Over time as we gain more knowledge and become more aware of ourselves we do alter and change, the way we speak, act, eat. So even though she has said, you will give up bad habits instantly, it is a spiritual process that you go through and habits may change and alter as you go along.

When we do Reiki, we are channelling energy, channelling guidance so there is a lot of all kinds of energy the body needs to be able to handle (depending on the level of awareness)
When we channel, we are opening ourselves up for spirits to flow their healing energy through us and if we are not at our best at that moment, we can do harm to someone else.
So with alcohol, it does not mean you must give up drinking, it only means, not to have alcohol in the system when performing any healing energy within yourself or to others. Because, you could accidentally flow that alcoholic energy to the other person, an it wouldn't be good if they are a recovering alcoholic. That energy would instantly start the cravings up.
Same with cigarettes, but not as harshly as alcohol, cigarettes leave a lingering smell/odour on our breath and fingers and we use our hands to touch other people, so we must always wash our hands before hand, and have a minty or something to help freshen the breath.

I have been doing Reiki for 13yrs and yes I eventually did get the urge to stop drinking, but I still smoke cigarettes, just not as many as I used to. A lot of people I have met all done the same, eventually gave up drinking but that was years later, as we all progressed further into our personal growth.

Don't let this stop you from reaching your goals on helping others or even deter you. They may be things that will make sense to you later on, even the part where your teacher mentioned for you to quit. That part might have been channelled info that may not have meant for that moment, but at some time in your life.
Old 13-06-2017, 11:45 PM
Experiencer
I think your teacher was just supposed to pass on the message to you, but like others have said it is up to you what happens. Just because you got an attunement, you are not going to automatically stop your bad habits. If it's time for you to do so according to your higher self, then you might slowly lose your appetite for it. It could also happen months or years later after an attunement. That did happen to me. I wouldn't call it a habit or addiction, but I did like to bake pastries and eat them (most of my family doesn't eat pastries so I had to). My first reiki class was in 2014. Around 2016 is when I had the realization that I was consuming too much sugar through my baked goods and I pretty much haven't baked except for one or two occasions during the year.

On the other hand, starting on the reiki path could change your life in other ways, too, so keep an eye out for that.