Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Love & Relationships -Friends and Family

Old 22-07-2013, 12:04 AM
Pathfinder

Beautifully put Lynn, and well done. I too do not believe the government or any other outside entity should tell me who my mate is or for how long. However, for monetary and legal purposes, I would probably advocate marriage if you truly believe you will never have another mate.
Old 22-07-2013, 12:20 AM
primrose

Here in Canada, commonlaw relationships have the same legal rights as married couples. I still feel that if you're going to stay together why not get married, I''ve said before that I would'nt and did'nt feel any commitment just living with my then boyfriend. Why act like you're married if you are'nt? This is just my view.
Old 22-07-2013, 12:24 AM
Mr.Whitmore

marriage is just a piece of paper so the government knows how much to increase your taxes............
Old 22-07-2013, 04:54 AM
primrose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Whitmore
marriage is just a piece of paper so the government knows how much to increase your taxes............

Well in that case, stay single.
Old 23-07-2013, 01:04 AM
Niebla0007

Cool

Or just go and have the ceremony and celebration without involving legal papers
Old 23-07-2013, 01:18 AM
Tara_Joy

My personal opinion...maybe we aren't stepping away from marriage but maybe the definition is changing to a different relationship status that is still breakable but with true monetary consequences. I kind of like the freedom of that.
Old 23-07-2013, 01:47 AM
Nada

Marriage is more than just a piece of paper.

It is very cynical to view the marriage as nothing more than a piece of paper.

The legal paper part of the marriage is new in our "marriage" history.

Historically, in every culture for more than thousands years, people used to get married with a ceremony - whether religious or cultural.
There was not a "legal paper" aspect to it.

Even today, marriages in many native cultures do not involve a legal process.

However, in our modern society, the legal paper is absolutely necessary for social benefits, recognizable legal partnership, for legal custody of children, and etc, etc.

Without this legal recognition, a marriage is not fully functioning since each can not fully exercise their rights as a married partner. - Think about possible situations when one becomes ill or injured.

Also people do not think of the "paper" when they marry.
People think of Love, Family, and Commitment first before they go through the "paper" process.
Old 23-07-2013, 02:25 AM
Mr.Whitmore

I'd rather have all that without the legalities....or paper
Old 23-07-2013, 02:40 AM
Ascender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nada
Also people do not think of the "paper" when they marry.
People think of Love, Family, and Commitment first before they go through the "paper" process.

Not me. I got married when I was 22 and my top thoughts for needing to get married were guilt thoughts for having pre-marital sex with too many partners and needing to settle down with the one I'm currently with (thanks to Catholicism brainwashing me); also thoughts for being accepted by family for being "allowed" to live together since we were engaged (thanks again to Catholicism brainwashing me).

Now, if I were to go again for marriage the second time, yes, I think of love, family and commitment and would gladly have a ceremony for that, but actually the number one thought that comes to my mind is the legal paper aspect of it because of several money and legal issues (as I previously mentioned in this thread). If we were billionaires, we would be married because the money would solve any money issue (obviously) and would solve any legal issue too. Its the way that society is set up now with the money and legal system that makes marriage so much of a paper issue nowadays (at least for me). As I said before, if we lived in a resource based economy where money and legal issues did not exist, I would already be married at the moment.
Old 23-07-2013, 03:00 AM
Nada

Marriage is taking a risk in LOVE with your Beloved.
If you are not ready to take that chance, you have not met the right person.

Furthermore..
Even the marriage does not work out, you would not regret taking that chance in LOVE if you two were truly in love.