Spiritual Forums

Home


Donate!


Articles


CHAT!


Shop


 
Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Christianity

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 15-01-2020, 08:07 PM
BigJohn BigJohn is offline
Master
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: अनुगृहितोऽस्म
Posts: 3,338
  BigJohn's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by sky123
Elohim IS a name for God used in the Hebrew Bible.
In the beginning [Elohim] created the heavens and the earth (Genesis 1:1). The name Elohim occurs over 2,500 times in the Tanakh.
As jojo50 stated, Elohim gets translated normally as God. You agree, the word God is not a name. If you read the word in Hebrew, especially the scripture you cited, the word is not used as a name.

In Hebrew the word is אֱלֹהִ֑ים
The transliteration of אֱלֹהִ֑ים is Elohim.
אֱלֹהִ֑ים normally gets translated as God, but not always. In the scripture cited, it gets translated as God.
__________________
..
.

He dipped the pen into the ink and then faltered for just a second. A tremor had gone through his bowels. To mark the paper was the decisive act. In small clumsy letters he wrote: ........... April 4th, 1984.
..................
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 15-01-2020, 08:39 PM
sky123 sky123 is offline
Master
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 8,163
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohn
As jojo50 stated, Elohim gets translated normally as God. You agree, the word God is not a name. If you read the word in Hebrew, especially the scripture you cited, the word is not used as a name.

In Hebrew the word is אֱלֹהִ֑ים
The transliteration of אֱלֹהִ֑ים is Elohim.
אֱלֹהִ֑ים normally gets translated as God, but not always. In the scripture cited, it gets translated as God.


Yes I agree Elohim is God's name...
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 15-01-2020, 09:13 PM
BigJohn BigJohn is offline
Master
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: अनुगृहितोऽस्म
Posts: 3,338
  BigJohn's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by sky123
Yes I agree Elohim is God's name...
Funny....



Is the word God a name?

Sometimes we (all people) are rendered as Elohim. Are all people named Elohim?

Sometimes Elohim is rendered as Angel. Is Elohim the name of an Angel and/or all Angels?

When Paul was speaking of the unknown God (Elohim), what was that God's name?

As you can see, Elohim is not a name.

Elohim is a transliteration of the Hebrew word אֱלֹהִ֑ים,which when translated, is generally rendered God(s)/god(s).

I have went over transliterations before. Using transliterations, the Transliteration show us how the Hebrew word אֱלֹהִ֑ים was pronounced, using our alphabet. אֱלֹהִ֑ים was pronounced something like Elohim. It is אֱלֹהִ֑ים which is normally translated as God/god.
__________________
..
.

He dipped the pen into the ink and then faltered for just a second. A tremor had gone through his bowels. To mark the paper was the decisive act. In small clumsy letters he wrote: ........... April 4th, 1984.
..................
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 15-01-2020, 09:29 PM
davidmartin davidmartin is offline
Guide
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 745
 
what about Adonai?
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 15-01-2020, 09:42 PM
sky123 sky123 is offline
Master
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 8,163
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohn
Funny....



Is the word God a name?

Sometimes we (all people) are rendered as Elohim. Are all people named Elohim?

Sometimes Elohim is rendered as Angel. Is Elohim the name of an Angel and/or all Angels?

When Paul was speaking of the unknown God (Elohim), what was that God's name?

As you can see, Elohim is not a name.

Elohim is a transliteration of the Hebrew word אֱלֹהִ֑ים,which when translated, is generally rendered God(s)/god(s).

I have went over transliterations before. Using transliterations, the Transliteration show us how the Hebrew word אֱלֹהִ֑ים was pronounced, using our alphabet. אֱלֹהִ֑ים was pronounced something like Elohim. It is אֱלֹהִ֑ים which is normally translated as God/god.



I don't think it's a funny name....
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 15-01-2020, 09:43 PM
sky123 sky123 is offline
Master
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 8,163
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmartin
what about Adonai?


That's nice also...
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 16-01-2020, 10:04 PM
BigJohn BigJohn is offline
Master
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: अनुगृहितोऽस्म
Posts: 3,338
  BigJohn's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmartin
what about Adonai?
As for Adonai (אֲדֹנָ֤י), that word is first used in Genesis 15:2. The expression is אֲדֹנָ֤י יֱהוִה֙ which gets transliterated as Adonai Yahweh which gets translated in the NIV as 'Sovereign Lord'. Replacing Yahweh with Adonai would render that scripture as 'Sovereign Sovereign' which makes absolutely no sense. As you can see, Adonai, is not a name.
__________________
..
.

He dipped the pen into the ink and then faltered for just a second. A tremor had gone through his bowels. To mark the paper was the decisive act. In small clumsy letters he wrote: ........... April 4th, 1984.
..................
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 20-01-2020, 07:33 AM
BigJohn BigJohn is offline
Master
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: अनुगृहितोऽस्म
Posts: 3,338
  BigJohn's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmartin
what about Adonai?
There are other expressions such as El.

But as far as I know, there is only one scripture that says this is God Almighty's name (Exodus 6:3).

That name in Hebrew is יְהוָ֔ה

and is pronounced (transliterated) as Y ͤ hvh
__________________
..
.

He dipped the pen into the ink and then faltered for just a second. A tremor had gone through his bowels. To mark the paper was the decisive act. In small clumsy letters he wrote: ........... April 4th, 1984.
..................
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 20-01-2020, 08:09 AM
sky123 sky123 is offline
Master
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 8,163
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohn
There are other expressions such as El.

But as far as I know, there is only one scripture that says this is God Almighty's name (Exodus 6:3).

That name in Hebrew is יְהוָ֔ה

and is pronounced (transliterated) as Y ͤ hvh



The Tao that can be named is not the Tao.


God (the great everlasting infinite First Cause from whom all things in heaven and earth proceed) can neither be defined nor named.


The Tao which can be expressed in words is not the eternal Tao; the name which can be uttered is not its eternal name. Without a name, it is the Beginning of Heaven and Earth; with a name, it is the Mother of all things. Only one who is eternally free from earthly passions can apprehend its spiritual essence; he who is ever clogged by passions can see no more than its outer form. These two things, the spiritual and the material, though we call them by different names, in their origin are one and the same. This sameness is a mystery, — the mystery of mysteries. It is the gate of all spirituality.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 20-01-2020, 08:38 AM
BigJohn BigJohn is offline
Master
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: अनुगृहितोऽस्म
Posts: 3,338
  BigJohn's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by sky123
The Tao that can be named is not the Tao.


God (the great everlasting infinite First Cause from whom all things in heaven and earth proceed) can neither be defined nor named.


The Tao which can be expressed in words is not the eternal Tao; the name which can be uttered is not its eternal name. Without a name, it is the Beginning of Heaven and Earth; with a name, it is the Mother of all things. Only one who is eternally free from earthly passions can apprehend its spiritual essence; he who is ever clogged by passions can see no more than its outer form. These two things, the spiritual and the material, though we call them by different names, in their origin are one and the same. This sameness is a mystery, the mystery of mysteries. It is the gate of all spirituality.
Quoted from

WISDOM OF THE EAST
THE SAYINGS OF LAO TZŬ
TRANSLATED
FROM THE CHINESE, WITH AN INTRODUCTION
BY LIONEL GILES, M.A. (OXON.)
ASSISTANT AT THE BRITISH MUSEUM
E. P. DUTTON AND COMPANY, INC.
NEW YORK
[1905]

Page 19 under the heading:

TAO IN ITS TRANSCENDENTAL ASPECT, AND IN ITS PHYSICAL MANIFESTATION
__________________
..
.

He dipped the pen into the ink and then faltered for just a second. A tremor had gone through his bowels. To mark the paper was the decisive act. In small clumsy letters he wrote: ........... April 4th, 1984.
..................
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 07:38 PM.


Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
(c) Spiritual Forums