Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Spiritual Development

Old 31-10-2014, 06:26 AM
yumi14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megamedes
His eyes are open. Help him find peace in what he sees, not what you believe. There can be as much (or little) freedom in not believing in god as there can be in believing. Try to find the freedom in the world he sees, and show him the beauty of the path he is already on. God and Spirituality is not for everyone; in the end they are nothing more than made up concepts that tries to define certain experiences. Whether they are real or not, seems to be a matter of perception rather than truth Hope some of it helps...

I'm not sure how to help him find peace with his beliefs. His beliefs seem to further cause him pain and causes him to entertain suicidal thoughts more often than not.

I'm not sure how to give him hope. I want to. I want him to finally embrace life.
Old 31-10-2014, 06:52 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by yumi14
Yes, I am very concerned with his suicidal thoughts. He seems to bring it up most conversations :(

I think a good listener does wonders, but it's passive hearing with understanding and it's not trying to influence or change things... and people generally appreciate being accepted as they are, but also, in the end you have no obligations, and if and when it feels like you do, best to review your own boundaries.
Old 31-10-2014, 07:25 AM
Megamedes

Quote:
I'm not sure how to help him find peace with his beliefs. His beliefs seem to further cause him pain and causes him to entertain suicidal thoughts more often than not.

It is quite possible to live a deep and profound life without God or Spirituality. And the hard truth is that if you cannot see the beauty of his path, then how can you show it to him? So maybe this is also a journey for you to see things from a different perspective. It could be that ancient philosophers like Aristotle will serve him better than God ever will. Just a thought...
Old 31-10-2014, 07:54 AM
Ivy

It sounds more like he is in a state of depression, where nothing seems to matter, not god, not life, not anything.

I would pass on some numbers of helplines for if he reaches the stage of genuinely considering suicide.

If I'm right, then therapy might be a first step. It sounds as though reading about what others believe about god is being used to reinforce his isolated feelings and negative views about the world.
Old 31-10-2014, 01:40 PM
Guide
The more spiritual I get, the more I realize that I can't change people. God is inside us and we all experience God differently. You are your own universe and everyone has a different parallel universe. Trying to push your universe into someone else's, will only be frustrating and drain your own spirit. When talking with someone, the best thing to do is put the idea of God out there and see how they react. If they shrug the idea off, then there is no reason to continue pushing. The only thing that can get a non believer to be a believer is a wild experience that opens there eye.
I turned to look but it was gone
I cannot put my finger on it now
The child is grown
The dream is gone
I have become comfortably numb.". - Pink Floyd

You'll find me here, in the back seat, just taking it all in
Old 31-10-2014, 02:39 PM
VisionQuest

Quote:
I have a friend who I met online. We've never met in person, but talk on the phone from time to time. We really connect and get each other on many levels and there is a comfort between us that makes talking about life rather easy.

The only thing that I can't seem to do is to break thru to him about God and spirituality.

The kicker is he has invested a good part of his life exploring various religions and whatnot, but he maintains that he is an atheist despite all of the research.

He is very intelligent and genuinely wants to find God, but he has these road blocks up.

He is so disillusioned with life and feels it is futile. This scares me.

How does one break thru to an atheist who believes we are just randomly born animals stuck on a prison planet and then we die and there is nothing beyond it?

I have suggested topics for him to explore, YouTube videos to watch, but he doesn't seem interested despite his deep yearning to find God.

Does anyone know how I can next approach him? Things to say?

I wouldn't ask this if I thought he was a lost cause, because he does put in the work to research. Although studying just religion itself won't get him too far in this case. I do think his knowledge of doctrines will be an asset down the line when he opens his mind to spirituality in general.

For me, it had to go beyond religious doctrine and exploring so many things outside of those texts that helped me get to the place that I am today with my own beliefs. But, what works for one person might not work for another.

He is fed up with life so badly that he contemplates suicide and I just don't want him to go down that road. He is too bright and really has so much potential in him. If he can find something he can hold onto, perhaps he can finally be free to live and enjoy his life.

Any insight is so appreciated. I want him to find hope, but I just don't know how to assist him in finding it. Perhaps ideas from everyone might help me to reach out to him on angles that I have not tried yet.

Thank you

Suggest 4 works for him:

The Nag Hammadhi Library by Glen Robinson (the earliest Christian writings PRIOR to the formation of religion!)
Self Unfoldment By Disciplines of Realization by Manly P Hall
The Mystic Path To Cosmic Power by Vernon Howard
Meditation by OSHO

Your friend is already closer than he thinks!
Old 31-10-2014, 08:06 PM
Master
Hello dear yumi14

With all due respect:
Why would you want someone to believe in god/spirituality?
Why would you want someone to believe in your own personal beliefs?

The best thing to do is giving him hugs, going out with him and give him joy, jokes, movies, food, share a tea or maybe a beer. I think it's so much better than talking about theories.

A professional aid from a psychologist would be wonderful.
Old 31-10-2014, 08:07 PM
Master
Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megamedes
It is quite possible to live a deep and profound life without God or Spirituality. And the hard truth is that if you cannot see the beauty of his path, then how can you show it to him? So maybe this is also a journey for you to see things from a different perspective. It could be that ancient philosophers like Aristotle will serve him better than God ever will. Just a thought...

This is beautiful Megamedes All paths are magnificent indeed :)
Old 31-10-2014, 08:13 PM
Master
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by wstein
Perhaps it is you that needs to be broken through to. Your friend may be wondering why you can't see the 'truth' that "God/spirituality" is just a fantasy. This is an acceptance thing. Stop assuming you know better. Stop trying to change someone else.

Well said wstein
Old 31-10-2014, 08:59 PM
Master

There are some wonderful suggestions here.

The time may not be right for him to find his god connection. I think one of the most important things during such feelings of despair would be connections to more simple things... like friendships shared in a space of acceptance... deep conversation may not be needed... just the simple presence of another human.

Small steps make the difference... sunshine... nourishing food, nature and exercise.

With the god thing... this is his journey and he will find his own connection...

I don't really believe in god either... I used to say that I was an atheist. These days though I am more inclined to say 'I don't know'.

My connection is in the here and now, my relationships with other people and to nature.

I simply don't know for sure that there will be another life after this one... so I make the most of this one.

I have had similar feelings of hopelessness and similar thoughts to your friend and what carried me through was my connection to others.