Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Buddhism

Old 11-10-2014, 01:53 AM
NetOfIndra

Studying Buddhism Has Made Me Think of A Lot of Things

It's mainly made me back aware again and grounded with cause and effect. I don't know how or why, but somehow it is really easy to lose touch with this such basic premise as this - which operates behind the entire universe (hence my name Indra's Net. I think a lot of people are out of touch with this, and it is just getting worse. For an example I used to always leave things lying around. I never put them away, I was fully aware that when I did this I'd have to do it later, and aware of my miserable feelings later on. I was aware there was an effect but I tried to "hide my head in the sand" and pretend to myself this didn't exist. I think a LOT of people do this. It causes much suffering.

I don't think you really have to meditate to get the essence of what the buddha talked about or what he was about and what he discovered. Although it definitely helps. I have a sort of walking awareness, almost a walking meditation I try to cultivate at all times.

I'm on a journey and I'm in the middle of that journey, just trying to figure out what things mean to me, or why I'm here. Or what that means, or where we go when we die, if magic exists and all of that sort of thing. I guess it's why I'm here. This is my introductory post sort of, so I have to explain a few things. I've had a lot of issues with myself, in my life - and in relation to the environment around me. I would say I've had difficulty with symbiosis cycles that everybody has; biology interacts with environment and that sort of thing.

I don't think I've made wise choices, for the bulk of it. Though I do consider myself an intelligent person. I'm a very intense, reactive person. I also tend to experience emotions intensely - hence a lot of my bad decisions. I also have a ton of anxiety. Anxiety in every shape way and form... its been, in symbiosis with anger, low tolerance, reactive decision making - landed me in some not so good karmic places.
It's really too much and too complex to address here, now. I'm trying to be aware and, as if I'm playing a chess game, seeing how every thing interacts, make the best most healthy decisions.
I've been thinking a lot of generosity. Of being generous to others, compassionate, and I've seen how it is returned to me. It's wonderful.

I guess I'll keep adding to this. There's so much to talk about. I wish I knew just what to believe and had it laid out (not that simple I suppose!!). But that's what I wish. There's a lot on my mind now. I'm sure it'll all come out slowly in due time here. I can't rush and don't need to. There's so much I literally go blank.
Old 11-10-2014, 11:57 AM
Suspended
Very good. Just keep meditating and have that rock to fall back upon... Keep your eyes open and supplement with reading and try to join a local sangha if possible.

Later on you may want to try some retreats, but really it is step by step now.

Lots of metta!
Old 21-10-2014, 05:30 PM
Knower
I use buddhist mindfullness a lot it's very calming and relaxing
Old 21-10-2014, 06:28 PM
NetOfIndra

I have been reading the Vedas a lot and some if the Upanishads. They always say, when you want to understand more about a thing study where that thing came from. I find just reading the material and contemplating it helps me to align myself.
Old 21-10-2014, 06:52 PM
Suspended
The Vedas and Upanishads are not Buddhist but the later (rather than the former) has crossover with Buddhism in some ways.. Dhammapada and Heart Sutra might be good to read.
Old 09-11-2014, 01:15 PM
Master
In my current understanding , in human Buddhism is all about realization . Is realizing own existence , cause of own existence , the emotion . Buddhism is not knowledge therefore is not something known to human or something that one could seek to know and is not something that one will ever know .
Perhaps if I could explain by a example , Buddhism is just like if you are in a river that the water continuously flowing into the sea . If you are trying to get out by swimming against the current , or hide away from the current or trying to get out from the water , you only will suffer of fatigue because regardless what you do , you will end up in the sea ...but if you swim as fast as possible with the current towards the sea , still you also will only suffer of fatigue because there is no sea ...the sea is you . Buddhism is realization not determination . I hope to debate with any master here for my own learning process .
Old 08-12-2014, 07:18 PM
AsAHatter

Isnt the idea of buddhism to think less.
Serious.

You are not cause,
Or you are not you,
for when you decide this, and this is the current moment.
And then something says that.
Then you suffer.
Then you realize you are not you.
Then. and then. and, and. and so forth.
Old 09-12-2014, 03:20 AM
NetOfIndra

Should I even respond to defend contemplative thought? The finger points to the moon. We see the finger first... Until we see the moon.
Old 10-12-2014, 01:17 PM
TaoSandwich

NetOfIndra,

Welcome! I look forward to you joining us in taking our journeys alongside one another.

-TaoSandwich
Old 20-12-2014, 11:14 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by AsAHatter
Isnt the idea of buddhism to think less.

The path of Buddhism is not necessarily about thinking less, but rather thinking in more skillful ways which lead to more wholesome states of mind.

Of course, thinking less is part of the process of training the mind and also leads to more wholesome states of mind, especially in terms of cultivating concentration and tranquility. However, the goal is not to stop the mind, but rather to purify it, and this is done with skillful effort which includes mental fabrications like thinking.

Take care