Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Spirituality

Old 11-02-2017, 03:43 AM
Seeker

Islam

Hi everyone, I have been studying Islam for about a year now. I really like the more moderate and mystical side of the religion. Thinking of converting, so many people tell me it is all an evil religion though. I know some sects are extreme, but others are not. Anyone care to share their thoughts on this topic? Should I run away from Islam?
Old 11-02-2017, 04:14 AM
Master
Sufism is usually thought of as the mystical branch of Islam and lots of people, like Rumi or Kahlil Gibran, were highly influenced by Sufi mysticism. While it may be beneficial to seek out the views of others you should not make such important decisions as to how you will approach God or the universe based on what others think. The relationship between a creation and the creator is the most intimate relationship possible.

All of the major, most populated, religions are fractured; that is broken up into many various sects and denominations, and they have internal conflicts within their own religion as well as external conflicts with other religions. Ask an atheist, someone who does not believe in God whether they think something is evil or not and you might get a completely different response than you would from a religious person who believes in “good“ and “evil.” I strongly believe that it is better to see yourself clearly than to be concerned about how others see you.

It is your life; base it on how you feel in your heart, regardless whatever religion you choose or spiritual path you choose; hopefully it is not based on malevolent, or destructive, behavior. Look inside yourself and see how you feel about Islam; sometimes a person chooses a path and at other times a path may choose a person. I did not choose my path rather my path choose me and I knew instantly what path I should follow. Understand that you are your path and how you have chosen to walk your path is the way which you have chosen to unfold yourself. Your path is not your religion, your path is how you have chosen to practice your religion.

P.S. I do not follow any particular religion but I partake from many of them.
Old 11-02-2017, 09:01 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozen Ghost
Should I run away from Islam?
Run towards your bliss!
If it's not your bliss, head in another direction.

The two rules of a happy life, the only guide you ever need.
Old 11-02-2017, 10:09 AM
Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starman
Sufism is usually thought of as the mystical branch of Islam and lots of people, like Rumi or Kahlil Gibran, were highly influenced by Sufi mysticism. While it may be beneficial to seek out the views of others you should not make such important decisions as to how you will approach God or the universe based on what others think. The relationship between a creation and the creator is the most intimate relationship possible.

All of the major, most populated, religions are fractured; that is broken up into many various sects and denominations, and they have internal conflicts within their own religion as well as external conflicts with other religions. Ask an atheist, someone who does not believe in God whether they think something is evil or not and you might get a completely different response than you would from a religious person who believes in “good“ and “evil.” I strongly believe that it is better to see yourself clearly than to be concerned about how others see you.

It is your life; base it on how you feel in your heart, regardless whatever religion you choose or spiritual path you choose; hopefully it is not based on malevolent, or destructive, behavior. Look inside yourself and see how you feel about Islam; sometimes a person chooses a path and at other times a path may choose a person. I did not choose my path rather my path choose me and I knew instantly what path I should follow. Understand that you are your path and how you have chosen to walk your path is the way which you have chosen to unfold yourself. Your path is not your religion, your path is how you have chosen to practice your religion.

P.S. I do not follow any particular religion but I partake from many of them.

I very much agree Starman, an important decision like this should not be made based on others opinions. And it's like you said, all of the major religions are fractured, but I feel that's because religion was not meant to be organized but rather individual. My thought is, who is any man, or group to define the divine being for everyone else. That is a personal relationship between God and man and no two relationships are alike.

And, it's like you said, this particular path found me. I wasn't searching for it. It just came out of the blue at a moment when I least expected it. And naturally, I would practice it my way. I would not be interested in getting involved with organized religion. I rather like the mystical path, it speaks to me and fits who I am. And I would never choose a path for any malevolent reasons. I believe in peace and love. Any religion or person who promotes violence or killing in the name of God, isn't really following God in my opinion. To even think that the divine being would want such a thing is beyond ludicrous.

And yes, my mystical Islamic path would be my own and I would stick to some of the basic rules but probably mix in a few other things from other paths that make sense to me.

Thanks so much for the great reply!
Old 11-02-2017, 10:17 AM
Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baile
Run towards your bliss!
If it's not your bliss, head in another direction.

The two rules of a happy life, the only guide you ever need.

Good advice, and I think the path of a mystic is my bliss! It's basically what I've been all my life but never really had a disciplined framework around it. Sufism gives me that framework in a way that really speaks to my soul. Definitely blissful to me!
Old 11-02-2017, 10:37 AM
Lorelyen

Hi, and welcome.

Quote:
Hi everyone, I have been studying Islam for about a year now. I really like the more moderate and mystical side of the religion. Thinking of converting, so many people tell me it is all an evil religion though. I know some sects are extreme, but others are not. Anyone care to share their thoughts on this topic? Should I run away from Islam?

You need to read a literal translation of the Koran if you can't read it in Arabic, and get down to the real history of its founding. How and why it came into being and what Mohammed's aims were. Of course you may have done this if you've been studying the history.

It's easy to cherry pick from any holy book. It's easy to gloss over dark history because the nice side is appealing. There's fearful stuff in the Koran just as there is in the Bible, both proselyting religions.

One must also appreciate that the Koran is a theocratic system of government. I could be wrong but that's how I see it and as the Ayatollah Khomeini affirmed some while ago.

My principal dislike is that its women are slaves - at whatever age they are owned by a man. As second class they count for nothing in a Sharia court of law. They have to go along with arranged marriages and the like. However, it's up to them to decide their fate. Those who do seek emancipation seem to get punished, as you'll know from reports from Islamic countries. The practicalities leave me aghast!

On the other hand, the few Muslims I know leave peaceably, are charitable and have remarkably stable families.
Perhaps in time reformation will emerge as it did with Christianity.
Old 11-02-2017, 12:39 PM
Master

Quote:

The Ahmediyyas are also a moderate sect of Islam which have renounced the sword completely and instead focuses on scholarship as a religious principle. Because of this moderate stance of theirs, they have been subjected to persecution by orthodox Islam.

The lone muslim Nobel Prize winner in the sciences, Dr. Abdus Salam, was an Ahmediyya muslim. They have succeeded in translating the quran to every known language on earth.

The Ahmediyyas seem to be a peaceful lot, and come across as tolerant and firendly in my conversations with them, and seem similar to the bahais.

When three Ahmediya followers were condemned to death by the Emir of Afghanistan in the nineteenth century for apostasy, the Ahmediya prophet Mirza Ghulam Ahmad prophesized that Afghanistan will see no peace for the next two centuries, and it has been like that ever since.

Wholesome virtuous behavior progressively leads to the foremost.~ Buddha AN 10.1

If you do right, irrespective of what the other does, it will slow down the (turbulent) mind. ~ Rajini Menon
Old 11-02-2017, 12:44 PM
Deactivated Account
I know some of you will hate me but if I may share my opinion: Islam is pure TOXIC and all it does is creating a toxic enviroment and poisoning the mind of it's followers. Yes Christianity used to be evil as well but at least it adapted succesfully into modern society, whereas Islam is still hundreds of years behind in time.
Old 11-02-2017, 12:50 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlayerOfLight
I know some of you will hate me but if I may share my opinion: Islam is pure TOXIC and all it does is creating a toxic enviroment and poisoning the mind of it's followers. Yes Christianity used to be evil as well but at least it adapted succesfully into modern society, whereas Islam is still hundreds of years behind in time.
The Catholic church doesn't allow women priests and has had molestation scandals involving thousands of priests and tens of thousands of children. How is that evolved? As with everything, it is always with the individual, and how the individual works with it, and not the philosophy itself.
Old 11-02-2017, 01:00 PM
Deactivated Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baile
The Catholic church doesn't allow women priests and has had molestation scandals involving thousands of priests and tens of thousands of children. How is that evolved? As with everything, it is always with the individual, and how the individual works with it, and not the philosophy itself.

Not all muslims are terrorists, but all (or at least most) terrorists are muslims. Criticise Chrstianity and nothing much happens, but criticise Islam and you will soon find a mob of angry bearded men at your front door wishing to bestow all kinds of ill things upon you. Think I'm making this up? Google Geert Wilders, he's a huge critic of Islam and for that reason ALONE he needs to be highly protected 24 hours a day. As for the catholic church, I work in one (but am not part of it or it's religion) and they are some of the nicest and non-judgmental people I've ever met. And don't speak as if molestation scandals only take place within the catholic church, there are plenty of sick pedos that aren't involved with religion although I forgot to add that child brides within Islam is also a thing you ignored.