Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Welcome to Spiritual Forums > Forum Help

Closed Thread

Old 11-04-2012, 06:32 PM
Master

Question Requesting a new chat room

I use the forum's chat function a lot. It is not perfect from a technical point of view (the timeout setting is ridiculous and the history window comes up empty nine times out of ten), but it is good for open social chatting and priceless for private chat one-to-one sessions for channeling and guide contact and other spiritual work because of the spiritual energy connection it creates between the chatters.

But I have one major grievance. Wherever I go in the chat forum with someone to have a private chat, there is a steady stream of people coming in to say hello or see what is going on. That's natural. But when you try to have a conversation that includes actual spirits, the LAST think you need is one more disturbance in addition to all sorts of things going on near the computer.

Currently we have three public chatrooms. The General chatroom is essentially an escape place for people who want to chat but not about the current topic of the Spirituality room, which is where 99% of the traffic is. Third is the Reading room where reading is done in public. I COULD have used that room but whenever someone's there it is a magnet for people who are looking for a reading. Understandable.

So my suggestion is a fourth room. I would like to call it "Private, Arranged Conversations only - Shhh!" which hopefully would indicate near zero public chatting in the room. Noone currently active in there would be getting any kind of messages out of the blue. Any hope of such a thing?

I realize that one might simply put themselves as invisible and get less disturbances that way. This becomes utopic when people's private chat window crashes every second minute and they have to refresh the room and then there is neither chat partner to reconnect with, nor 'click here' sentence visible any more.
Old 12-04-2012, 03:55 AM
Rin

Why not use Skype or one of the messenger programs?
Old 12-04-2012, 07:19 AM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rin
Why not use Skype or one of the messenger programs?

I do that too. But every time I do my email address or contact name spreads out further. I like my privacy enough that I stay away from facebook. And I also like to not give the impression that I am available at just any time.... which is why I keep those im programs offline most of the time.
Old 12-04-2012, 03:21 PM
Air

I haven't been in the chat... yet, too shy and boring for that, but this sounds like a decent idea, though I confess I have no idea how easily implemented it'd be. The best compromise has, of course, been brought up, and I sympathize with your thoughts on using IMs WhiteWarrior. It's why I largely stopped doing it save for something like Steam, which I only have one friend on now.

I guess the next best thing is to make sure you set boundaries with whomever you're speaking (please don't give out my info without permission, etc etc) but I trust you've done that too. Good luck either way.
Old 13-04-2012, 04:31 AM
Rin

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteWarrior
I do that too. But every time I do my email address or contact name spreads out further. I like my privacy enough that I stay away from facebook. And I also like to not give the impression that I am available at just any time.... which is why I keep those im programs offline most of the time.
Learn to say NO.
Old 13-04-2012, 06:53 AM
skeptical

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteWarrior
I use the forum's chat function a lot. It is not perfect from a technical point of view (the timeout setting is ridiculous and the history window comes up empty nine times out of ten), but it is good for open social chatting and priceless for private chat one-to-one sessions for channeling and guide contact and other spiritual work because of the spiritual energy connection it creates between the chatters.

But I have one major grievance. Wherever I go in the chat forum with someone to have a private chat, there is a steady stream of people coming in to say hello or see what is going on. That's natural. But when you try to have a conversation that includes actual spirits, the LAST think you need is one more disturbance in addition to all sorts of things going on near the computer.

Currently we have three public chatrooms. The General chatroom is essentially an escape place for people who want to chat but not about the current topic of the Spirituality room, which is where 99% of the traffic is. Third is the Reading room where reading is done in public. I COULD have used that room but whenever someone's there it is a magnet for people who are looking for a reading. Understandable.

So my suggestion is a fourth room. I would like to call it "Private, Arranged Conversations only - Shhh!" which hopefully would indicate near zero public chatting in the room. Noone currently active in there would be getting any kind of messages out of the blue. Any hope of such a thing?

I realize that one might simply put themselves as invisible and get less disturbances that way. This becomes utopic when people's private chat window crashes every second minute and they have to refresh the room and then there is neither chat partner to reconnect with, nor 'click here' sentence visible any more.

Ah, so the private chat windows are unstable? I have noticed people loosing connection to them but it proved to be their net rather than the private chatbox itself.
Old 15-04-2012, 07:54 PM
Master
The problem with the scheduling of certain restricted chats is that you would get into the arguing over who gets to use the room when, and for what night. With a membership at over 10k it is nigh impossible to accommodate everyone to have such requests.

I think the best course of action would be a private chat room instead of just sending a private message in the chat. You can enter into a private chat with people in the chat room.

The next thing after that would be using something like MSN messenger.
Old 15-04-2012, 07:57 PM
Master

I did not ask for a room where just one couple can talk. Hundreds can be there and I won't care, as long as there is no public chatting there.
Old 15-04-2012, 08:04 PM
Master
I can bring your request to staff.
Old 26-03-2013, 11:27 PM
Master

I think its just etiquette, if I see someone having a reading I do not interrupt..
Closed Thread