Spiritual Forums

Home


Donate!


Articles


CHAT!


Shop


 
Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Judaism

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 21-07-2018, 02:41 PM
Starman Starman is offline
Ascender
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 955
  Starman's Avatar
Judaism v Hebrew

I searched the web and found a lot of complicated answers on the difference between Judaism
and Hebrew, but was wondering if someone here can give me a simple answer to this comparison?

I have a friend who considers himself to be Hebrew but he does not identify himself as a Jew.
A lot of people seem to use the words "Jew" and "Hebrew" interchangeably, but what I am finding
is that they may be two different religions, please correct me if this is incorrect?

I have also heard that some Jews are offended if you call them "Hebrew." So I'm just trying to get
some clarification, as a non-Jew and non-Hebrew myself, from some of you here who might have
more insight, and what your opinion may be on this.

Thank you, in advance, for your comments.
__________________
"Life is like a box of chocolates." Forrest Gump
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 28-07-2018, 07:09 PM
7luminaries 7luminaries is offline
Master
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 5,376
  7luminaries's Avatar
I've never heard anyone refer to themselves as Hebrew and it would likely weird or even offensive to most. Hebrew is a modern language (and also an ancient biblical term for the people of that era).

Maybe your friend means he considers himself culturally or ethnically Jewish (a Jew) but does not practice or affiliate with some, most, or any of the religious tradition (Judaism). That would apply to some degree to many other folks, too.

Maybe the confusion or conflation of these terms is a part of it, as well?
Peace & blessings
7L
__________________
Bound by conventions, people tend to reach for what is easy.

Here we must be unafraid of what is difficult.

For all living beings in nature must unfold in their particular way

and become themselves despite all opposition.

-- Rainer Maria Rilke
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-08-2018, 03:56 AM
K1ng_L3ar K1ng_L3ar is offline
Seeker
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 36
 
Jew used to be a derogatory term in the past. Hebrew is an ethnic term for people who speak the language of Hebrew. A people who originated from the southern region of former Iraq. It's no different than calling people Arabs because they usually speak Arabic.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-08-2018, 03:25 AM
7luminaries 7luminaries is offline
Master
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 5,376
  7luminaries's Avatar
King, hello there...nothing you say about Jew or Hebrew makes any sense to me. I don't take your meaning.

The modern-day speakers of Hebrew in Israel do not call themselves Hebrews. That is an archaic term used in the Torah (bible).

It is different than calling folks Arabs. Because no one calls Israelis "Hebrews". And I believe the OP is not referring to an Israeli, either.

Jew was never a derogatory term for Jews, so the fact that others used it in a derogatory sense is not their problem.
It doesn't make the term "Jew" bad for Jews...and to suggest that the term Jew is derogatory for Jews is really deeply offensive.

Do you see what I'm saying? One doesn't look to those who are or historically were prejudiced against you to determine how you label yourselves.
You determine for yourselves who you are and how you will be called or named.

Peace & blessings
7L
__________________
Bound by conventions, people tend to reach for what is easy.

Here we must be unafraid of what is difficult.

For all living beings in nature must unfold in their particular way

and become themselves despite all opposition.

-- Rainer Maria Rilke
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-08-2018, 06:39 AM
Starman Starman is offline
Ascender
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 955
  Starman's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7luminaries
I've never heard anyone refer to themselves as Hebrew and it would likely weird or even offensive to most. Hebrew is a modern language (and also an ancient biblical term for the people of that era).

Maybe your friend means he considers himself culturally or ethnically Jewish (a Jew) but does not practice or affiliate with some, most, or any of the religious tradition (Judaism). That would apply to some degree to many other folks, too.

Maybe the confusion or conflation of these terms is a part of it, as well?
Peace & blessings
7L

My friend definitely considers his religion to be Hebrew. I did some research on it and found out that Hebrew is an ancient religion, it is also a language, and a culture. Below are some links to websites regarding this. In my friends words, "Judaism grew out of the Hebrew religion." Like I said, those are not my words, but my research does seem to support that what was once called the Hebrew religion today is called Judaism. (See links below)

https://bigsiteofhistory.com/hebrew-...civilizations/

http://www.differencebetween.net/mis...sh-and-hebrew/

https://study.com/academy/lesson/the...r-beliefs.html

https://www.biblicaltraining.org/lib...ligion-hebrews
__________________
"Life is like a box of chocolates." Forrest Gump
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-08-2018, 05:40 PM
RabbiO RabbiO is offline
Experiencer
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 373
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starman
My friend definitely considers his religion to be Hebrew. I did some research on it and found out that Hebrew is an ancient religion, it is also a language, and a culture. Below are some links to websites regarding this. In my friends words, "Judaism grew out of the Hebrew religion." Like I said, those are not my words, but my research does seem to support that what was once called the Hebrew religion today is called Judaism.
There are a great number of fringe groups in the world - such as the group known as Black Hebrew Israelites - and great many individuals who follow their own idiosyncratic path.

There is no point in discussing terms like Hebrew, Hebrew religion, Israelite religion, or Judaism without knowing more about your friend and what it is, exactly, he believes.

People are entitled to believe whatever they wish, whatever they choose. I'm more than happy to weigh in, but, in context, I don't have enough information to properly do so.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-08-2018, 07:44 PM
Starman Starman is offline
Ascender
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 955
  Starman's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by RabbiO
There are a great number of fringe groups in the world - such as the group known as Black Hebrew Israelites - and great many individuals who follow their own idiosyncratic path.

There is no point in discussing terms like Hebrew, Hebrew religion, Israelite religion, or Judaism without knowing more about your friend and what it is, exactly, he believes.

People are entitled to believe whatever they wish, whatever they choose. I'm more than happy to weigh in, but, in context, I don't have enough information to properly do so.

For me the bottom line was not necessarily about my friend, fringe groups, etc. I was only referring to my friend as an example. For me it was interesting to learn that Hebrew was once a religion and that even today there are people who consider themselves to be Hebrew. I studied the Hebrew language for many years, and also studied the Torah, Talmud, and Kabbalah for about 13-years at a temple in Los Angeles, CA. So I am familiar with the Hebrew language, Gematria, etc. I have studied the 5-most populated religions in this world, one of which is Judaism, but I did not know that Hebrew was a religion. Now I have learned a lot from my recent research on the difference between Judaism and Hebrew faiths. That was my only interest. Although I do thank you for your offer.
__________________
"Life is like a box of chocolates." Forrest Gump
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 08:11 AM.


Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
(c) Spiritual Forums