Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Lifestyle > Yoga

Old 13-04-2017, 04:40 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryMagdaQueenofQueens
I mean mental and emotional not physical..

And that is why you might want to find a softer approach, because mental and emotional pain is physical otherwise you could not feel it. You clearly seem to have an upper limit problem, which is a self imposed limit to how good you will allow yourself to feel. So as you start to feel good, you will find excuses that bring you down. These are released by expanding your body's capacity to feel good... then both your mental and emotional altitude will follow.
Old 13-04-2017, 04:54 PM
Guide
Location: Beyond this illusion some where between Finding God and helping others
What do you mean by "upper limit problem"
Old 13-04-2017, 07:55 PM
Master

Quote:
What do you mean by "upper limit problem"

Have you ever found that things are kinda going in the right direction, just to find yourself at the bottom again?
Old 13-04-2017, 09:48 PM
Master
Quote:
I'm enjoy reading your convsations I just want to clear one thing up "yoga" is not causing me pain! Its my lack of self disipline which causes pain in my life, and by ain I mean mental and emotional not physical..

please continue writing though..

Yoga Nidra supports deeper relaxation and mindfulness, so it might help to retrain your focus in this way with whole body awareness and some repeated resolutions while your deeply relaxed more so. Sometimes if our bodies are not letting go more deeply, we start finding those resistance points and can;t move through them, but rather start moving as them. Most yoga classes do yoga nidra practices at the end of yoga in part, but you might be supported by a class specifically designed to help you bring a shift deeper in this way I am expressing in this reply...

If you not in a class your going to struggle more so with this issue, because your commitment issues will start to arise and its easier to just not practice when your only committed to your own home base practice.

If you are doing it from home, there is an audio by Gillian Ross, which provides a yoga nidra practice from her "Relaxation for Healing". It includes Relaxation, Breathing and Meditation. Each of the three practices employs different yogic traditions.

Man has learned how to challenge both Nature and art to become the incitements to vice! His very cups he has delighted to engrave with libidinous subjects, and he takes pleasure in drinking from vessels of obscene form! Pliny the Elder
Old 13-04-2017, 11:41 PM
Experiencer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melahin
Yoga can only feel bad if you are doing it wrong. My practice for personal reasons are quite irregular, yet throughout my last two practices I consistently get better throughout the practice no matter how bad I felt at the start, I get more energized, I feel better and so on... not worn out as I did with my "old" practice. If your body is in a bad place you should start out more gentle, and move from there. Maybe Tai Chi is a better place to start. Maybe doing more all-fours if the (lower) back is sore and so on. It feels bad because we are impatient with where we are, and pushes too hard to get to a place where it feels better, but that never works... it only make the journey to feeling good take longer.

Oh sure, I don't deny that you can get better even if you aren't consistent, it's just that it takes longer to get there. And a person can only do what they're body is capable of. If your tendons are too tight, you're not going to be able to touch your toes and your body positioning might be awful, but if that's all you can do, that's all you can do. Wouldn't you agree that the more regularly you do it, the faster you can progress and the more centred and balanced your positions will be? Which in turn means your focus can be less on 'how' you're doing the position so much as you can put your attention more fully on the good way you're feeling your body work.

When I first got really consistent about two months ago, I really noticed how I felt like I could feel my tissue in my arms and such kind of 'uncrinkling' like a dried chamois does as I would stretch it out. Over the next half hour or so, continual motion meant that by the time I was done, the weird crinkly feeling was gone. At the same time by the point where I was finishing up, the awful grinding in my back had let go and I felt good. Now with two months of 3x per week plus the Essentrics, and I'm feeling great from start to finish most days. I'm 62 by the way so at this age, everything tightens up a lot quicker and that becomes part of the challenge, keeping the joints and tissue lubricated for better efficiency.

My body is totally off balance with shoulders and hips at different heights, one leg is longer than the other, and my spine looks like the 's' in the word spine, so yeah, I was probably doing it 'all wrong in the beginning', but eventually I started loosening up enough so that even I was more balanced.

I think yoga is a marvellous place for anyone to start if they just go as far as they are able and no further in the bends and such or actually, even better if a person were to start out with a practise called Essentrics which is a program by a lady who trained as a classical ballet dancer. Its more a program of systematic stretching and in ways that we don't normally move our bodies so that joints that get compacted over time are opened up.

I'm trying to turn my daughter on to that because she doesn't like yoga much and I think that would maybe accomplish the same thing for her.
Old 13-04-2017, 11:44 PM
Experiencer

Quote:
I'm enjoy reading your convsations I just want to clear one thing up "yoga" is not causing me pain! Its my lack of self disipline which causes pain in my life, and by ain I mean mental and emotional not physical..

please continue writing though..

Glad that it isn't the yoga that's hurting you and so sorry it's other issues. Hmm, that's usually not so easy a fix is it? Can't just say, 'be more regular', 'don't bend so far' or 'centre your hips' or.... mental and emotional....well I'll just wish you well on that one. Good luck finding your better place.
Old 15-04-2017, 07:01 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debrah
Wouldn't you agree that the more regularly you do it, the faster you can progress and the more centred and balanced your positions will be?

I agree that a regular practice of listening to what you need, and responding to it is by far the best practice. I just pointed out that in the moments where there are pain you have to back off and find another approach. I remember a gentle or relaxed class during my yoga training where earlier that day had done a very graceful drop out of a handstand (at least it felt graceful, and my yoga partner said it was like i fell in slow motion haha). My lower back was hurting a bit from the fall, and I was very insecure going in to that practice, and soon in how found places I couldn't really move without pushing through. So I settled back and softened my approach, and i ended up being a fantastic class where my pain subsided, and I found more freedom in my movement.

What kind of yoga are you doing, because maybe there are other styles that suits your daughter better.
Old 16-04-2017, 10:08 PM
Experiencer

Yeah, you're right, if you actually do misjudge and 'fall gracefully out of a position' and wind up pulling something, for sure you should dial it back. I guess I was thinking in terms of being so tight that you aren't able to bend or straighten those legs like you'd like to.....accept what you are able to do in that moment and over time, improving on it. I think you and I were maybe thinking of different issues.

I don't know what 'kind' of yoga I do, because I don't go to a class but found a fabulous teacher in Kate Potter who produced the Namaste series. First saw her on tv and loved her style and methods. Here's a link to a video that goes through a work out. http://www.collective-https://www.yo...?v=TtJS-5xZnTs I liked her tv show so much I bought a set of two discs which gives me ten practises and over the years, I've narrowed it down to the four that I like and I alternate them. So now while I follow along, I can flow through the movements easily and without such an intense focus on the spoken directions and instead listen more to my body and what it needs.

I actually recommended to my daughter that she should try Miranda Esmond-White's 'Essentrics' instead of yoga.
Old 16-04-2017, 10:10 PM
Pathfinder
Hey, I'm a Yoga teacher, and I've been through the whole "I waaaaanna" :)

I know that you know this, but Yoga is not exercise. It's not about performance, it's not about doing the poses - it's about you.

Asana is a metaphor for your life:

-How you treat yourself on the mat is how you treat yourself in life.

- You don't get something (a pose) until you're ready for it, and the progress is not linear. More practice does not equal faster results. I practice less than ever these days and am progressing faster becuase I'm practicing the right way now. Which brings me to -

- Yoga is about balancing the Nervous System. This happens through the breath. If you are not studying the breath, you are not doing Yoga, nor will you make progress in your asana.

- Yoga is about the energy body. This is accessed through the bandhas. If you are not exploring the bandhas in every pose, you are not doing Yoga, nor will you make progress in your asana.

Maybe that sounds harsh, but I've been teaching for years, and so many peopel are thinking their way into their practice. You must feel your way.

Without a spiritual mindset, and a focus on the breath and subtle body, Yoga is a good relaxation device, or a tool for improved mobility, or second rate gymnastics.
Old 17-04-2017, 02:15 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debrah
I think you and I were maybe thinking of different issues.

Nah it is the same, feel where you are and move from there, right?

It doesn't matter if you are just a bit tight, or if you have some injury; the body will have a feeling to which you can either respond to or not. If we for some reason have trained ourself some habits that pulls us a way from that feeling, then our first response should be practicing to sensitize to that feeling so we can have a better response, and from there responding in a way that feels better... since the more we practice something the more natural it will feel (so we are back at being consistent in our practice ).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guiding Strala
Move how it feels good to move. Adjust the path you take from one point to another—including direction, angle of approach, speed, acceleration, and deceleration— based on the signals your body sends to you in each moment. Tune every inch of your movement to what’s going on in your body and how every part of you is relating to every other part, in this moment.

In Strala we like to talk about natural movement, and how animals doesn't really focus on bandhas, breath and a whole lot of "yoga" stuff to move. When it moves it simply start to move, and its whole being responds to the nature of the movement, not the other way around. Like a predator is completely caught up in the chase, its focus is on the prey, there is no other room than the purity of its nature, and its body follows to support it. So what if your focus was as simple as feel good, and you could keep your focus on that, would your body not simply respond to follow that?

So what if our yoga practice was not about movement, but about feeling into it, so before we moved at all we trained our focus first? Would we not benefit far greater from that? Probably. It might also be what yoga original was, a means to finding a focus where you were in alignment with you. So maybe yoga becomes painful sometimes because we are doing it all backwards, moving from the outside in, instead of starting from the inside and first move when it feels good to move. Just me thinking out loud