Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Hinduism

Old 17-01-2019, 11:04 PM
Experiencer

Bhakti Yoga the only way?

Is Bhakti Yoga the only way to awaken Krishna Consciousness?
Old 22-01-2019, 07:24 PM
Master
All yogas lead to it. But surrender to an Avatar is the safest and best path
Old 22-01-2019, 10:10 PM
Master
As far as I know, both Krishna and Jesus promoted the Bhakti path, and people like Buddha are Jnani's and promoted that path. I gather the Bhakti path is the 'higher' path but it just doesn't suit everyone, and maybe Jnani is a more suitable place to start, but that path should lead to the Bhakti path in the end.

If it doesn't feel right initially, or the practice is shallow, Bhakti would be of no use anyway, so coming to it via another path would always be fine if another path is more useful at first.
Old 28-01-2019, 10:47 PM
Well, it's the most lovely.
Who doesn't want to melt in love?
With the
Creator of Love that is love forever?

If you don't have a guru...sit in stillness with a sincere heart,
ask the All That Is, God...for His Divine Love...

you can't go wrong! ;)

*I'll text in Navy Blue when I'm speaking as a Mod. :)

Prepare yourself for the coming astral journey of death by daily riding in the balloon of God-perception.
Through delusion you are perceiving yourself as a bundle of flesh and bones, which at best is a nest of troubles.
Meditate unceasingly, that you may quickly behold yourself as the Infinite Essence, free from every form of misery. ~Paramahansa's Guru's Guru

Old 30-01-2019, 03:01 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by django
As far as I know, both Krishna and Jesus promoted the Bhakti path, and people like Buddha are Jnani's and promoted that path. I gather the Bhakti path is the 'higher' path but it just doesn't suit everyone, and maybe Jnani is a more suitable place to start, but that path should lead to the Bhakti path in the end.

If it doesn't feel right initially, or the practice is shallow, Bhakti would be of no use anyway, so coming to it via another path would always be fine if another path is more useful at first.

I agree with virtually everything you wrote, but am curious regarding what made you say that "that path (jnani) should lead to the Bhakti path in the end".

(I think I know where you're going with that, but a confirming clarification would be helpful.)
Old 30-01-2019, 04:11 PM
Guide

Not all Hindus separate the yogas into different yogas. This came about from Vivekenanda's famous 4 books. Lots of people see them as different aspects, even stages of one path, and they overlap. People just tend to put more emphasis on one or the other because of their personality type or personal tendencies. This is to say there is no need to omit any of it.

In my personal school, jnana isn't a path at all, but a state of mind come to by sincere practice of charya, kriya and yoga.
Old 30-01-2019, 04:56 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinayaka
Not all Hindus separate the yogas into different yogas.

Krishna dwells on the paths of karma yoga, raja yoga, jnana yoga and bhakti yoga in the ancient Bhagavad Gita.

Wholesome virtuous behavior progressively leads to the foremost.~ Buddha AN 10.1

If you do right, irrespective of what the other does, it will slow down the (turbulent) mind. ~ Rajini Menon
Old 30-01-2019, 11:56 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Still_Waters
I agree with virtually everything you wrote, but am curious regarding what made you say that "that path (jnani) should lead to the Bhakti path in the end".

(I think I know where you're going with that, but a confirming clarification would be helpful.)

This was my experience really, I was naturally drawn to the jnani path, and followed it as far as I could, but I came to a point where to go any further I had to defer to a higher power. I feel my nature is still more jnani, but going forward requires me to go beyond my personality limitations, and to make this quest more about being receptive to 'God' (as Jesus or Krishna) than about my limited ability to comprehend 'ultimate truth' intellectually. It's a challenge still

Last edited by django : 31-01-2019 at 02:53 AM.
Old 31-01-2019, 02:42 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinayaka
Not all Hindus separate the yogas into different yogas. This came about from Vivekenanda's famous 4 books. Lots of people see them as different aspects, even stages of one path, and they overlap. People just tend to put more emphasis on one or the other because of their personality type or personal tendencies. This is to say there is no need to omit any of it.

In my personal school, jnana isn't a path at all, but a state of mind come to by sincere practice of charya, kriya and yoga.
I agree totally.

I have been avoiding this thread, because all I can say is that Bhakti Yoga is the only path I know, so I really cannot say if any other path leads to liberation, because I don't walk on any other path.

However, Bhakti Yoga also includes Mantra Yoga, Jnana Yoga, Raja Yoga...Just with focus on God with all the love in one's heart.

Aum Namah Shivaya
Old 31-01-2019, 01:38 PM
Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shivani Devi
I agree totally.

I have been avoiding this thread, because all I can say is that Bhakti Yoga is the only path I know, so I really cannot say if any other path leads to liberation, because I don't walk on any other path.

However, Bhakti Yoga also includes Mantra Yoga, Jnana Yoga, Raja Yoga...Just with focus on God with all the love in one's heart.

Aum Namah Shivaya

I'm essentially a bhaktar, as you know. The stages/yogas all feed each other. Bhakti gets you humble enough so you can do service. Service is rewarded with an occasional bhakti moment just for itself. (Someone has to do the dirty work of building the temple before anybody can worship in it. One has to cook the meal before one can eat it.) From bhakti, you find it easier to do yoga, (raja yoga) and yoga leads to jnana. Yoga well done will intensify bhakti.

So it's all interrelated.

My main difference with many is that I don't really consider book study as part of it at all. Jnana is a different kind of knowledge. Sure, one can read Patanjali's yoga sutras, but reading is far different than realising. Realising is true jnana.

I find all the different 'yogas' these days mostly amusing, and often not everyone in a discussion agrees on just what the words mean.