Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Paganism

Old 19-07-2011, 07:32 PM
nightowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilia
Sorry about the rubbish title, I didn't know how to condense my question, in fact I am unsure that I can even word it long form... here goes.

So, when I first came to paganism I learnt that there was a need for ritual and symbolism. As I continued to learn I was taught that there was no need for it, that it is all just stuff to help focus.

Fine....

When I started studying on my lightworker path I was taught that humanity had moved beyond the need for rituals as we are much more able to access the energy to do healing and manifestation (sounds a bit like spell work that)...

Cool....

So, so far it appears that there really is no need for ritual or symbolism any more. Nice....

But... as I have moved on in the lightworker stuff I have learnt that symbols can have actual power. For instance, I was given a symbol that I could use to do distance healing and to send energy through.

Reiki uses specific symbols to "colour" the reiki.

There are artists like Brian De Flores and Shona Winters who are producing art that contains healing energy.

I also heard from a guy who I admire who was using posture to bring about healing....... he is now working purely with sound.

All this implies that there is a purpose to symbolism and ritual. Sound and light hold vibrations, shape the sound and light and you shape the vibration.

Is it possible that as a noob you learn to use these things to help you focus, then at the next level you learn to not need the tools and that focus is all you need to do basic stuff.... but when you move beyond this you find that there are symbols and ritual movements that do have an energetic effect?

Is this why the high magic bunch still use these things???

Quote:
Is it possible that as a noob you learn to use these things to help you focus, then at the next level you learn to not need the tools and that focus is all you need to do basic stuff.... but when you move beyond this you find that there are symbols and ritual movements that do have an energetic effect?

tilla,

As I am not as knowledgeable as some, I just wanted to share my personal view. The above statement is exactly how it progressed for me, it is a circle of understanding of some sort. When I completed this cycle I also realized I had a better understanding of how the first two phases work together, making the third phase, much more focused and potent in its results. At least this is how it went for me.

nightowl
Old 19-07-2011, 07:53 PM
LadyMoondancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animus27
I'll answer using my old basic familiarity with ceremonial magic(k): symbol and ritual serve to cement energy/intention/magic/will/whatever into more tangible terms, performing an elaborate ritual with tons of preparation, and pouring your heart and soul into it has a far more profound effect upon the mind then just energy work or what have you. The images, and motions, the words and implements act like a point of focus that allows us to subconsciously realize "oh hey, this is real!"; along with reinforcing the goal you had to begin with.

But, from my understandin' a person can become adept enough to use only minimal ritual gestures, etc. to get their result. Although everyone I talked to and every book I've read make it clear that it's not something everyone can do, nor is it necessarily "better", in and of itself.

Or at least I hope that's how it goes for some people other than me

Right Animus!
I have noticed for myself, that the more I have progressed, the easier it is to raise energy.
My sister, who is a Theodish heathen and who also does some magick, doesn't use all the ritual trappings that Witches do. But she does do Rune work and the Runes themselves are symbols and symbology work.
I've also read that even though using symbols as a focal point is fine and actually needed as you're learning and growing, eventually you need only your mind, because that is true source of your magick.
For myself, I enjoy the witchy trappings, the candles, the incense, the pretty blue ritual dress I wear. And I enjoy working with symbols and symbology. I actually have a collection of little odds and ends to represent a topic that I may be doing a spell or ritual about or for.
For example, I have an old plastic yin/yang pendant (an old necklace) that is useful for balance work. I've got a little purse charm, a dollar sign pendant, part of a ripped ten dollar bill for use for prosperity/abundance work.
Animus is right about the unconscious mind - it only understands symbols and ritual - and the more you use the same ritual and/or symbols, your subconscious mind will start to "get it." So that whatever you're working on, change within yourself, or change without, your subconscious mind will start working on it.
Old 19-07-2011, 09:17 PM
Sungirl

Although I agree with what is being said, I'm still not convinced there isn't more to this.

It's like learning to work without the "trappings" is looking outside the box, but I wonder if there is another box to look outside of.

I have been doing some research into light language and I think there is something in it (for me).

Look at it this way, everything has a frequency, that frequency can be expressed in different ways, visually by colour, aurally by sound. Why not by shape too?

I'm guessing this is more acceptable to people interested in lightworking rather than pagans.....

It's almost like there is a truth in front of me, I just can't quite tap into it.....
Old 22-07-2011, 04:14 AM
windwhistle

I like working with colored light. It's good for healing. I also add reiki symbols because when I got attuned I felt a heap of energy running through me so I knew it was real. I gotta feel it for it to be real. When I know it works, I use it to help others. I never did ritual but sometimes I sing in an ancient melodic voice that comes from a long time ago. It's my magic voice. Goddess likes it and so do I! Guess what I'm trying to say is theory is like kindergarten...it's the outline...the basics...how you mold and shape it into a creation of your own is like cooking a good stew...it takes a long time to cook and you have to add this and that just right the way you like it...and the whole thing is a beautiful creation from the very beginning when it's just the thought of...I want to make a stew..