Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Spiritualism

Old 26-01-2012, 04:59 PM
Knower

I like this question, Deepsea, as it has me pondering… always a good thing.

Perhaps much of humankind is still uncomfortable with Spiritualism because it does not fit into a nice, neat cubbyhole. As you have noted, even on spiritual forums people find a thought or belief that works for them and then cling to it for comfort… feeling that they have found their final truth thus wish to keep it close like a safety blanket.

I attend a weekly get together with others of like mind for what we call a Wisdom Circle. LOL It is not because we are wise but go to share ideas and hope to gain a wee bit of wisdom. I am glad to say that we exercise the right to disagree... to agree to disagree.

What I see in this group and on a number of forums is that once someone finds a comfort zone it may be difficult for them to step out their ‘new to them’ box. An example … One lady mentioned that she is currently observing herself observing her reactions to situations around her. When I shared that I have been in an observation mode since this past November, she seemed to think ‘her’ way was different. Does it matter? One can observe and learn by watching one’s own response, the response of others involved or merely be a spectator… thus it is all similar. Heck, one can even call it observing the observer observe.

Many humans are wrestling with what is truth. The truth evolves to new levels as we grow spiritually. Maybe it comes down to whether or not a person is willing to look at the ever evolving ’shift’ with a open heart and mind.

Psychoslice, good point. Some folks wish to organize Spiritualism into a belief system. LOL That would be like telling the Universe to stop expanding. Imagine… trying to put the expanding Universe in a finite box.

Deepsea… I get the ‘step back’ and become a witness. I have even found that if a subject is about being fearful (fear to AP, fear of communicating with Spirit, fear of “dark entities”) I rarely even open the thread to read it. Been there, done that.

Glenos… Naw, it is the individual or group that tries to present Spiritualism in a structured way. I do agree though that some people desire and still require structure. Tis lovely to see how many people are awakening to truth outside of the religious/structured/limiting truth. Perhaps the beauty of Spirituality is the ability to question everything?

A wee side note… Several days ago I had an interesting chat with my Dad. Dad is 86 and pretty easy going. He knows I and my friends are spiritually open. When the subject of my relationship with God came up, I explained my choice of not being a part of organized religion… that I felt comfortable with having a relationship with Divine Source/God on a one to one basis. Who can express my thoughts and feelings better to Source than myself?

Love, hugs, hope and blessings all around.
Old 26-01-2012, 05:09 PM
Administrator
Quote:
Originally Posted by psychoslice
Because its a belief, and those who hold beliefs will do anything to protect them, also once you organize a belief such as Spiritualism, you destroy the truth of Spirit.

Hello

I have to fully agree here. I have tried on this Religion and that Religion and so many a Spiritual Path of beleif but nothing ever stuck. Easy for one's to say Lynn ye simply lacked the disaplines to keep with it....NO I got board. There is some that can follow along and bless that ONE path and for them that is the right path. For other's variety really is the spice of life. We need that stimuli that following just one path woluld not give our Soul. We at times FIGHT to follow along but one thing and it just is not in our makeup. We do not seek to be "organized" yet we are the one's that get trashed the most, but I have come to find those people are the most interesting to learn from as they "SPEAK" from lifes experienes not from the book placed in front of them. They are able to see the puzzle pieces layed out on the table (without the box picture there ) and see the complete image when the pieces are placed as ONE whole.

Nothing I feel teaches more than explorations of LIFE. I have gone out some Sunday mornings and looked at the "Message" on the billboard for the Church and wondered in that door and sat down to hear them message....does not mean I have to ever go back there or follow with the works I heard more I wanted to HEAR how they would handle the topic posted.

Life is a journey with open doors for some and safely closed doors for other's does not mean either path is right or wrong its simply maybe the path that person's Soul is on.......

If we could lay down some of the "Good" Books and just see it as a BOOK maybe then the wars or words might stop. A book is but words on a page nothing more......

Lynn
Old 26-01-2012, 05:19 PM
Knower

Interesting link, Mattie. To be honest, I never know that Spiritualism was a ‘religious’ belief. Thank you for bringing that awareness.

Oh, my… then all my psychic friends might be placed in a new to them cubbyhole. Uh, oh…. Me too? Just joshing. However I will check out some of the other links as well.

Love, hugs, hope and blessings.
Old 26-01-2012, 05:38 PM
mac

APOLOGY

I apologise unreservedly to Jules, Super Moderator on SF, for my earlier comments. (now deleted)

I have no right to question when and how she moderates the forum threads.
Old 26-01-2012, 05:53 PM
mac

"Spiritualism may cause heated discussions as some consider it to be a religion. As w/ discussion about other religious beliefs, some can be touchy about their own chosen beliefs. The major organized religions have tried to make their beliefs beyond being questioned & this is viewed by many as problematic. As the following link of spiritualist churches shows, spiritualist churches are only in a few English speaking countries. In the US Spiritualism churches are only in slightly over half of the states, so many in the US may be completely unaware that Spiritualism is a religion for some. Those in non-English speaking countries may have never heard of it. Spiritualism churches seem to be more common in the UK. "

Spiritualism in the USA, the UK and in Australia (at least) are recognised religions - it's not a case of some considering it to be a religion. Would folk say that other religions are "considered to be a religion" I wonder?

Some individual may well be touchy about their beliefs but I post only in my chosen persuasion of Spiritualism, a religion where belief isn't necessary as there is evidence aplenty of what it teaches. I do grow weary, though, of having to repeat myself about all this. It's maybe understandable that it's not well known that Spiritualism is a religion but those who contribute to this discussion forums could always ask about it.

It's of no particular importance just how many, or how few, countries have Spiritualist churches or how many churches there are - it's still a recognised religion. And, yes, in the UK where I live, there are many churches.

Far fewer in the USA and in Australia. Sad because Modern Spiritualism has its roots in Hydesville, New York....
Old 26-01-2012, 06:02 PM
mac

It seems that some heated discussions in the spiritualism forum are from those who are offended when posts pop up that may not be consistent w/ what they feel the forum is intended for, which seems to be strictly the discussion of spiritualism as a religion, Some may feel that but as a regular contributor this isn't the situation for me.....even though many would see many other related subjects to be applicable. That's always going to be arguable..... It is worthwhile to be patient w/ those who may not know what spiritualism is given that it is primarily in English speaking countries, so some posters may have never heard that this is a religion. I think you're now making too much of the religion aspect - Spiritualism is also a philosophy. I rarely visit a church yet I see myself as a dyed-in-the-wool Spiritualist - the religion aspect has secondary importance to the philosophy but I always point out its religion connotation because 'spirituality' is regularly mentioned when newcomers arrive in this forum. Others may not see the difference between the Spiritualism category & the Spirituality or Spiritual Development category or may have thought they were posting in one of the 2nd or 3rd ones. And that's why it's repeatedly pointed out....

While it could be useful to place a permanent first post explaining the difference between Spiritualism & Spirituality to assist those in placing their post where it will be most effective, I’m more concerned about making posters who may be completely unaware that Spiritualism is a religion or who just don’t know where to post feel as if they have committed an infraction about posting something about spirit in this category. Agreed and often individuals quickly realise they're in the wrong place and move on to a forum where their contributions are relevant..... For those who are concerned about this issue, it is very easy to let them know in a friendly, noncritical informative manner that spiritualism is considered to be a religion by some. I've dealt with this already.
Old 26-01-2012, 06:12 PM
mac

REBUKING someone who posts something about spirit in the Spiritualism forum publicly will likely make them less likely to post on the whole forum. But others have taken great delight in repeatedly insisting that the 'Spiritualism' forum is exactly the right place for the unrelated material they write.

If the objective is to give them cause to want to explore Spiritualism as a religion, their question that may be perceived as clumsy or tediously newbie may be an opportunity to explain things about Spiritualism that would make them feel welcoming to the subject. Rebukes seldom accomplish this. Then you're approach will be very welcome - I hope we'll see you more on this Spiritualism forum explaining the differences in your patient way.
Old 26-01-2012, 06:18 PM
mac

"Perhaps much of humankind is still uncomfortable with Spiritualism because it does not fit into a nice, neat cubbyhole. As you have noted, even on spiritual forums people find a thought or belief that works for them and then cling to it for comfort… feeling that they have found their final truth thus wish to keep it close like a safety blanket."

Equally one might argue that much of humankind doesn't actually know what Spiritualism is about because they've not been exposed to what it teaches?

And everyone is perfectly entitled to use whatever they need to get through life and I don't have a scrap of interest in trying to make a convert of anyone. But if anyone wants to know, wants to understand, then I'll bend over backward to help in whatever way I can.
Old 26-01-2012, 06:23 PM
mac

"One lady mentioned that she is currently observing herself observing her reactions to situations around her. When I shared that I have been in an observation mode since this past November, she seemed to think ‘her’ way was different. Does it matter? One can observe and learn by watching one’s own response, the response of others involved or merely be a spectator… thus it is all similar. Heck, one can even call it observing the observer observe."

"Does it matter?" Perhaps it matters to her? Should anyone be deciding for another what does, or does not, matter?

I've often described myself as more an observer than a participant in life but I don't expect that others should be the same. I've learned a great deal vicariously, from the experiences of others, and expect to continue to do. But what works for me may not work for others and I don't expect them to adopt my ways....
Old 26-01-2012, 06:53 PM
mac

" it is the individual or group that tries to present Spiritualism in a structured way. I do agree though that some people desire and still require structure. Tis lovely to see how many people are awakening to truth outside of the religious/structured/limiting truth. Perhaps the beauty of Spirituality is the ability to question everything?"

Is this the Modern Spiritualism - religion and philosophy - you're referring to? If so it's already structured but its not what you've written in that last sentence - "Spirituality".And Spiritualism has always encouraged questioning and challenging, everything and anything. quote: "Spirit loves an enquiring mind." When anyone advocates that something must be accepted without questioning alarm bells sound with me.

There's absolutely NOTHING that can't be questioned, that has to be accepted because someone's said so....