Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Judaism

Old 08-03-2011, 02:40 PM
Experiencer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saladkiller
Rabio, since you asked lol.. I believe the fruit is a metaphor, not a real object that one could touch or taste.

Salad,

I didn't say anything regarding the tree. The only two points I brought up were the appropriateness of the OP posting this thread on the Judaism sub-forum and the fact that the meaning of the name "Israel" is not quite what the post says it is.

B'shalom,

Peter
Old 08-03-2011, 04:35 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shim
Well I refuse to show anybody the apple of my eye! I've heard that it is figs and also the pomegranate, although I have always considered the pomegranate the fruit of royalty.
Shim, Figs I think get many votes...since fig leaves were said to be used for cover...
Also grapes...implying knowledge of winemaking and "sinning" from imbibing wine without covenental restraints or similar context of holiness...
Some say wheat...symbolic of "wisdom"...and perhaps as being foundational to the agrarian age and the spread of ppls...but I don't like wheat so I personally don't like that one, LOL...
or etrog (citron), whose Hebrew root can be related to the word "desire".

-------------------------------------
newnature...I have to say that the tone is a little strange, even apart from mentioning Yeshua.

For one, Jews don't say the Name (tetragrammaton)..we say God or G*d or any of a number of other names...and so it is offensive to many to see it, just in case you didn't know.

Also, God never feared we would approach Him as a result of eating of the tree. This is not a Jewish interpretation. Rather, there was an internalisation of doubt and of the evil inclination that resulted with the eating of the fruit (mixing of good and evil...into the nature of men). We "know" good AND evil in the way that men and women "know" one another...i.e., we became intimate with the desire to do both good and evil...instead of only good.

And the relationship between Jacob/Israel and God is also not quite as you described...as RabbiO said. I can post some etymology I ran across once with thought was pretty good, & which may clarify it if you read through to the end.

Just a question...what is the question or purpose of the posts? Would you like the Jewish response or reaction to these? Or do you have some specific questions?

L'shalom,
7L
Old 08-03-2011, 05:05 PM
Master
Jacob/Israel

http://www.abarim-publications.com/Meaning/Israel.html

I think for me the key aspect of the meaning of the name implies ongoing interaction or engagement, an ongoing active relationship between humans and God. And that to break that connection goes "against the very nature of God".

Although this may not be a Jewish source, I thought it was a pretty good discussion of the meaning of the name. The key thing here is that struggle is not negative...it has to do with internal spiritual work that is necessary in our relationship with God.

L'Shalom,
7L
Old 08-03-2011, 10:03 PM
Pathfinder

Thanks everyone for the insights, the different names for Yahweh I agree, but it seems to me those names had to do with Yahweh's land? Different days and times back in them days, it appears people living on Yahweh's land went and put a statue of some kind of god in the sanctuary; their was no statue of anything in Yahweh's sanctuary, theirs more to this land before it was promised to Abraham.
Old 15-03-2011, 12:33 AM
Suspended
Hi NewNature,
This topic caught my attention, since I've been thinking & reading about symbolism of trees...
Quote:
The Tree of Life is a universal symbol found in many spiritual traditions. It symbolizes many things, including wisdom, protection, strength, bounty, beauty, and redemption. This tree is symbolic of the Creator as it sustains creation with its abundant fruit, protection and regeneration. The Tree also represents humans as we too develop roots, strengthen our trunk and branch out to a wider vision of life as we grow. - Sondra Crane
I also appreciate how, like the tree, we have both ancestral & spiritual roots.
To have a healthy fruit-bearing tree, proper soil, sunlight, water & care needs to be given it.
Similarly, we need to care for ourselves, physically, mentally & spiritually to live productively.

"By their fruits, ye shall know them."
Old 21-03-2012, 03:31 PM
sbjazzman

See the Coincidence of Opposites in the forum at oracle of the phoenix dotcom.