Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Taoism

Old 12-04-2017, 09:53 PM
Pathfinder
Reverse breathing

Hi everyone,

Do any of you know what is the purpose (in terms of chi distribution) of reverse breathing?

Thanks!
Old 13-04-2017, 08:37 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean
Hi everyone,

Do any of you know what is the purpose (in terms of chi distribution) of reverse breathing?

Thanks!

Reverse breathing expands the lungs more than in normal breathing, it also helps to clear stale air. Babies in the womb breath reverse.
Regarding ' chi '..... Chi is stored in the three Dantiens, upper, middle and lower, the lower is said to be the most important and with reverse breathing you are waking up the lower Dantien to aid the circulation of Chi more efficiently.
If you try it make sure your tongue touches the roof of your mouth, rest it just behind your front teeth this is an important accupuncture point where Yang Chi and Yin Chi change over.
Qigong breathing might interest you
Old 14-04-2017, 08:54 PM
Pathfinder
Thank you very much Sky!
Old 10-08-2017, 01:06 PM
Seeker

The real nature of reverse breathing depends on the level and intention of the practicioner.

Though as a general caracteristic, i would say reverse breathing is more external than the normal one.So it corresponds more to magic than meditation. Normal breathing is more meditative, more relaxed.

The thing is, one should be able to do both with both kinds. But yeah, there is a difference.

Think about in terms of association with a physical performance. When you lift a heavy weight like in weightlifting, you breathe out. In body building too, but it is done in contraction. So when lifting, at exhale, the muscle contracts(it corresponds to meditation).

Though in weightlifting, where you want not to grow muscle, but to explode very fast once(wich corresponds to magic), you reverse the breathing, and use elastic force just like in taichi chuan.Now of course, weightlifting also involves a lot of muscle contraction, but it is the internal, reversed force that gives that extra power, and that eplains that a light weightlifter may be just as strong as a heavy bodybuilder.
Old 13-08-2017, 02:52 PM
Newbie ;)
Master
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky123
Babies in the womb breath reverse.

I dont believe babies/fetus breaths at all. First IN-spiration is occurs outside the mothers body.

Maybe something I dont know about going on. Sky, please elaborate on specific details and linke if you have one. Thx

r6

"My education has been of my biggest impediments to my learning"...A. Einstein

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool."...R Feynman
Old 15-08-2017, 08:32 AM
Master
https://www.qigonginstitute.org/abst...bryo-breathing

If you look up Taoist reverse breathing you will find lots of info :

Quote:
Originally Posted by r6r6r
I dont believe babies/fetus breaths at all. First IN-spiration is occurs outside the mothers body.

Maybe something I dont know about going on. Sky, please elaborate on specific details and linke if you have one. Thx

r6
Old 15-08-2017, 02:24 PM
Newbie ;)
Master
Book1 IN-spiration Is First IN[halation of Baby Outside of Womb

Quote:
https://www.qigonginstitute.org/abst...bryo-breathing

If you look up Taoist reverse breathing you will find lots of info :

.."Embryo breathing in Qigong is so called turtle breathing
...In the most quiet state, Yang energy stream starts to produce a kind of breathing--turtle breathing (embryo breathing) from dantian to take the place of lungs function to push forward the whole body circulations of blood and energy stream.

..The strong stream causes the excitation and the growing in meridians, although physiological state is in the violent movement, lung's breathing is in the stop state."...

.."Dantian, dan t'ian, dan tien or tan t'ien is loosely translated as "elixir field", "sea of qi", or simply "energy center". Dantian are the Qi Focus Flow Centers, important focal points for meditative and exercise techniques such as qigong, martial arts such as t'ai chi ch'uan, and in traditional Chinese medicine."...

I still dont understand how a baby/fetus in the womb is "reverse breathing".

The mothers blood supplys all oxygen and nutrients to the baby/fetus ergo the baby/fetus is not forward, or reverse{ embryo } breathing. imho

IN-spiriation is the first IN-halation of air into the lungs and occurs when baby is outside of the mothers womb. This is the reason for the bulb syringe to clear babies nose of fluids so fluids are not inhaled into lungs.

Bulb syringe and blanket critical items for newborn to survive outside of the womb. I was taught this in EMT class many years ago.

r6

"My education has been of my biggest impediments to my learning"...A. Einstein

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool."...R Feynman
Old 16-08-2017, 06:47 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by r6r6r
.."Embryo breathing in Qigong is so called turtle breathing
...In the most quiet state, Yang energy stream starts to produce a kind of breathing--turtle breathing (embryo breathing) from dantian to take the place of lungs function to push forward the whole body circulations of blood and energy stream.

..The strong stream causes the excitation and the growing in meridians, although physiological state is in the violent movement, lung's breathing is in the stop state."...

.."Dantian, dan t'ian, dan tien or tan t'ien is loosely translated as "elixir field", "sea of qi", or simply "energy center". Dantian are the Qi Focus Flow Centers, important focal points for meditative and exercise techniques such as qigong, martial arts such as t'ai chi ch'uan, and in traditional Chinese medicine."...

I still dont understand how a baby/fetus in the womb is "reverse breathing".

The mothers blood supplys all oxygen and nutrients to the baby/fetus ergo the baby/fetus is not forward, or reverse{ embryo } breathing. imho

IN-spiriation is the first IN-halation of air into the lungs and occurs when baby is outside of the mothers womb. This is the reason for the bulb syringe to clear babies nose of fluids so fluids are not inhaled into lungs.

Bulb syringe and blanket critical items for newborn to survive outside of the womb. I was taught this in EMT class many years ago.

r6

Taoist are not referring to breathing oxygen but ' Chi '.
In the later part of pregnancy a baby will practise breathing in the womb to help the lungs develop, this is done in reverse, they breath in small amounts of amniotic fluid, not oxygen..
Old 16-08-2017, 11:04 PM
Master

Quote:
Taoist are not referring to breathing oxygen but ' Chi '.
In the later part of pregnancy a baby will practise breathing in the womb to help the lungs develop, this is done in reverse, they breath in small amounts of amniotic fluid, not oxygen..

i believe (not sure) that there is some relationship between reverse breathing and the fact of the umbilical cord. I had thought that the reason for 'reverse breathing' was to 'breath in' through the umbilical cord (since obviously you cannot breathe through the mouth).