Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Buddhism

Old 19-02-2018, 08:08 AM
Knower

Golden Eightfold Path of Buddha

Long since, many religious leaders preached the Eightfold Middle Way or, otherwise, the Golden Eightfold Path of the Buddha. Of course, in modern society it is difficult to practice this Path, and the Six Perfections are much more suitable practice. But in any case, you need to have a general idea of ​​the Eightfold Path, perhaps someone will want to try this practice.

1. The Right Look

The first in the Golden Eightfold Path is the Right Look, which means seeing everything in the right way. What does it mean to "see everything in the right way"? This means that you should recognize that everything is suffering.

However, we live in a civilized society. In order to live, we must earn money, we must eat. If you have a family, you must love your wife and children. In that case, you should know that the Right Look is impossible. Is not it? With monks who have retired from society, things may be different, but we are deeply immersed in the World of Phenomena. And the World of Phenomena is a world of illusions, a world full of mistakes. It is useless to try to achieve the right view of things while staying in it.

In general, it all started with how the True Ego, which was in a state of independent existence, fell under the influence of illusions due to the intervention of the Three Gong and followed the wrong path. After gaining experience in the Causal and Astral worlds, it was embodied in a world of suffering and suffering. After this, suffering increases as the True Ego acquires attachments and is associated with many things. And to see this world as a world of illusions, the world of suffering into which our True Ego has plunged is the Right Look.

2. Correct Thinking

The next stage is Right Mind. What kind of practice is this? First, he says that you need to analyze the events and circumstances around you and make sure that your analysis is based on the Right Look.

Secondly, he says that you should analyze your behavior and your way of thinking. This is the Right Thinking. Modern people, of course, are able to do this. However, since the Right Condition is a prerequisite for Right Mind, if you do not have the Right Look, the Right Mind will be impossible.

3. Correct Speech

Then the Right Speech follows. It's very simple. Here it is meant that you should speak only the truth and make your speech polite.

4. Correct Actions

The fourth is Right Actions. It's about everyday life. Buddha Shakyamuni said: "Understand the importance of each day and persistently improve." However, this is too vague, is not it? In practice, it speaks of the practice of Buddhism. That is, it is equivalent to not doing anything other than practice.

This is necessary because a person does not know when he dies. Perhaps you will die tomorrow or the day after tomorrow, but you do not have any guarantee of happiness in the next life. If you want happiness in your next life, use it better every day and practice persistently. This is how the Right Actions are interpreted for lay practitioners.

5. Right Life

While the Right Actions talk about your daily life, the Right Life regulates life as a whole. Buddha Shakyamuni says: "Live your whole life so that you can achieve true Liberation and Enlightenment." Here we mean monasticism. It's also quite difficult, because we have to work and take care of our family. If children are left to themselves, they will become uncontrollable. If you do not take care of your parents, they will be sad.

However, Buddha Shakyamuni said: "Do not worry about such things, leave your home and persistently practice for the sake of Liberation. Tear out all the roots of attachments and seek liberation. " That's what the Right Life is.

6. Correct Memorization

Then follows the Correct Memorization of memory, that is, the constant repetition of the teaching, fixation on dharma. What is meant by this? Becoming a monk is very difficult. But you should stand it, concentrate your attention on yourself and continuously think about Enlightenment, continuously study the teachings of yoga and Buddhism. This is called the Right Memory Fix. So, this is the process of improving the mind.

7. Correct Stress

The right Effort indicates real action. For example, even if it rains, but the water does not reach Manipura-chakra, you must continue to meditate. Devote yourself to intense meditation. Persistently distribute the Dharma. This is the Right Effort. You can practice the Right Effort before Correcting a Memory Fix.

8. Correct Meditation

And the last is Correct Meditation. Correct Meditation is a meditation that stops all the work of the subconscious. You limit it and burn its roots. Practice this meditation with all your perseverance. This is the Right Meditation.

Thus, the Golden Eightfold Path of the Buddha consists of Right Look, Right Mind, Right Speech, Right Actions, Right Life, Correct Memorization of Memory, Right Effort and Right Meditation
Old 04-07-2018, 06:41 PM
Seeker
Thank you for sharing this.

I am sure you can modify and apply this to modern society in some ways. Buddha has mentioned to question everything even his own teachings and apply his ways into your own life path.
Old 04-07-2018, 07:05 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Crane
Thank you for sharing this.

I am sure you can modify and apply this to modern society in some ways. Buddha has mentioned to question everything even his own teachings and apply his ways into your own life path.

Of course you can apply any of Buddha's teachings to our modern lives
His teachings are timeless.
Old 08-09-2018, 06:08 PM
Pathfinder

One problem meny people has today is that they try fit the religion to them self, instead of trying to fit them self to the religion, meaning if they can not do what the religion is teaching, they change the text or meaning so it fit their lazy unmorally way of living. Ofcourse this lead to more suffering and they complain the teaching does not work. actually it is the person him/her self that does not work. Religion is not meant to be easy, it is mean to be teaching how we can change from being low level human beings to become enlighten being with result in no more samsara
Old 08-09-2018, 06:44 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanaki
One problem meny people has today is that they try fit the religion to them self, instead of trying to fit them self to the religion, meaning if they can not do what the religion is teaching, they change the text or meaning so it fit their lazy unmorally way of living. Ofcourse this lead to more suffering and they complain the teaching does not work. actually it is the person him/her self that does not work. Religion is not meant to be easy, it is mean to be teaching how we can change from being low level human beings to become enlighten being with result in no more samsara

It can work both ways, you can fit a Buddhists teaching into your life to enhance it and you can also change your lifestyle to fit into a teaching.
Old 08-09-2018, 08:55 PM
Experiencer

To summarise in brief:

The Eightfold Path is part of the fourth of The Four Noble Truths taught by the Buddha.

Wisdom

1.Right Understanding
2.Right Aspiration

Morality

3.Right Speech
4. Right Action
5 Right Livelihood

Concentration

6. Right Effort
7. Right Mindfulness
8.Right Concentration

Source: https://cdn.amaravati.org/wp-content...hn_Sumedho.pdf

_/|\_
Old 08-09-2018, 09:43 PM
Pathfinder

Sky123 Buddhist teaching can be a part of your lifestyle yes, But what i mean is one can not chang the teaching it self to fit once own life, if you change a word in a teaching, is it then a true teaching by a Buddha? we as human beigs who are not enlighten yet can not see the full truth Buddha saw when he reach enlightenment, so when he made the teaching that was the truth withing sakyamunis path. If i as a buddhist change this words, it is no longer sakyamunis teaching. Then it become my understanding of his teaching, and that can not yet be called buddhism :)

Hope you understand what i tried to explain :)
Old 09-09-2018, 04:17 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanaki
Sky123 Buddhist teaching can be a part of your lifestyle yes, But what i mean is one can not chang the teaching it self to fit once own life, if you change a word in a teaching, is it then a true teaching by a Buddha? we as human beigs who are not enlighten yet can not see the full truth Buddha saw when he reach enlightenment, so when he made the teaching that was the truth withing sakyamunis path. If i as a buddhist change this words, it is no longer sakyamunis teaching. Then it become my understanding of his teaching, and that can not yet be called buddhism :)

Hope you understand what i tried to explain :)

It would be impossible to follow Buddha's teachings ' word for word ' as he never wrote anything down himself. You only have to look at different Schools of Buddhism to see the way what we think of as his teachings have been translated. Time and culture changes things.

“Don’t blindly believe what I say. Don’t believe me because others convince you of my words. Don’t believe anything you see, read, or hear from others, whether of authority, religious teachers or texts. Don’t rely on logic alone, nor speculation. Don’t infer or be deceived by appearances. Do not give up your authority and follow blindly the will of others. This way will lead to only delusion. Find out for yourself what is truth, what is real."

The ' Core Teachings ' haven't changed but from what I have seen for myself there are differences in various Schools.
Old 09-09-2018, 08:22 AM
Pathfinder

I agree we should not follow blindly. But there is a difference in follow blindly and making the teaching more easy to fit our life.

Sakyamuni even say, if you find something i say to be wrong then do not follow what i say.

But what i mean is to follwo sakyamunis teaching is a life long study of our self, how do we act speak and think in every situation in life. to highten morality, and the 8 follded path does give us the answer we need to gain wisdom.

Together with 4 noble truths and morality, that is actually the core teaching of buddha, and all the suttas are explenation of how to realise this core teaching.

ofcourse i can be wrong on this, but this is how i come to understand it.