Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Spiritual Development

Closed Thread

Old 02-10-2012, 01:53 AM
Mathew

Is it wrong to want to be yourself?

Is it wrong to want to be yourself? This is my personal dilemma, do I follow a spiritual course to help others & become a hero to them or become a spiritual teacher of some kind or do I just live out my life’s drama which is influenced by the wrong side of the track beginnings, to some anyway?

I’m sort of at crossroads at the moment but can’t I just be myself with all my humanly flaws & still be a little spiritually aware? After conversing with Gem, yes this is me, I don’t want to be some martyr or a hero to others, I just want to be me warts & all.

I don’t think we are all supposed to be spiritual heroes & I don’t mean that sarcastically as heroes are much needed in this world but I don’t think it’s for me. I think we should respect each other for what we choose to be in our lives instead of trying to force or expect everyone to be spiritual; I don’t think that’s personally necessary. The spiritual heroes will of this world will or try to carry us through in whatever happens, a meteor hits the Earth or a change of dimensional consciousness or whatever, spiritual heroes are there to either help or make it a lot worse as shown in the past but what will be will be!!

I have a fond respect for people who want to spread around love or their beliefs or whatever to help others in need & I think it’s my right to dislike how I’m or others are treated at times & to take appropriate steps to amend this. Is being aggressively subjective to someone who has wronged you wrong & is being loving to that person who has done you wrong right? In spirituality there is supposed to be no wrong or right so how can I be wrong in my aggressive subjectiveness? Who really has the right to say what’s right or wrong here, of course if one does wrong against certain rules, regulations & laws you expect reprisals but what individual has the right to say what you should be & how you should act, it sounds awfully like dogmatic dictatorship to me.

We should all just be ourselves & respect each other for that right to choose what one wants to be!!

Love
Mathew

Last edited by Mathew : 02-10-2012 at 03:10 AM.
Old 02-10-2012, 03:10 AM
Master

Quote:
I’m sort of at crossroads at the moment but can’t I just be myself with all my humanly flaws & still be a little spiritually aware?
Sure, why not? Be aware of everything and don't judge it.

Quote:
Who really has the right to say what’s right or wrong her, of course if one does wrong against certain rules, regulations & laws you expect reprisals but what individual has the right to say what you should be & how you should act, it sounds awfully like dogmatic dictatorship to me.
Amen! Unless you break the rules, you can say whatever you want.
Old 02-10-2012, 03:16 AM
Mathew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seawolf
Sure, why not? Be aware of everything and don't judge it.

Amen! Unless you break the rules, you can say whatever you want.

There are certain boundaries in everything, if you cross them one must expect reprisal, boundaries are our guide, they are a must especially in realities like this one.

I do have trouble with judging at times, it's humanly but one must be aware!!

Love
Mathew
Old 02-10-2012, 03:24 AM
Buzz

Quote:
Is it wrong to want to be yourself?

No. Personally I find it refreshing when someone has enough honestly to not want to help people or to save the world, if that is not their agenda. Some folk will do more to help mankind by simply knuckling down and living their life as true as they can.
I mean, I can barely tolerate people let alone want to help them. And really what help could I hope to offer being so self absorbed and into my own trip. It is just not my thing at the moment, however if you are drawn to it and not just trying to live up to some lofty spiritual concept then go for it!!!
Old 02-10-2012, 03:26 AM
Master
Yes just be your self, if others like what you share and can use what you share, then so be it, if they don't, well that's ok also. I think this is how most so called guru's are, they get called teachers or whatever by those who are after something from them, but the so called Guru's will always point you back to your SELF.
Old 02-10-2012, 03:27 AM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathew
There are certain boundaries in everything, if you cross them one must expect reprisal, boundaries are our guide, they are a must especially in realities like this one.

I do have trouble with judging at times, it's humanly but one must be aware!!

Love
Mathew
Sure I know how you feel, I judge all the time and know I do it but do it anyway. I think the thing to focus on is accepting everything. So everything includes the judging, which means being aware of it and think of that feeling as being loved instead of hated. From that perspective I can think more clearly about myself.
Old 02-10-2012, 03:47 AM
Master
Wanting to be yourself is the pretty much the motivation of the spiritual path. For most beginners a spiritual teachers helps speed that along greatly. At some point, you go as far with them as they can lead you. At that point its time to find another teacher or time to find another way to continue your growth. Ultimately you will have to take ownership of your spiritual journey and direct its progress yourself. In those later stages, you can still learn things from others but they are not your 'teacher' per se.

If it helps, think of parenting. At first the child absolutely needs parents to take care of them and guide them. After a while they turn to other sources of learning in addition to their parents. At some point however, they need to grow up and become their own person. The parents can still aid them but they must make the hard choices. Their parents are still their parents but the children act as independent adults.
Old 02-10-2012, 04:08 AM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by wstein
Ultimately you will have to take ownership of your spiritual journey and direct its progress yourself. In those later stages, you can still learn things from others but they are not your 'teacher' per se.
I don't know any rule that says it has to be a later stage. If you can understand the concept and that's where it's leading, then skip all that and get started on it immediately. Why not?
Old 02-10-2012, 04:24 AM
Master
When you are yourself, you may find you are also all to others,,,

Love and hugs

Jo

XxXx
Old 02-10-2012, 04:36 AM
Rin

Is it even possible NOT to be yourself?

Whatever I do I am myself. I may wish to think and act differently, and in realizing this I am myself.

What is this idea that we are not ourselves? If we aren't then what are we? And how would being yourself be an improvement over what you are at the moment?
Closed Thread