Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Complementary Therapies & Traditional Medicine > Tai Chi & Chi Gong

Old 05-09-2012, 01:23 PM
Rin

One general difference between Tai Chi and Qigong is that Tai Chi can be quite complex because it is a series of movements which need to be executed in a specific sequence. Qigong is often a number of largely independent movements and although there may be a preferred sequence they could be done in any sequence. Qigong forms are easier to learn and the complexity of Tai Chi is often a contributing factor to the high drop out rates.
Many of the internet based offerings (including taichi18) are more Qigong than Tai Chi.
Old 05-09-2012, 02:36 PM
Sungirl

Have to say I quite like the idea of there being a set sequence.

I have learnt the Sun Salutation for Yoga and the flow is lovely. I have a poor memory so anything I can learn by rote is good. And the ritual-ness of repetition also attracts me.
Old 06-09-2012, 03:35 AM
Rin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sungirl
Have to say I quite like the idea of there being a set sequence.

I have learnt the Sun Salutation for Yoga and the flow is lovely. I have a poor memory so anything I can learn by rote is good. And the ritual-ness of repetition also attracts me.
Some Tai Chi sequences are not only complicated but also very long. How does a 150+ form sequence which has to be executed in an exacting manner sound to you?

With Qigong it doesn't really matter if you get the sequence wrong or forget about one movement. Just try to remember it next time.

And let's not forget the people who have some physical impairments and cannot perform some movements or have difficulty to perform the balancing act of Tai Chi because of advanced age.

Some people may take issue with this statement, Tai Chi is unforgiving, for the really dedicated or fanatic. Qigong is for ordinary people who like to do some energy work for themselves.
Old 06-09-2012, 11:30 AM
Sungirl

So Rin, I get the impression you are not so much a fan on tai chi?

I'll find some you-tubes of them both and take a look then.

Have to say, there must be some people out there that like tai chi otherwise it wouldn't still be so popular.

All this leads to another question....

Are there different sequences for tai chi? If there are some with 150 moves are there others that are short?
Old 06-09-2012, 04:25 PM
Rin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sungirl
So Rin, I get the impression you are not so much a fan on tai chi?

I'll find some you-tubes of them both and take a look then.

Have to say, there must be some people out there that like tai chi otherwise it wouldn't still be so popular.

All this leads to another question....

Are there different sequences for tai chi? If there are some with 150 moves are there others that are short?
I'd like for people to stick with the practice and for that one must be able to experience oneself as competent. Continual doubts about execution and a long learning cycle delay the benefits one derives from the practice because one has to concentrate on the mechanical aspects rather than the energetic ones.
Googling for Tai Chi forms brings up
8 forms, 10 form, 13 postures forms
18 forms, 24 forms, 32 forms, 36 forms, 37 posture forms, 40 forms, 42 forms, 45 forms, 48 forms
73 forms, 83 forms, 103 hand movement forms, 108 forms
and I haven't even worked through all the google results.

The different sets are usually different movements, e.f Spring Forest Qigong will be quite different to Wild Goose Qigong, etc.

Many people start with Tai Chi because that is what they usually hear about first.
Old 07-09-2012, 02:50 PM
Sungirl

That makes sense Rin.

So, will you not feel the chi if you don't do it spot on perfect? Or, if you just try you will still feel it?

Where does the need for perfection come from? The tradition or the connection?

I mean is it like learning to play a violin in that you have to persevere through making a lot of horrible noises for quite some time before you get any sign of it working? Or is it like playing the piano where you can start off making some nice noises, but it's much better if you do it properly?

Does that question make sense?
Old 08-09-2012, 06:03 AM
Rin

The most important quality in both practices is to be "relaxed", meaning no unnecessary tension in body and mind.
Asking yourself in your mind "what is the next movement again?", wondering whether one really executes a movement the way it should be done, trying to hurry thing along, etc. is creating tension in one's mind and this will reflect in one's body.
Forcing oneself to perform a movement picture perfect even though one may have an injury and can only do so with pain, is creating tension in the body which reflects in the mind.
Remember the 70% rule, only do things to 70% of what is possible. Practice will move you forward, today's 70% would have been yesterday's 80% and last week's 90%.

One of the best practices is to just stand in the Qigong stance. See how far you can "relax", observe where there is unnecessary effort and see whether you can let go of it, but do not force anything. You will feel manifestations of Qi fairly quickly.
Yeah, standing can be a bit boring and it goes against our western idea that we should be able to do something about anything, including getting Qi to flow and feel it.

One does not have to be perfect but one should strive towards the most excellent execution possible at the time. This will be different for beginners and more advanced practitioners, it will even be different from day to day, and "relax" also applies here. There is no place to criticize oneself when today's practice feels out of sorts compared with yesterday's.
Old 08-09-2012, 09:08 PM
Gofa

Hi. Erle Montaigue

If you cant fine a teacher look at erle on you tube

Ive done tai 10 years and taught

Learn some qi gong too they complement each other

Smile Tai Chi. Like the Tao should be looked at through a smile

Rins percentages work. Just feel at home in the movements. And follow you heart. You might be remembering tai chi more than learning it
Old 13-09-2012, 09:33 PM
TzuJanLi

Greetings..

I am pleased to offer my website for reference http://threeharmonytaichi.com

I have been on this journey for more than twenty years, and every day, every movement, every practice, is a further exploration into the 'nature' of my own existence, and the 'nature' of my relationship with Life..

I have studied forms with 8 movements and forms with 365 movements.. i have an affinity for the 42 movement form, the 108 Yang form, Gim (double edged straight sword), and staff (long and short)..

Fortunately, i have not mastered any forms, as that might reduce the thrill of discovery that still seduces me to practice and learn and explore the bottomless well of Taiji awareness..

Be well..
Old 18-09-2012, 05:12 PM
Zen Knightly

Tai Chi DVD Master Jesse Tsao Free Instructional Video Lesson

www.taichihealthways.com/tai-chi-dvd.htm

I actually learned Tai Chi sword from Master Tsao. No matter how long I searched nobody was offering the course where I lived. lol!