Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Science & Spirituality

Old 11-10-2016, 06:16 PM
Burntfruit

Is our world a simulation? Why some scientists say it's more likely than not

When Elon Musk isn’t outlining plans to use his massive rocket to leave a decaying Planet Earth and colonize Mars, he sometimes talks about his belief that Earth isn’t even real and we probably live in a computer simulation.

“There’s a billion to one chance we’re living in base reality,” he said at a conference in June.

Musk is just one of the people in Silicon Valley to take a keen interest in the “simulation hypothesis”, which argues that what we experience as reality is actually a giant computer simulation created by a more sophisticated intelligence. If it sounds a lot like The Matrix, that’s because it is.

https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...usk-the-matrix

I think these scientists lack a spiritual perspective, what are you thoughts?
Old 13-10-2016, 02:58 PM
Guide

I think he was close to the truth. Many religions are talking about the illusional nature of reality. It may be just a dream of higher being (God) :)
Old 09-05-2017, 10:50 AM
Experiencer
I found this thread and I want to make it alive again, not that it was ever alive actually :) I found this stuff fascinating both from scientific and spiritual perspective and love to read about it. I don't have nothing to add right now, I'm just hoping someone will have...
Old 09-05-2017, 03:18 PM
Experiencer

It's somehow poetic that many of the arguments Musk puts forward are similar to those of religious people.

I did have a chuckle at how he explained the theory as a convenient way for scientists / atheists to believe in life after death. As though this fear is what might drive people to believe in the world being a simulation.. which is 'poetic' because some religious people believe in god because it's 'safer' than risking going to hell.

I think Jared's comment above is pretty accurate. This world is an illusion, just not in a physical-technical way.

But.. who knows. I'd be comfortable with this world being a simulation. I would put in a complaint about my life events in 'the game'... and I would then worry that I might technically be an NPC rather than an actual living participant

Then we'd have to ask if it's a pay-to-win simulation.. did some people pay more to be born into richer families..?
Old 09-05-2017, 04:58 PM
Master

I'd be interested in seeing some hard evidence of this. It does seem likely.

It reminds me of the quote from Hawking when he said if aliens found earth they would mosy likely use us as a resource. What if this universe is a simulation by aliens that are using us as a resource?
Old 09-05-2017, 05:35 PM
Experiencer
Isn't this the same like the theory of our universe any everything in it being a hologram? it is not even an old theory to say so. it is hard to imagine what this even means, but looking up how holograms work might be really fascinating. I know I was mesmerised by hologram technology. Well it is not the same like it being a computer simulation, but it could still be both.
Old 09-05-2017, 06:09 PM
Master
It's hard to say of course with our wee little pee brains, but I've seen some seriously strange things when viewing the Universe from a quark and string level. What light and energy do and how they interact to form the building blocks of matter is rather mind blowing.
I've seen enough and experienced enough through manifestation and creating my own reality to 'rule in' a Holographic Universe theory as viable. It wouldn't surprise me at all if our collective thoughts, beliefs, desires, fear and dreams make the reality we then perceive as a physical reality through the filter of our limited 5 senses.
Old 09-05-2017, 07:18 PM
Experiencer
Take a look at Nick Bostrom's simulation theory, it opened my eyes/mind.
Old 10-05-2017, 03:01 PM
Experiencer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seawolf
I'd be interested in seeing some hard evidence of this. It does seem likely.

It reminds me of the quote from Hawking when he said if aliens found earth they would mosy likely use us as a resource. What if this universe is a simulation by aliens that are using us as a resource?

Now that you mention him, few days ago I've read Hawking said humanity only has 100 years left on earth before doomsday.
Old 10-05-2017, 03:48 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilith
Now that you mention him, few days ago I've read Hawking said humanity only has 100 years left on earth before doomsday.
It'll end when our alien masters say it ends.