Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Lifestyle > Vegetarian & Vegan

Old 30-09-2014, 05:48 PM
Master

Save the Humans
Old 30-09-2014, 11:41 PM
Super Moderator
That is a thought-provoking article kris. Thanks.

By the way it mentions in the article that "meat is cheap."
Is it?? To eat meat once or twice a day is NOT cheap! Vegetarian sources of protein are much cheaper...even if reckoned in with that are monthly costs such as omega3 or any other supplements etc.
A neighbour of mine eats meat and for the price of his two steaks (two meals) I could have bought good quality protein for 4 days at least.
Old 01-10-2014, 09:20 AM
Master
The issue for many is about complete protein. Which mainly involves mixing more than one particular type of vegetable together.
Or, the allowance of Dairy or Fish into the diet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kris
Does anyone else reading this thread think spiritual development is about personal truth. I have read such an assertion made in many places but I confess I have never understood it. I would like to see some rational justification for the concept of personal truth and will change my views about it if called for. But for now, I have concluded that personal truth as an idea is intellectually hollow, philosophically shallow and spiritually bankrupt. Perhaps I am missing something about this concept.

Or, Objective Truth.
God is Truth.

"There is no place in this new kind of physics for both the field and matter, for the field is the only reality." - A. Einstein
Old 01-10-2014, 12:55 PM
Master

Some plant complete protein sources

http://www.ecorazzi.com/2012/10/01/8...-protein-myth/

[The student staple of baked beans and wholemeal bread provides a complete protein.]

http://holy-lance.blogspot.com
Old 01-10-2014, 11:01 PM
Super Moderator
Yes beans and wholemeal is one example of combining proteins to form a complete protein. There are others.

Baked beans and toast! I have always liked that! I make a wicked baked bean curry! lol
It's nice with brown rice (another protein/carbohydrate which when combined with another forms a complete protein)
Old 01-10-2014, 11:36 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by kris
Does anyone else reading this thread think spiritual development is about personal truth. I have read such an assertion made in many places but I confess I have never understood it. I would like to see some rational justification for the concept of personal truth and will change my views about it if called for. But for now, I have concluded that personal truth as an idea is intellectually hollow, philosophically shallow and spiritually bankrupt. Perhaps I am missing something about this concept.

Yes, I agree that a lot of ones spiritual development will be a reflection of their own personal truths. And as such, their development will always be changing as their personal truths will change in life.

One's spiritual development will not occur, or change, if they are forced to do it. They have to reach that destination upon their own.

To answer the original question what are the advantages of being a vegan, I think those are the answers that will be personal to you. If this is not something that you truly wish to do, chances are you may not find any benefit to its practice. If you find yourself in a place where you are unable to partake of eating animal meat, then you will find great benefits to not partaking in it..

To me, I find that your truths will help mold your development more than what you are consuming and not consuming. As long as you are honest with yourself. For some they can not eat meat for various reasons, I do not feel them to be any less of an individual, any less compassionate than someone who is a vegan. Life has many twists and turns to it, and is not cookie cutter for each person upon it's winding paths.
Old 03-10-2014, 08:32 PM
Experiencer
I went vegetarian some five years ago. My body began having serious troubles with the digestion and my joints also began to stiffen up. I was 49 then.
My digestion improved, but I did not lose any weight, which was another serious and increasing problem for me. I had tried various diets, but none were lasting.

So two years after I switched to vegetarian I went vegan: I skipped cheese from my diet and that was the last part of dairy from my diet. I already replaced cow milk by fortified soymilk to meet my calcium and B12 demands.
Man/woman/... that was such a surprise! Losing weight started to happen like with no effort at all. With the last bit of dairy out my body was finally able to tap into the fat reserves and it started to dump all excess fat. I didn't even need to exercise or slow down on eating. I lost about 15 kg that way. Over 30 pounds.

My decision to go vegetarian had it final clearance with a spiritual reason. I read that Masters of Light are all vegetarian. They do it out of compassion.
So my reason is very selfish, very contra to compassion, but then again I have also understood that human love also originated out of selfishness.

I now feel much lighter and much healthier then in the past. Meat has become a no-go area for me, although I do know how good a well prepared steak or a greasy meatball can taste. My health is too precious for me.
Also, my vegan diet is much cheaper. This does not mean I have money left at the end of the month. I spend it just as easy on other things. Whisky and rum are some of my favorite luxury spendings. Alcohol is absolutely vegan, you know. So is chocolate.....

Curiously enough my body does not seem to gain significant weight when consuming alcohol on a regular basis. That's bless. Anyways, dumping fat has become much easier then in the past.

I am so happy with my vegan diet.
Old 04-10-2014, 01:02 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by mogenblue
My decision to go vegetarian had it final clearance with a spiritual reason. I read that Masters of Light are all vegetarian. They do it out of compassion.
So my reason is very selfish, very contra to compassion, but then again I have also understood that human love also originated out of selfishness.

I am so happy with my vegan diet.
Wonderful post! It is about personal happiness ultimately, yes, I have that exact same happy relationship to my vegan diet. But I do recognize the compassion aspect as well, even if it is down my list of reasons to eat vegan. Nicely put.