Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Spiritual Development

Old 15-08-2019, 12:57 AM
Seeker

Can you care about your physical appearance while being spiritual?

Hi all! I have read contradicting things on the topic of: can you care about your physical appearance, change things about yourself, try and look better or your best, etc. while ascending, becoming more enlightened, and in general while being spiritual? Some people feel it is vain to care about looks or want to change things, in turn not aligning you to ascension or enlightenment. While others use law of attraction and their resources to look their best and sometimes change the way they look, to feel their best, and in a whole raising their vibration because of the way they feel they look. What do you think about this? Do you think changing the way you look, or wanting to change the way you look and then doing so is negative? Do you think you can’t be spiritual while changing your appearance or wanting to change, or at least focusing on looking good? Just curious as this is a fascinating subject to me, since a lot of people struggle with self confidence because of their appearance. Thanks in advance!
Old 15-08-2019, 01:09 AM
Master
Spiritual and physical go hand in hand one compliments the other love yourself with all your heart then you'll see the beauty and perfection within. Nothing wrong with loving your appearance. Amen
Old 15-08-2019, 01:40 AM
Guide

Totally agreed with utopiandreamchild! However, that's not exactly where my path took me.

When I started this journey about four years ago, my position was eliminated in my glamourous career as an executive in the cosmetics industry. I went from looking impeccably polished everyday to wearing no makeup, stretch pants and a tee shirt, and developed a horrific allergy to hair dye. Its as if I was forced to take it down a few notches and not pay so much attention to the physical in order to do some clearing out on the emotional and mental levels. After some time exploring my spiritual side my head got stuck in the clouds and I suffered physically with all sorts of mystery ailments.

It has only been for the past five months that I started seriously paying attention to the physical side again. As a result, the abilities I had uncovered and been developing seemed to have come to a halt. I feel like I am supposed to focus on just the physical right now as it pertains to health because I became seriously ungrounded. I'm having trouble balancing both and finding a happy medium to be honest, but I am getting there. I'm finding this focus on the physical is putting focus back on my appearance, but in a way that suits the inner transformation I've gone through. The rest is unnecessary if you shine bright from within :)
Old 15-08-2019, 02:17 AM
Master
Well, being spiritual includes things like not getting too attached to things, and being on one's best behaviour. If looking after our appearance helps us improve our relationships with others, then certainly it's important. If we become obsessed with our physical appearance, or what others say it has to be, then maybe that's something to work on, whether the issue is vanity or some mental disorder going on there. Advertising and internet have really stressed people out about physical appearance - and advertising is created to make us feel miserable so we will buy their products. It makes for a lot of judgmental nonsense that, at the end of the day, is going to change with time anyway. The body is really a suit of clothes that will drop away one day. Certainly I'm going to look after it as best I can, but it is not "me", not who I am.
Old 15-08-2019, 03:05 AM
Master

It all depends of what YOU think about it. Your thoughts generate thought-forms that materialize in likewise situations.

From spiritual evolvement point of view, your physical appearance matters only as much as it causes directly and indirectly thoughts and emotions in you.

If you think you have a physical shortcoming or imperfection, and you can better it, then doing that might lift up your sense of well-being, and generates positive emotions, thoughts, and thought-forms. But, if that situation creates emotions like shame, anger, hubris, and such, then their thought-forms will materialize in such likewise situations for you.

We have to learn to master our emotions, most importantly: fear.
Everything expressed here is what I believe. Keep that in mind when you read my post, as I kept it in mind when I wrote it. I don't parrot others. Most of my spiritual beliefs come from direct channeling guidance. I have no interest in arguing whose belief is right, and whose is wrong. I'm here just to express my opinions, and read about others'.
Old 15-08-2019, 08:19 PM
Master

So at one extreme there is the person who completely neglects the physical body (except perhaps for the essential needs) and at the other extreme there is the person who is obsessed with their physical appearance. As always, we need to find a balance.

We probably all have lessons to learn around self-judgement, particularly physical appearance, e.g. too tall, too short, too fat, too thin, nose too big, hair not good, etc etc. Eventually we learn to be comfortable with the physical body we have. Some things we can change and we may do so, other things we cannot change, and that is OK. And yes, others will react to our physical appearance so how important are such reactions to us?

We have a physical body for maybe 80 years and then it is gone. We can care for our physical body without being too attached to it. We can respect the physical body as our vehicle of expression on the physical plane without identifying with it - we know that the body is not what we are. But as we get older then the physical body reflects the lifestyles we have chosen and the choices we have made. The more that we care for it then the fewer physical problems we have to deal with.

Peace
Old 16-08-2019, 01:31 PM
Master
My advice is don't leave off showering or deodorant, unless you live in a cave by yourself And staying healthy and strong (to whatever degree you can) is central.

Seriously though, this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImthatIm
as we get older then the physical body reflects the lifestyles we have chosen and the choices we have made. The more that we care for it then the fewer physical problems we have to deal with.

And also, keep it simple silly. The less time spent worrying about appearances, the more time spent on being present in your life and doing the things you want to do.

Last, radiance is beauty. When we are right aligned from centre, everyone is beautiful, men and women, young and old.

Peace & blessings
7L

Here we must be unafraid of what is difficult.

For all living beings in nature must unfold in their particular way

and become themselves despite all opposition.

-- Rainer Maria Rilke
Old 16-08-2019, 06:43 PM
ketzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven47
Hi all! I have read contradicting things on the topic of: can you care about your physical appearance, change things about yourself, try and look better or your best, etc. while ascending, becoming more enlightened, and in general while being spiritual? Some people feel it is vain to care about looks or want to change things, in turn not aligning you to ascension or enlightenment. While others use law of attraction and their resources to look their best and sometimes change the way they look, to feel their best, and in a whole raising their vibration because of the way they feel they look. What do you think about this? Do you think changing the way you look, or wanting to change the way you look and then doing so is negative? Do you think you can’t be spiritual while changing your appearance or wanting to change, or at least focusing on looking good? Just curious as this is a fascinating subject to me, since a lot of people struggle with self confidence because of their appearance. Thanks in advance!

No, all truly enlightened beings are hairy, smelly, and dressed in rags. Which is why we don't invite them to dinner but instead give them some rice in their begging bowls and let them eat it back in the forest.

People don't struggle with confidence because of their appearance. People's appearance (both in the mirror and out) suffers because of a lack of self confidence, self esteem, self love.
Old 18-08-2019, 12:33 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven47

Hello,

Being happy with yourself is a major component for spiritual well being. A big part of that is liking your appearance.

For a truly happy joyful person is very attractive. That is the energy of a spiritual person.

John

http://www.telepathyacademy.net/
Old 19-08-2019, 09:48 PM
Seeker

Thanks all for your responses!��