Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Meditation

Old 07-03-2018, 02:13 PM
Pathfinder

Can we meditate while engaged in work

I wonder if we can meditate while working, or doing other kind of things, If it is possible, or has any one been able to do so, Please let us know about it. Thanks.
Old 07-03-2018, 04:09 PM
Experiencer
IMO, if you're aware what the mind is doing at all times - observing it - watching it - then you're pretty much meditating then, anyway. Whenever I'm out walking I'm the same as I am sat down; mindful of each thought that comes and goes, in a non-judgmental way :)
Old 07-03-2018, 09:23 PM
Experiencer
Reaching a true meditative state while engaged in work is a tough endeavor if your attempting a deep state while active, I'm sure its possible for some.

Practicing mindfulness while doing all things is much more achievable and can significantly change your experience. There are many techniques but one that works for me is to allow awareness to drop in, realize how pliable things are both within and without. Once you're able to do this, try to walk while in the state. Then Type, talk, and keep going to see what is possible.
“Once you realize that the road is the goal and that you are always on the road, not to reach a goal, but to enjoy its beauty and its wisdom, life ceases to be a task and becomes natural and simple, in itself an ecstasy.”
― Nisargadatta Maharaj
Old 07-03-2018, 10:28 PM
Pathfinder
Quote:
Originally Posted by aloks5
I wonder if we can meditate while working, or doing other kind of things, If it is possible, or has any one been able to do so, Please let us know about it. Thanks.

From my own experience I would say "yes" and "no" but rather "no".
Of course it depends on what kind of activity you are doing, and what you mean by "meditation".

If you do something relatively simple and mainly physical - sweeping the footpath for example - then it's easier to be present to a bigger extent ... to do it as meditation in this sense.
But if the activity you are doing is stressful and requires lot of thinking and decision making then I think for an ordinary person it is very difficult to do it meditatively.
And if we talk about meditation as being a witness or a watcher then I think it's not really possible to do this and at the same time to do lot of purposeful thinking. In my opinion these two things are kind of opposites. Although maybe Buddhas can do both at the same time.

And regarding these simple and mainly physical activities - from my personal experience I can say that although I had read the zen advice "when washing dishes then just wash dishes" or "when chopping tomatoes then just chop tomatoes" long long time ago, and I had tried to do it too sometimes ... but only after I started doing regular daily sitting meditation and after I had spent hours and hours sitting and either witnessing or emptying my mind ... only after that I realised what it actually means - in experience - to be fully present when washing dishes or chopping tomatoes.

When I run I can do it in a meditative state of mind ... dancing the same ... must be the same with painting for some people ... but then when I'm in this state then I find it sometimes very difficult to talk if someone wants to talk to me ... as I've switched my rational mind off ... and I'm also not able to do much purposeful thinking when in this state - thoughts (sometimes very good ones) just come and go randomly. If I start following my thoughts then I can't be present in the moment any more, and it's not a meditation any more.

Hope this helps a bit :)
Old 08-03-2018, 12:40 AM
Experiencer
Driving for me is that place that the natural flow state takes over.
“Once you realize that the road is the goal and that you are always on the road, not to reach a goal, but to enjoy its beauty and its wisdom, life ceases to be a task and becomes natural and simple, in itself an ecstasy.”
― Nisargadatta Maharaj
Old 08-03-2018, 03:28 AM
Master
This is something you can try and experience for yourself rather than have me tell you whether it is possible or not. Have you tried yet? And what were the results?
Old 08-03-2018, 04:43 AM
Guide

A fully deep meditative state, no. A calm relaxed open-minded state absolutely. Depends on the job of course. I do routine accounting type things, so often my mind is wandering while I work. I have found that it is completely possible to carry on a conversation with guides/higher self while working. Does tend to get interrupted at times though, but that's the only drawback.
Old 08-03-2018, 05:19 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by OEN34
IMO, if you're aware what the mind is doing at all times - observing it - watching it - then you're pretty much meditating then, anyway. Whenever I'm out walking I'm the same as I am sat down; mindful of each thought that comes and goes, in a non-judgmental way :)
Meditation is about 'being' not about observing.

Observing is often taught in meditation classes because it leads to detachment which is very helpful towards being instead of doing. It is also helpful in reducing distracting mind chatter. Warning, detachment without presence leads to not bothering with meditation.

In a more general sense, it IS possible to meditate during any activity.

In the 'west' most mediation training is of the sitting variety. More physically active mediation is taught in many other parts of the world. Two of the more common ones are walking and trance dancing.
Old 09-03-2018, 03:20 PM
Pathfinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean breeze
This is something you can try and experience for yourself rather than have me tell you whether it is possible or not. Have you tried yet? And what were the results?

I have particular time for meditation, means i have not tried yet, I think you need to lift yourself higher to be able to meditate in all situation.
Old 12-03-2018, 01:06 AM
Super Moderator
Well yes, maybe you can.
In my own view, meditation is a state of Being and of mind focus. I often meditate while on walks. And often I am given deep insights while engaged in simple tasks like splitting logs or cleaning the floor.That is a different form to a trance kind of meditation. But equally valid.