Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Judaism

Old 01-11-2011, 03:40 PM
Master
In short form, I think the philosophy and words of Hillel say it best for me.

Looking to Pirkei Avot (Ethics of the Fathers), Hillel's section opens with his reference to Aaron the High Priest as the model for all Jews to follow.

Hillel says we should be like followers of Aaron in his love of peace, in his love of man, and in his leading mankind to a knowledge of the Law -- which itself means, the Way (Pirkei Avoth 1:12).

Oral tradition attributes these virtues to Moses' brother Aaron, but Hillel is also reaffirming virtues that he himself embodied. Hillel considered "love of man" to be the heart of Jewish teaching, or you could say, to be woven into the tapestry of the Way.

Having said that, I personally believe that until we can embody that love and respect for one another regardless of level of observance etc, and overcome internal divisions...then we have fallen short of fulfilling our purpose as Jews and as humans. Without embodying this core principle toward one another, there is a foundational gap for which no level of observance can compensate. That is the challenge of truly following the Way in love and in discipline, in compassion and in awe. Under this paradigm, an open heart requires an open mind, and vice versa.

We have to get beyond judgment of level of observance as a litmus test of worth. There are many ways to strive for spiritual growth and commitment and they may not all have to do with level of observance or any particular interpretation of what that means. Not everyone comes from the same place and not everyone has the same opportunities and gifts.

For me, as the chasids would say, it's about the kavanah we bring to the moment. We are only human but there is still have work to do. Striving to know God is beautiful, whatever your sincerely chosen path. But we must all release the expectation that simply because we are on a particular path, that we have the right to judge others who may be on a different path (i.e. less orthodox or whatever the difference may be, etc).

peace & blessings,
7L

------------------------------------------------------
Sayings of Hillel....

"Be amongst the students of Aaron: Love peace and pursue peace. Love people and bring them close to Torah."
(Pirkei Avot 1:12 (Foundations...or, Ethics, of the Fathers) )

"If I am not for myself, who will be for me? And when I am [only] for myself, [then] what am 'I'? And if not now, when?"
(Pirkei Avot 1:14)

The expression of the ethic of reciprocity, or "Golden Rule":
"That which is hateful to you, do not do to your fellow. That is the whole Torah; the rest is the explanation; go and learn."
(Babylonian Talmud, tractate Shabbat 31a)

"[As Hillel the Elder had stated]
whosoever destroys a soul, it is considered as if he destroyed an entire world.
And whosoever that saves a life, it is considered as if he saved an entire world."
(Jerusalem Talmud Sanhedrin 4:1 (22a) )
Old 06-11-2011, 04:28 AM
Pathfinder

To Love God, Yourself, and your neighbor. Live by the Golden Rule, and to accept and appreciate your blessings. Ultimately these are the things which make us truly happy. So IMO, the ultimate aim of Judaism is the same aim as every other genuine effort toward spiritualty...shalom!!
Old 07-11-2011, 03:30 AM
Timbrel

The ultimate aim of Judaism is for every Jew to be a light unto the world. It's not complicated, it's simple. We live our whole lives as a process of becoming a light in our own way, in everything we do, everyday. It's not about what comes next, it's about now. Our job as human beings is to infuse holiness into the mundane world. That's it. Ask a Jew how she has infused holiness into the world on any particular day, and she will know. She might answer, "Oh, I really didn't do any of that today..." but she will know. That's what sets Jews apart, we just know our obligation, regardless of how we might feel about it or what we do or don't do about it.
Old 07-11-2011, 07:01 PM
Experiencer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbrel
The ultimate aim of Judaism is for every Jew to be a light unto the world. It's not complicated, it's simple. We live our whole lives as a process of becoming a light in our own way, in everything we do, everyday. It's not about what comes next, it's about now. Our job as human beings is to infuse holiness into the mundane world. That's it. Ask a Jew how she has infused holiness into the world on any particular day, and she will know. She might answer, "Oh, I really didn't do any of that today..." but she will know. That's what sets Jews apart, we just know our obligation, regardless of how we might feel about it or what we do or don't do about it.

Welcome to the forum.

נעים מאוד

B'shalom,

Peter
Old 21-03-2012, 04:24 AM
sbjazzman

A Kabbalist would tell you that the aim is to restore the wholeness that existed before the "Breaking of the Vessels" which occurred when we could not contain the light we were originally one with prior to becoming seemingly separate from it. Search on Kabbalah, Luria, Tzimtzum to get more info on this as well as Tikkun Olam.