Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > General Beliefs

Old 30-09-2019, 01:09 AM
Seeker
Cognitive distortion and restructuring.

Have you ever thought about your thoughts? I mean, have you actually ever paid attention to the thoughts inside your head? If you have, then have you ever questioned how you are thinking about things, and whether or not these thoughts are actually helping or hindering you? Possibly how you’re seeing and interpreting your world isn’t very accurate at all. Just maybe your perspective of the world is somewhat flawed and this is preventing you from moving forward in an optimal way. These flaws in our thinking are known as cognitive distortions or thinking errors.

https://iqdoodle.com/cognitive-distortions/
Old 30-09-2019, 01:23 AM
Master

Perhaps it is not "thinking errors", but rather the error of thinking that is the "flawed perspective".
Just a thought....

~ J
Old 30-09-2019, 02:16 AM
Seeker
[quote=Jyotir][indent][color="Navy"]Perhaps it is not "thinking errors", but rather the error of thinking that is the "flawed perspective".
Just a thought....

A thinking error and an error of thinking are the same thing, are they not? Cognitive error is not simply a different perspective. You can think 2 + 3 = 6 as well as 3 + 2 = 6 but you would be equally wrong.
Old 30-09-2019, 02:27 AM
Master
Mental construction is often fueled by emotional feelings, they often do not function in isolation. Personally I keep my head quiet most of the time and function on sensing and intuition. Having done quiet meditation for more than 40-years I have learned how to instantly turn my thoughts off, as I am doing right now as I type this. Being retired I am not called upon to do much thinking. Thinking is and excellent tool, and there are people with thought disorders, but with a degree of self-mastery we do not have to be slaves to our thoughts or our emotions.
Old 30-09-2019, 02:48 AM
Seeker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starman
Mental construction is often fueled by emotional feelings, they often do not function in isolation. Personally I keep my head quiet most of the time and function on sensing and intuition. Having done quiet meditation for more than 40-years I have learned how to instantly turn my thoughts off, as I am doing right now as I type this. Being retired I am not called upon to do much thinking. Thinking is and excellent tool, and there are people with thought disorders, but with a degree of self-mastery we do not have to be slaves to our thoughts or our emotions.

I agree that meditation is a powerful tool and can/is very useful for persons with thought disorders. But meditation alone will not clear cognitive distortion. The person would need intensive therapy and perhaps medication to assist.
Old 30-09-2019, 08:09 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by SheShatters
I agree that meditation is a powerful tool and can/is very useful for persons with thought disorders. But meditation alone will not clear cognitive distortion. The person would need intensive therapy and perhaps medication to assist.

On the contrary, meditation if practiced diligently over time can bring mental clarity; this is my experience and the experience of many whom I have known. I worked in the mental health field for many years and also was a university psychology professor. My approach to psychology is very eclectic. I have used many different techniques, and no one technique works for everyone.

That is why there are so many different psychological schools of thought. Cognitive distortion is not even valid to many strict behaviorist. If you look at psychology that is germane to other nations and their indigenous populations they do not use words like "cognitive." That is primarily and intellectual Neo-Freudian designation. Psychoanalytic thought has dominated western society since the 19th century but now Chinese medicine, ayurvedic medicine, etc., are finding their way into mainstream American medicine, and they bring with them different mind/body approaches.

This is a "spiritual" forum and I don't know if you are aware of Esoteric Psychology, Buddhist Psychology, or non-cognitive approaches to psychology? The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) is now teaching meditation to veterans diagnosed with PTSD and it has been very effective. They are waning these veterans off of medication, especially opioids, by teaching them meditation. Every one is entitled to their own opinion and I am just sharing mine, which differs from yours. Nothing more. Peace
Old 30-09-2019, 09:53 AM
Master
The link below goes to and outline on Esoteric Psychology with
Humanistic/Transpersonal Psychology Roots. I found it
interesting. It has more of a spiritual approach but it does refer
to some psychoanalytic (DSM) diagnostic terms.

http://spiritualstudiesinstitute.org...Psychology.pdf
Old 30-09-2019, 11:56 AM
Seeker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starman
On the contrary, meditation if practiced diligently over time can bring mental clarity; this is my experience and the experience of many whom I have known. I worked in the mental health field for many years and also was a university psychology professor. My approach to psychology is very eclectic. I have used many different techniques, and no one technique works for everyone.

That is why there are so many different psychological schools of thought. Cognitive distortion is not even valid to many strict behaviorist. If you look at psychology that is germane to other nations and their indigenous populations they do not use words like "cognitive." That is primarily and intellectual Neo-Freudian designation. Psychoanalytic thought has dominated western society since the 19th century but now Chinese medicine, ayurvedic medicine, etc., are finding their way into mainstream American medicine, and they bring with them different mind/body approaches.

This is a "spiritual" forum and I don't know if you are aware of Esoteric Psychology, Buddhist Psychology, or non-cognitive approaches to psychology? The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) is now teaching meditation to veterans diagnosed with PTSD and it has been very effective. They are waning these veterans off of medication, especially opioids, by teaching them meditation. Every one is entitled to their own opinion and I am just sharing mine, which differs from yours. Nothing more. Peace

I agreed with you and brought up another point, I wasn't being negative or rude. I apologize if my writing style imparts a contrary overtone. PTSD is definitely aided by meditation, and I agree that it is wonderful that patients can be weaned from sting drug use with continued therapy and use of meditation and other aids. This is kind of my point. The medications to stabilize came first and the self controlled mechanism came second. There are some patients that can be taken from all anxiety medications with continuous therapy and some that can't. unfortunately. But the therapy and monitoring of self treatment is necessary for their continued recovery, wouldn't you agree? This will help keep them from the pitfalls of negative periods that occur for everyone and may be difficult for them specifically to handle.
Old 12-10-2019, 08:19 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by SheShatters
I agreed with you and brought up another point, I wasn't being negative or rude. I apologize if my writing style imparts a contrary overtone. PTSD is definitely aided by meditation, and I agree that it is wonderful that patients can be weaned from sting drug use with continued therapy and use of meditation and other aids. This is kind of my point. The medications to stabilize came first and the self controlled mechanism came second. There are some patients that can be taken from all anxiety medications with continuous therapy and some that can't. unfortunately. But the therapy and monitoring of self treatment is necessary for their continued recovery, wouldn't you agree? This will help keep them from the pitfalls of negative periods that occur for everyone and may be difficult for them specifically to handle.

My heartfelt sincere apology to you. I misread what you wrote and projected my misunderstanding.
I still have a lot of work to do on myself. Thank you for sharing here and offering me some clarity,
and opportunity to look at myself; hopefully not at your expense. Peace.
Old 03-12-2019, 04:41 AM
Master
I would LOVE to know/learn how to change my thinking... seriously!

I have tried CBT, DBT, NLP, EFT...all the associated acronyms designed to help/hasten this process and has any of them ever worked? nope. Did I expect that any of them would work? nope.

Some of us are, indeed a "lost cause" and no matter how much we may want something, we just don't have the natural aptitude (or attitude) to obtain it and this is also something which is totally beyond any conscious control or application of effort...it arises solely from the Subconscious mind...

So, I tried hypnotherapy, applied kinesiology, meditation, mindfulness, even antipsychotic medication and I am still the paranoid, pessimistic grouch that I always was...having absolutely no faith in the future of mankind whatsoever...having the need to be in full control over every single aspect of my life because I hate change (especially when it isn't for the better) and believing the government/utility companies/universe is plotting against me personally.

I just haven't learned to see the "good" in "bad things" and I would love to learn the secret..the secret about how total misery is supposed to make Spiritual people happy...or are they just masochists?

For the past 4 years, I have had the amount of $50 per fortnight deducted from my bank account to pay for my electricity usage and I have had no problems...until now.

Last bill, I was in credit for $200, but I also received a letter with my bill of credit saying that I would need to increase the deduction from $50 per fortnight to $60 per fortnight because the rates and charges had increased since I started the direct debit deduction scheme...I mean, nowhere did it say "you will need to use less energy if you wish for your deductions to remain at $50 a fortnight".

Now, because I was already $200 in credit, I ignored it, honestly believing that whatever discrepancy was involved, would be deducted from that amount until my balance reached zero and THEN I would be forced to do something about it...how wrong I was.

Today I received a call stating that my account was $200 overdue...they cancelled the direct debit arrangement 2 months ago without informing me because I "breached the contract"...however, the arrangement was made for $50 and not $60... however, somewhere within the legalese "fine print"... it was okay for them to charge whatever they like...it is also the reason WHY I will NEVER buy anything from anybody advertising a product or service which NEEDS to include a 30 second disclaimer at the end of the advertisement featuring a man speaking very fast so as not to be understood...or anything including the words "terms and conditions apply" or "to approved customers only".

So, how it stands now, is that although my direct debit has been cancelled 2 months ago, $50 per fortnight is STILL going out of my bank account and where it has gone for 2 months..stuffed if I know...stuffed if the electricity company knows (it doesn't show up as a payment on my bill)...or the bank knows (it wasn't returned to them and held in a suspense account)...$200 has mysteriously gone into a financial "black hole"...suffice to say, I have just closed that bank account and I am in the middle of changing my bank and my energy service provider and all of the rigmerole and red tape all of that requires... meanwhile, I have received three harassing phone calls from my energy provider since this morning asking me WHEN I will be able to pay the outstanding amount of $200, even though that bill was just sent out only ONE week ago!..this means, I will have to change my mobile phone number as WELL!

It is a pity you need to give out all of your most private and personal details to qualify for essential services and now I understand what the whole "mark of the beast' thing relates to..the alternative, of course, is to live off-grid (which is illegal in this country...of COURSE).

Meanwhile, I am given the label of being a "scizophrenic" because I am fully aware of all the scams and tricks that companies use to rob people blind and I would LOVE to be able to change my thinking so I don't even question the motives of those who control the way I live..like everybody ELSE does!... also dear people, I don't WANT to be Spiritual, but I wasn't given any say/choice in that regard either....I was dragged kicking and screaming into Ascension...so, how do all of the other "Spiritual people" deal with such unholy, satanic things..all the while realising that you need Satan to eat, have electricity and water...to survive in this world?

Looking forward to having some answers... finally.