Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Healing

Old 13-05-2017, 02:03 AM
Pathfinder
The solitary life

BENEFITS OF THE SOLITARY LIFE
After retiring from the Navy I found myself in spiritual turmoil after both the Korean and Viet Nam wars. I decided to get off by myself to get back in shape so I bought 40 acres of ridge in Oklahoma. Rocky and steep with almost no topsoil it was land few people would want.
I built a small cabin with no telephone, electricity or running water, There were also no nearby neighbors to talk to. I had only my own thoughts except for the few trips to town for my simple needs.
A few weeks later I noticed a change taking place in my thinking. It became more intuitive and less reasoning. After a few months of solitude words began forming in my brain which ultimately led to writing a book that a publisher printed. It was not a success financially but that wasn't what I wrote it for. I felt it was important that the information be recorded for those who would hear. I say I wrote the book and my name is on the cover but actually it wrote itself. I only had to put the words on paper.
I lived there for a bit over five years of spiritual healing that could not have taken place were there others around.
When you are surrounded by people your thoughts begin to conform with theirs. If you stray too far from them they are quick to tell you how "wrong" you are. Living the solitary life the thoughts come from within rather than without. You are free to follow your own path and it sometimes leads you to strange places.
Family duty forced me back into society but my thoughts are still "other" and I am aware that most people find me strange and hard to talk to. My thought patterns have never completely returned to what they were before my five years as a solitary.
I gained a great deal in those five years of solitude.
Old 13-05-2017, 03:19 PM
Experiencer

Thanks for sharing. There's a lot to be said about 'sitting in the silence' and using your inner guidance to find answers.

I know how beneficial living in solitude can be... and truth be told, I miss it. Most people don't truly recognise the personal progress that can be made during these times.. or don't see how it could be possible.

However, it is also good to see that you're honoring your family commitments and helping others back in society.
Old 13-05-2017, 03:47 PM
Master
your story was inspirational hoodat.
Old 13-05-2017, 04:07 PM
Master
That was a genius idea, hoodat, to buy the acreage to play around on and help get your psyche back on track - or close to it. I grew up on 10 acres and it was a very important thing in my life to keep my sanity. Everyone should have about 10 acres to explore during their childhood years. It's been a long time ago, but I still yearn for that space to roam just a little bit. I would definitely do something like you did IF I had the talent to build my own shelter etc. Although it's almost unimaginable now to have no electricity!

Does your book talk mainly about your experiences on this 40 acres in Oklahoma? How can people get a copy of your book if it's still available?

Old 13-05-2017, 04:59 PM
Pathfinder
Anyone who is interested can find the book on Amazon and many other websites. The original publisher was a small press and went bankrupt soon after publishing my book (not my fault I swear ;) They left a warehouse full of books that was claimed by creditors so I never got any royalties. It's heartening to know that the information is still being disseminated. I used to pen name Billy Whiskers, which is an old nickname my friends use because I didn't feel that I wrote the book. It was just given to me to disseminate.
I do however have enough vanity to feel gratified seeing the price creep up as the supply dwindles. It is still cheap enough for anyone to afford.
https://www.amazon.com/Spirit-Wisdom.../dp/0935127100
Old 14-05-2017, 03:52 AM
Experiencer

In case you weren't aware, here's a comment from one of the people that's read your book:
"Anyway, I was very disappointed that I couldn't find any more books by this author. I'd buy every one of them. In this book, Billy stated that there were other stories that Storyteller had shared with him about his people, and I would love to read them. Where are you (the human) Billy Whiskers ?"
Old 14-05-2017, 04:50 AM
Pathfinder
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnate
In case you weren't aware, here's a comment from one of the people that's read your book:
"Anyway, I was very disappointed that I couldn't find any more books by this author. I'd buy every one of them. In this book, Billy stated that there were other stories that Storyteller had shared with him about his people, and I would love to read them. Where are you (the human) Billy Whiskers ?"
My first book depended on Storyteller the one who kept the history and genealogy of the tribe in his head since they used no written language. The Nanina were a remnant of the pre Indian culture most of whom had left North America hundreds of years ago. The bond was as strange to him as it was to me. Without his help I'm not sure there is another book in me.
An interesting aside is that I have met several people who I am pretty sure were reincarnated Nanina; two in particular. The man was called both Smokes His Skin and Long Walker. His wife was Good Mother and had a genetic problem that made it impossible to develop muscle tone. She was particularly good with children and acted as their teacher, probably because her condition made it impossible to have children of her own.
They were married again in this time and place. Oddly they had traded traits. He now had genetic defects that kept his blood from clotting and made him functionally blind although he could tell dark from light and see in a very blurred fashion. He has since died.She is still alive but in very poor health. She looks forward to being with him again soon. Both became very clpse friends of mine.
Old 15-05-2017, 05:44 PM
Pathfinder
We sort of got sidetracked here. To get back to the OT I noticed another effect of the solitary life. Due to the changes in my thought patterns wild animals became less wary of me. Coyotes would allow themselves to be seen. In brushy country if you see a coyote it is almost surely because they allow it. I would often hear them pacing me off to the side as I walked about and when I came to an open spot there would often be a coyote sitting there with a humorous "Gotcha" sort of expression. My cabin door was always open except in cold weather and possums, raccoons and skunks would often drop in showing no fear of me. One skunk in particular came by nightly for a chocolate cookie which she would eat out of my hand, Nothing but chocolate chip would do. She acted offended if I offered her any other kind.
In our humanized world we often forget that we are also animals and if they perceive no threat they will act normally around us. Many of them would like to be closer to us if we would stop perceiving them as a threat.
Old 15-05-2017, 10:44 PM
Suspended
Guide
Hello,
As I was reading your post/s I suddenly realised that living amongst the populace,in the middle of a major city/capital that has a mix of good,bad,garbage and the indifferent, all the noise and pollution,the rich and poor,and the forgotten,then and only then, can you go forward,ever onwards!
You proceed a lot quicker, and more well balanced on the path to God, than living as a semi hermit,a nomad without any obstacles to overcome except food and shelter.
Just an opinion not a criticism, a personal viewpoint!

Kind Regards Billy.
Old 16-05-2017, 02:20 AM
Pathfinder
There is no one true path. We each have to find our own individual way. For myself that way is solitude. when I am surrounded by too many others there are so many voices I cannot hear my own.