Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Spirituality

Old 25-05-2014, 01:22 PM
LadyTerra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baile
That's not a wrong statement, that's their belief. Whereas "The sun rises in the west" is a wrong statement. It's really quite easy as I see it. One can:

1. State their opinion.
2. Tell someone they're wrong.
3. Accuse someone of being ignorant.

If people simply stuck to the first option, there would be no need for moderators on these internet forums.

We are in complete agreement on this point. I (likewise) think we should try to avoid the all too human tendency to use blanket statements.

I know I have been swept away (from time to time) by heated conversations--regarding differences of opinion--this is why I try to proof-read my posts more than once.
Old 25-05-2014, 01:24 PM
Suspended
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyTerra
We are in complete agreement on this point. I (likewise) think we should try to avoid the all too human tendency to use blanket statements.
Always?
Old 25-05-2014, 01:32 PM
Lorelyen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baile
That's not a wrong statement, that's their belief. Whereas "The sun rises in the west" is a wrong statement. It's really quite easy as I see it. One can:

1. State their opinion.
2. Tell someone they're wrong.
3. Accuse someone of being ignorant.

If people simply stuck to the first option, there would be no need for moderators on these internet forums.

ETA: Looking at the post you refer to...where did I say it was a "wrong statement"? I think you got a bit mixed up, reading something that isn't there!

I'm surprised at you.... comparing an established fact (in that we commonly recognise terms of "east" and "west") and the sun rising and setting occurs regardless of the observer, with a hypothesis that doesn't work for the reason I stated. The comment I quoted is not a fact but was presented as if it should be one.

If we stuck to your first option, there'd be no discussion....and therefore, no need for a forum.
Old 25-05-2014, 01:32 PM
LadyTerra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Touched
Always?

I liken it to stereo-typing. I have (personally) found myself in heated discussion and fallen into the trap of using blanket statements.

One of the main reasons that I enjoy message boards--so much--is that they afford me an opportunity to review what I am trying to say--before posting.

We are only human--everybody makes mistakes. However--I have noticed that occasionally I cross paths with some who believe themselves to be infallible. LOL

Must be nice to be perfect--but I seriously doubt that I ever will be.
Old 25-05-2014, 01:51 PM
Suspended
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorelyen
Can't agree. It's a belief but it comes across as a statement of fact. "Always". Sorry my friend, I can't help how the syntax and semantics of language work.
I've found the crux of the issue to be just what the definition of 'is' is...

Quote:
If we stuck to your first option, there'd be no discussion....and therefore, no need for a forum.
That's a good point.
Old 25-05-2014, 01:55 PM
Newbie ;)
Master
Book1 Sun Sight and Sun Clipse

Quote:
.."comparing an established fact (in that we commonly recognise terms of "east" and "west") and the sun rising and setting occurs regardless of the observer, with a hypothesis that doesn't work for the reason I stated.

Sure we know what is meant, however, that is a relative truth.

The sun does not rise or set. The sun is becoming visible-- sun sight -- in the east because Earth is spinning and the horizon is declination(?) falling(?) setting(?).

The sun becomes clipsed in the evening by the Earth spinning ergo rising(?) inclination(?) horizon.

Many if not most of our truths used in every day language are relative truths.

Blanket = generalization = steroetype = least refined(?).

Old age Spirit = ?-- vitality -- maybe to have a visualization or expression of our spirit

New age spirit = Spirit-3( gravitational essence ), Spirit-2( physical/energy as fermions and bosons ), Spirit-1( metaphysical spirit-of-intent ). imho

r6

"My education has been of my biggest impediments to my learning"...A. Einstein

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool."...R Feynman
Old 25-05-2014, 01:58 PM
Lorelyen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Touched
Quote:
Can't agree. It's a belief but it comes across as a statement of fact. "Always". Sorry my friend, I can't help how the syntax and semantics of language work.

I've found the crux of the issue to be just what the definition of 'is' is...

Apologies, I edited my post. I couldn't recall any reference to a wrong statement and indeed I had made no such claim. But your quoting me still holds good.

I wish the sun would rise in the west tomorrow as it always used to.

Old 25-05-2014, 02:03 PM
Suspended
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyTerra
I liken it to stereo-typing. I have (personally) found myself in heated discussion and fallen into the trap of using blanket statements.

One of the main reasons that I enjoy message boards--so much--is that they afford me an opportunity to review what I am trying to say--before posting.

We are only human--everybody makes mistakes. However--I have noticed that occasionally I cross paths with some who believe themselves to be infallible. LOL

Must be nice to be perfect--but I seriously doubt that I ever will be.
Yes, I think some people take great comfort in their infallibility. Must be nice.
Old 25-05-2014, 02:04 PM
Suspended
Quote:
Apologies, I edited my post. I couldn't recall any reference to a wrong statement and indeed I had made no such claim. But your quoting me still holds good.

I wish the sun would rise in the west tomorrow as it always used to.

LOL
Old 25-05-2014, 02:06 PM
Master
Quote:
I'm surprised at you.... comparing an established fact (in that we commonly recognise terms of "east" and "west") and the sun rising and setting occurs regardless of the observer, with a hypothesis that doesn't work for the reason I stated. The comment I quoted is not a fact but was presented as if it should be one.
The comment you quoted (anger being fear-based) was stated as fact by the individual who stated it. To them it's fact. To you it isn't. You can tell them they're wrong, sure. But it doesn't mean they're wrong. And in truth, the idea that all anger is fear-based, is quite probably more true that not.

On the other hand, the sun rising in the west cannot be argued as fact by anyone. It's just wrong. That's the difference.