Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Meditation

Old 04-08-2019, 08:12 PM
Knower
How to discard the past and live in the present.

i am free these days. i am almost done with my graduation. it will be a few months before i begin something new like a job or further studies. So these days i am on a break. Now that i have nothing to do, my mind often goes wandering into past. i think about people i used to know, my old city, my relatives, living and deceased, my friends that i havent seen for a long time, etc. My problem is that i dont want to brood on the past. i want to forget about the past and live in the present. Tell me how can i bring my mind to the present? How can i make my mind stop processing old data and start accumulating something new? i have already started thinking of many solutions as i type this post, but your opinions i will appreciate.
Old 04-08-2019, 08:20 PM
Administrator
There is only one way to live and that is in the Here and Now.time waits for no man remember your past and what it has taught you.
but go into the future with an open heart and a positive mind.
doing that you wont go far wrong.

Namaste
Old 04-08-2019, 09:10 PM
Master
We are products of our past but we do not have to be prisoners of our past. A wise saying is that “we should draw from our past but not let our past draw from us.” The past is a teaching tool that we have, we should learn from it, remember, and not entirely let go of it. Although, most of our time is best spent staying in the moment, quieting our thoughts and staying focused in the here and now. Human beings are often running through life to what they think is next, or reminiscing about what has been; staying in the moment can be a task until you get used to it, as you have just graduated your mind is likely still in that school mode and maybe slowing your mind down and giving it a vacation, might help you to effortlessly stay in the moment. There is clarity to be gained by staying quietly in the moment.
Old 05-08-2019, 01:12 AM
Master

What is binding & confining
Is not the recollecting
But therein stagnating
By needlessly clinging

Old 05-08-2019, 08:50 AM
Master

Hello thespiritual1,

A (very) wise lady once taught me that the past is simply the manual of the future.

Good luck with your quest.
Old 05-08-2019, 08:20 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native spirit
There is only one way to live and that is in the Here and Now.time waits for no man remember your past and what it has taught you.
but go into the future with an open heart and a positive mind.
doing that you wont go far wrong.

Namaste

Nice. I like that.
Old 05-08-2019, 10:40 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by thespiritual1
My problem is that i dont want to brood on the past. i want to forget about the past and live in the present. Tell me how can i bring my mind to the present? How can i make my mind stop processing old data and start accumulating something new? i have already started thinking of many solutions as i type this post, but your opinions i will appreciate.

Why do you want to accumulate something new? New data soon becomes more old data to let go of. How about letting go of the old and enjoying the space of an empty mind?

Easier said than done. It requires continuously being aware of the present without being distracted by past memories or future projections. It requires that we let go of all our stories about ourselves and our past, and we soon discover how attached we are to our particular history. It requires continual vigilance to prevent thoughts from arising, until thinking fades away because we no longer give energy to our thoughts. But the rewards of an empty mind, resting in the present moment, is worth it.

Peace
Old 22-08-2019, 10:51 AM

I believe we can't forget about the past completely - our past experiences will be with us forever and are part of our journey. If you keep being pulled back then there is probably something you need to learn from the past.

What keeps us stuck in the past are unconscious, unfelt and unresolved feelings. So we need to feel into the past memories that keep drawing us back and fully feel our emotions about them - it may be regret, saddness, anger or even a past love not fully acknowledged.

Once we fully feel our feelings about the past then we will spontaneously come back fully to the present. I have experienced this many times. The soul dwells in the past, the mind dwells in the future and the spirit dwells in the present and we need to honour and care for all parts of ourselves, soul, mind and spirit.

We really don't need to 'transend' the soul or the past, just honour it.
Old 22-08-2019, 11:08 AM
Master
Nothing wrong with the past and enjoying some happy memories! No reason to not go there every now and again either.
Only if it's hindering you because something from the past is still stuck in your craw and causing you anger or pain and so on. Then you best look into that so you can heal it and then let go.
And if you happen to be reminiscing a lot at the moment, what's wrong with that? It wouldn't happen if it wasn't necessary for whatever reason.
Apart from that, looking back can be great to see how much you've learnt and grown, how far you've come!
Also it's nice to remember something from the past that shifts how you see yourself in the 'now'. I've had that on several occasions. For instance thinking I never had great friends, was always the one no one wanted and so on. But thinking back more realistically I began to see that I often was friends with the most popular guys and used to hang out with popular, great gals as well.
Oddly enough exactly this came up in a dream this morning, hihi, so I was thinking about this subject. It can be so healing, shifting your self-image from 'no one liked me' to 'I was popular too!'

I doubt one lives in the past all the time. But I do at times spend lots of time going over past things to find healing and answers.
It's a wonderful tool and well worth your time!
Old 02-09-2019, 07:50 PM
Knower

Sat

Quote:
Originally Posted by thespiritual1
i am free these days. i am almost done with my graduation. it will be a few months before i begin something new like a job or further studies. So these days i am on a break. Now that i have nothing to do, my mind often goes wandering into past. i think about people i used to know, my old city, my relatives, living and deceased, my friends that i havent seen for a long time, etc. My problem is that i dont want to brood on the past. i want to forget about the past and live in the present. Tell me how can i bring my mind to the present? How can i make my mind stop processing old data and start accumulating something new? i have already started thinking of many solutions as i type this post, but your opinions i will appreciate.

Do mindfulness and realise who you Truly are, your True origin.