Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Christianity

Old 15-07-2020, 03:21 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohn
Everybody has there own way of studying/learning.

If you look at the various threads in Christianity posted on Spiritual Forums, a common theme seems to emerge. Many of the posters seem to be weak in their understanding of the Old Testament. Without that foundation, it becomes hard to understand exactly what Jesus is talking about at times.

True, but many have a hard time reading the OT.

I think, even if this is a spiritual forum, this is a better place to have dicussions, people are open and are not judgemental towards one another....
Old 15-07-2020, 03:23 PM
Master
Quote:
Everybody has there own way of studying/learning.

If you look at the various threads in Christianity posted on Spiritual Forums, a common theme seems to emerge. Many of the posters seem to be weak in their understanding of the Old Testament. Without that foundation, it becomes hard to understand exactly what Jesus is talking about at times.

' Without that foundation, it becomes hard to understand exactly what Jesus is talking about at times.'

Maybe you personally find it hard but not so for others. I know Christians who wouldn't open the old testament and know and more importantly practice what Jesus taught.
Old 15-07-2020, 03:28 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatMan

I think, even if this is a spiritual forum, this is a better place to have dicussions, people are open and are not judgemental towards one another....

Not to forget, Christians don't need to read the old testament, it's irrelevant. It doesn't take much to understand the Teachings of Jesus. Love, respect, morality, empathy, compassion, honesty, simple... Who needs the old testament.....

I love what Pope Benedict said,
You don't have to believe the Bible to be saved....

“It is not necessary to believe in God to be a good person. In a way, the traditional. Notion of God is outdated. One can be spiritual but not religious. It is not necessary to go to church and give money — for many, nature can be a church. Some of the best people in history do not believe in God, while some of the worst deeds were done in His name.”
― Pope Francis

The times they are a changing..... Dogma might be on its way out or at least diluted.
Old 15-07-2020, 06:36 PM
Master
Quote:

I find reading the Old Testament enjoyable but when I read it in Hebrew it takes on an amazing quality. I can see why some have problems with that part of the Bible but then remember, Jesus was born a Jew and died a Jew. In order to understand some of the 'deeper' things, one almost has to become a Jew.

Some of the main themes of the Bible are clearly brought out in the Old Testament. For example:

What role did Jesus fulfill in regards to the Law?

What did the Law foreshadow and its applications for today?

Why did/does Jesus provide Hope?

etc.

⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜ ⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜

Happiness is the result of an enlightened mind whereas suffering is caused by a distorted mind.

Old 15-07-2020, 07:55 PM
Master

Quote:
I find reading the Old Testament enjoyable but when I read it in Hebrew it takes on an amazing quality. I can see why some have problems with that part of the Bible but then remember, Jesus was born a Jew and died a Jew. In order to understand some of the 'deeper' things, one almost has to become a Jew.

Some of the main themes of the Bible are clearly brought out in the Old Testament. For example:

What role did Jesus fulfill in regards to the Law?

What did the Law foreshadow and its applications for today?

Why did/does Jesus provide Hope?

etc.

As I said, the OT is full of wisdom and good teachings, I myself like most of it, one of my favourite book is the Ecclesiastes, I advice all christians to read it and read it again to understand it.

There is violence in the OT and this is the main thing that keeps people away from it, God is portrayed with human traits in many places, this is telling me that it was not God but people's ideas of God.

For example, God says about Himself that He is a jelous God, we all know the context, the people of that time were bowing to man made gods and doing human sacrifices. To me this sounds like this: God told them that He is the only One, the Supreme One, the Supreme Being; and they wrote about this as if God was jelous, because from their perspective, there were many gods, yet they were called to follow one God.
Old 15-07-2020, 08:06 PM
Master
Quote:
As I said, the OT is full of wisdom and good teachings, I myself like most of it, one of my favourite book is the Ecclesiastes, I advice all christians to read it and read it again to understand it.

There is violence in the OT and this is the main thing that keeps people away from it, God is portrayed with human traits in many places, this is telling me that it was not God but people's ideas of God.

For example, God says about Himself that He is a jelous God, we all know the context, the people of that time were bowing to man made gods and doing human sacrifices. To me this sounds like this: God told them that He is the only One, the Supreme One, the Supreme Being; and they wrote about this as if God was jelous, because from their perspective, there were many gods, yet they were called to follow one God.

Originally, God was extremely benevolent. But then his authority was challenged which has caused all of the conflicts. Sure, God could have squashed the rebellion but it is better to have it play out so everybody knows the rebels were really rebellious and it was they that brought about all the anguish. As for the ones who have died, for the most part, they will be resurrected and tested to see if they want to be on God's side.

Happiness is the result of an enlightened mind whereas suffering is caused by a distorted mind.

Old 19-07-2020, 03:14 PM
Master
What is the "root of all evil"?
Money or, "the survival instinct".

"There is no place in this new kind of physics for both the field and matter, for the field is the only reality." - A. Einstein
Old 19-07-2020, 07:34 PM
Suspended

Jesus does not come in a way foreseen by man. That's because heaven is intertwined with Earth! Side by side in another dimension.

--

Last edited by Brian100 : 19-07-2020 at 08:16 PM.