Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Spiritual Development

Old 04-12-2019, 11:59 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Altair
You have to understand that being a ''guru'' is their profession, they primarily offer spiritual 'services' in the form of guidance in spiritual practices. The times of being a renounced, wandering, homeless but spiritual person are over. Everyone has to make a living and the spiritual ideal of thousands of years ago is no longer relevant in today's world.
It's understandable they ask for money, but having said that, spiritual services are often way overpriced.
They're still out there if you look.
Old 04-12-2019, 12:19 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by hallow
They're still out there if you look.

I've no personal interest in ''looking'' for them. Anyone who claims to be 'spiritually advanced' is usually just enjoying physiological pleasures.
When they can answer the hard questions about existence and the universe, and don't rely on cultural tropes and human projections, than I'm interested.
Old 04-12-2019, 12:29 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoOne
There is simply no space in a forum to describe the whole experience, in detail, it is difficult to put in words anyways.

Suffice to say, when the Kundalini breaks through to the Crown, Unity consciousness is experienced. You are no longer in Mind or even the body, the Self expands into infinity and experiences a state of omniscience. It is only when it returns to the body and with it, the mind, that it is boxed into its formal constraints. The Universal mind is unlimited, but the body cannot contain it, since it is finite. As long as a person has to exist in this world, using this body, he cannot be infinite consciousness, though he can have access to it.

I agree, it's difficult to put into words. not only that there is no set president for what S.R. actually refers too. peeps cannot even agree to what all other key words mean ..

Many can't agree on what ego means, let alone 'mind' for which I believe we differ on here .. for when you speak about chakras and unity for myself these are key signs that there is still mind and there is still self even if there is a collective or a universal expansion that occurs. My cosmic experience of universal mind still retained a sense of myself while being the infinite so to speak. I see beyond mind as beyond even that .

x daz x
Old 04-12-2019, 12:30 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by kishore
According to me he/she is one who has dissolved thier ego completely, does not feel profit or loss, does not feel insult or respect etc after reaching that state, looking for that type of person in this site.
Dissolving the ego is a spirituality myth. The ego is neither a good/bad or positive/negative thing. The ego just is/just exists. Enlightenment/self realization/gnosis is balancing the ego out with (mental) non-duality/making the ego one with non-duality/joining non-duality.
Old 04-12-2019, 12:32 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by God-Like
I agree, it's difficult to put into words. not only that there is no set president for what S.R. actually refers too. peeps cannot even agree to what all other key words mean ..

Many can't agree on what ego means, let alone 'mind' for which I believe we differ on here .. for when you speak about chakras and unity for myself these are key signs that there is still mind and there is still self even if there is a collective or a universal expansion that occurs. My cosmic experience of universal mind still retained a sense of myself while being the infinite so to speak. I see beyond mind as beyond even that .

x daz x

I differentiate between the experience of first enlightenment, when consciousness moves out of the body and becomes universal, versus the day-to-day reality that follows, in which consciousness is restrained and restricted to the body, but maintains a link to infinity via the Crown Chakra and the inflow of grace from that higher source, which you could call heaven.
Old 04-12-2019, 12:40 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by hallow
that's a fine example of how people can be dumb, and the madness of the follow the leader. In many religions I have no doubt that the intention is good. That's why I became independently minded on the topic. I'll use the Bible for example. It's full of inspiration and great things. But also it has some really frightening things I don't believe we're put there by "god". The books of the Bible were chosen by priest at that time by what they thought was best for christanity. It was a completely different world then. But there IS good in it. It's not god I don't trust. It's the people who organized it. Because the way a lot of people are if they can control the masses there going to make it work for them.
I agree totally.

There is a fine balance which needs to be implemented when maintaining any institution, religious or otherwise when it comes to conforming to any established tradition for the benefit of all. There is always the risk that others may corrupt the original message, not only the priests, but those who seek to change the whole function and sacred doctrines of the establishment to tailor it to individual beliefs and preferences outside the confines of that religion..thus inconveniencing others who do not believe as they do.

Then, if a left wing activist cannot change things to suit them, they will accuse the institution of "controlling the masses" when if the "masses" thought for one minute they were being "controlled", they probably would not have joined in the first place.

It is very tricky.

There are other "gurus" out there like Sadhguru Jaggi Vasudev. Now, I don't know if he is "enlightened" or not, but in his recent visit to Australia, tickets to his lecture was $800 for two days...way out of my personal price range, but those who could afford it and who like Sadhguru wouldn't mind paying, while everyone else will say "what a waste of money!"

Who knows how much the expenses are to fly him and his entourage out here..hire a stadium in Melbourne for two days..arrange staff, seating etc..maybe the $800 per person was justified? Who knows it? Only Sadhguru's accountant most probably.

The only reason why I don't follow Sadhguru is because it is all just way too "flashy" for me..he does have a lot of great things to say...he is very wise, but he is also a very charismatic showman and that turns me off...I will follow a teacher and during my years, I have had a few teachers I followed without question, because I KNOW the moment I questioned anything, I would simply be told that I chose to be there and I could also choose to leave if I did not like it...but most people who don't understand that would take offense because the teacher is not catering to their ego.

I would have followed Ramana Maharishi or Nisargadatta Maharaj if I were alive during that time...Ramana Maharishi, Swami Vivekananda, Ramakrishna Paramahamsa., Swami Sivananda Saraswati, Ananda Mayi Ma, Mother Theresa...there are many great saints who many would consider to be "Enlightened" by popular consensus.

Now, with the proliferation of the internet and YouTube, with an ever increasing population, there are thousands of teachers who are putting there message "out there" and so, trying to find someone who you would personally consider to be "enlightened"...whether they are or not it isn't really the judgment call if anybody else anyway...but it is like trying to find a needle in a haystack when so many great, enlightened beings have all gone before them so they have pretty big shoes to fill to place themselves jn the same company, so humility is a necessary prerequisite and the humble, meek ones would most probably not advertise on YouTube or Facebook, or join forums like this one.
Old 04-12-2019, 12:55 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Altair
You have to understand that being a ''guru'' is their profession, they primarily offer spiritual 'services' in the form of guidance in spiritual practices. The times of being a renounced, wandering, homeless but spiritual person are over. Everyone has to make a living and the spiritual ideal of thousands of years ago is no longer relevant in today's world.
It's understandable they ask for money, but having said that, spiritual services are often way overpriced.
While ever I am alive, the spiritual traditions of thousands of years ago will always remain relevant.

Ever heard of the Kumbh Mela?

Every 4 years, millions upon millions of wandering, spiritual, homeless, renounced sadhus who follow the ancient traditions of thousands of years ago gather in one of four places along the banks of the holy mother Ganga....we are all still out there...oh yes, we are!

None of the Babas have a mobile phone or YouTube account..they have got better things to do than to go on forums or social media...they are too busy doing tapas, meditating, giving blessings and smoking hash...what a life!

However, because they are not online, those who live online know nothing of them...so they just don't exist..oh look how "virtual reality" is becoming "reality" for some..

Then, if some alien race drops an ebomb on civilization, suddenly, they are all there, all waving and saying "hi there".
Old 04-12-2019, 01:12 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by kishore
U need to browse some topics on self realization and out of body expriences books like who am i book written by Shriram Sharma Acharya for more clarification on how to dissociate from ego consiousness through obes and all, try to be open to new knowledge and facts, i prefer u to read who am i book by Shriram Sharma and then u will understand some new things.
I'm sorry but this IS new information. So I'd like to invite you to educate yourself further.
Old 04-12-2019, 01:17 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shivani Devi
While ever I am alive, the spiritual traditions of thousands of years ago will always remain relevant.
Ever heard of the Kumbh Mela?
Every 4 years, millions upon millions of wandering, spiritual, homeless, renounced sadhus who follow the ancient traditions of thousands of years ago gather in one of four places along the banks of the holy mother Ganga....we are all still out there...oh yes, we are!
None of the Babas have a mobile phone or YouTube account..they have got better things to do than to go on forums or social media...they are too busy doing tapas, meditating, giving blessings and smoking hash...what a life!
However, because they are not online, those who live online know nothing of them...so they just don't exist..oh look how "virtual reality" is becoming "reality" for some..
Then, if some alien race drops an ebomb on civilization, suddenly, they are all there, all waving and saying "hi there".

It's not about being ''online'', it's about living in a developed country. Throughout much of human history, those with strong beliefs could receive or were given special status, but that is eroding. Give India another couple of decades and they'll look differently at wandering, stoned ascetics. Then they will all have to give services to the interested and charge money. The ones that do today are the pioneers. In the future all of Indian spirituality will be wholly commodified. That's simply how things work in advanced, service-based economies. Having a profile on social media etc. is essential these days if you want to promote yourself as a guru.
Old 04-12-2019, 01:25 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shivani Devi
Yes, but if you ARE an "Enlightened Master" you will most probably just change the subject or pretend not to hear the question...you wouldn't care what anybody else says or thinks (but you don't wish to reinforce the 'enlightenment' stereotype either)...however, on a public forum where somebody is making generalizations on all "holy men" based upon their disclosure or non disclosure of Spiritual attainment, another said user of the forum who may or may not be "enlightened" has the right of rebuttal in the spirit of an "appeal to reason".

Well said.

In Taoism, it is said that "He who says he knows, knows not. He who says he knows not,knows."

"Unknowing" is not well understood.

My spiritual mentor responded constantly to such queries with three words: "I don't know". Eventually, such questions ceased.