Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Paganism

Old 03-12-2016, 03:29 PM
Master
New Pagan temple in Poland

https://arithharger.wordpress.com/20...ple-in-poland/
Old 10-12-2016, 07:29 PM
Lepus

Hello norseman,

That's wonderful! It's always great to connect with old traditions during the pre-Christian era. It's part of history that shouldn't be forgotten. But really, there are remnants of the old ways still in connection with old customs & beliefs. I would like to view pictures from inside the temple.

I like the snowfall animation.

Bblessed be,
Lepus
Old 11-12-2016, 09:39 AM
Master
"old" traditions, Lepus ? Many pagan groups in Britain keep these traditions alive. WE keep the old festival days, we perform our rituals at the ancient holy places [ restoring them as necessary ]. Some of the groups even build new stone circles. My local group built a new stone circle a few years back using primitive methods [ no machinery used !]. It is called Sentry Circle.
https://www.facebook.com/Sentrycircle/
Old 15-12-2016, 11:12 PM
Lepus

Hello norseman,

Quote:
Originally Posted by norseman
"old" traditions, Lepus ? Many pagan groups in Britain keep these traditions alive. WE keep the old festival days, we perform our rituals at the ancient holy places [ restoring them as necessary ]. Some of the groups even build new stone circles. My local group built a new stone circle a few years back using primitive methods [ no machinery used !]. It is called Sentry Circle.
https://www.facebook.com/Sentrycircle/

Can you say the same for Celtic/Druidry? From what I understand, there are Celtic/Drudic reconstructionists that rely on scholars & neopagans in an effort to reconstruct & revive, in a modern Celtic cultural context, pre-Christian Celtic religions. By the way, these traditions date back during the pre-Christian era. That is old.

I do need to learn more of the history across Europe in relation to pre-Christian paganism. Are there remnants of people in other countries in Europe that follow the same footsteps building stones using primitive methods like Britain?

Blessed be,
Lepus
Old 16-12-2016, 09:34 AM
Master
Hi Lepus, Pagan creeds are alive and well in Scandanavia and [especially] Iceland. Iceland has built new temples to the Nordic deities but their whole culture is enriched with pagan beliefs. For example, major road works in Iceland have been diverted/cancelled because building the roads would have destroyed ELF HOUSES ! Everywhere you go in Britain, you are faced with reminders and relics of our far past. For example, I live on the edge of the North Yorks moors - an upland wild moor which sweeps up from the wild, grey North Sea. Archeologists are currently excavating an 8000 BC settlement there on the edge of the moor. The moor itself has over 10000 sites of archeological interest, including 5000 Bronze Age graves. Northern England/Scotland has more ancient stones than you could throw a stick at. But the most telling relates to the Druids. Popular lore says that the Romans eradicated the Druids in Anglesey but many actually escaped to Eire via the Isle of Man and were subsumed in the Celtic Church which was a pagan-christian hybrid. Much, much later, A n Anglo-Saxon king of Northumbria invited Irish monks to build a monastery in pagan England and monks from the Celtic Church did so on Lindisfarne. So, christianity came to England, brought by pagan christians and so it goes.
Bringing up to date, the Celtic Church is to re-establish itself again on Lindisfarne. Being pagan is our natural ethos and we gave the world our national "religion" - Witchcraft !
Old 17-12-2016, 03:21 AM
Lepus

Hello norseman,

Quote:
Hi Lepus, Pagan creeds are alive and well in Scandanavia and [especially] Iceland. Iceland has built new temples to the Nordic deities but their whole culture is enriched with pagan beliefs. For example, major road works in Iceland have been diverted/cancelled because building the roads would have destroyed ELF HOUSES ! Everywhere you go in Britain, you are faced with reminders and relics of our far past. For example, I live on the edge of the North Yorks moors - an upland wild moor which sweeps up from the wild, grey North Sea. Archeologists are currently excavating an 8000 BC settlement there on the edge of the moor. The moor itself has over 10000 sites of archeological interest, including 5000 Bronze Age graves. Northern England/Scotland has more ancient stones than you could throw a stick at. But the most telling relates to the Druids. Popular lore says that the Romans eradicated the Druids in Anglesey but many actually escaped to Eire via the Isle of Man and were subsumed in the Celtic Church which was a pagan-christian hybrid. Much, much later, A n Anglo-Saxon king of Northumbria invited Irish monks to build a monastery in pagan England and monks from the Celtic Church did so on Lindisfarne. So, christianity came to England, brought by pagan christians and so it goes.
Bringing up to date, the Celtic Church is to re-establish itself again on Lindisfarne. Being pagan is our natural ethos and we gave the world our national "religion" - Witchcraft !

Amazing! I'm glad these sites remain under preservation for Archeologists to uncover pieces of information that may answer questions in correlation with the past. The Druids kept most of their traditions verbal without any written scriptures. The earliest evidence of the Druid spiritual tradition is from 25,000 years ago & is found in caves in Europe, such as the Pinhole caves in Derbyshire in England, the Chauvet or Lascaux caves in France, & the Altamira in Spain, which feature paintings of wild animals on their walls, from what I've read. Do Wiccans in Britain follow the Traditional British Witchcraft?

Blessed be,
Lepus
Old 17-12-2016, 09:31 AM
Master
Morning Lepus. Wicca is not as popular in the UK as it is in the US due to the strength of British Traditional Witchcraft. Wicca is seen as an entry portal sort-of. I "entered" but soon departed for the deeper levels of the Cunning Folk who- it is said, predate Witchcraft.
There is still much archeology to discover, even Stonehenge continues to surprise. It is suggested that the Stonehenge itself was not the focal point of that site. My local, Thornborough Henges, is a little older than Stonehenge, both said to have been planned by priests from Orkney and the huge Neolithic complex there. Even Thornborough has surprises to offer. A couple of years back, archeologists digging there uncovered a grave which held the remains of two horses AND the skeleton of a female who must have been a prominent figure to warrant such a burial. We still hold ceremonies and festivals at Thornborough which is very popular with Northern Pagans. We have pagan souls !
Old 19-12-2016, 02:50 AM
Lepus

Hello norseman,

Quote:
Morning Lepus. Wicca is not as popular in the UK as it is in the US due to the strength of British Traditional Witchcraft. Wicca is seen as an entry portal sort-of. I "entered" but soon departed for the deeper levels of the Cunning Folk who- it is said, predate Witchcraft.
There is still much archeology to discover, even Stonehenge continues to surprise. It is suggested that the Stonehenge itself was not the focal point of that site. My local, Thornborough Henges, is a little older than Stonehenge, both said to have been planned by priests from Orkney and the huge Neolithic complex there. Even Thornborough has surprises to offer. A couple of years back, archeologists digging there uncovered a grave which held the remains of two horses AND the skeleton of a female who must have been a prominent figure to warrant such a burial. We still hold ceremonies and festivals at Thornborough which is very popular with Northern Pagans. We have pagan souls !

I'm not familiar with Orkney & the huge Neolithic Complex. From what I've read, Orkney is an archipelago off the northeastern coast of Scotland. The islands encompass Neolithic sites, tall sandstone cliffs and seal colonies. The Orcadians are native to Orkney that descended from Pict, Norse, & Scotts. Long before the Egyptians began the pyramids, Neolithic man built a vast temple complex at the top of what is now Scotland. Here's the timeline of early Orkney history.The Monuments of Ness of Brodgar, Standing Stones o' Stennes, & Maeshowe shows signs of ceremonial centre(?) The same inhabitants of Orkney planned the Thornborough Henges? It was said, Orkney was the centre for innovation for the British isles. Ideas spread from this place – stone rings with ditches round them – were erected on Orkney. Then the ideas spread to the rest of the Neolithic Britain. The Stonehenge & Thornborough Henges are focal points for ceremony, correct? Can you, maybe, provide a link to an article about the remains of the woman & two horses? I would like to read on that.

Blessed be,
Lepus
Old 19-12-2016, 08:42 AM
Master
https://brigantesnation.com/thornbor...orth-yorkshire

Horse burials in here. Proof of Orcadian involvement relates to distinct Orcadian pottery being found at Stonehenge. Thornborough was said to be the spiritual centre of England, not Stonehenge [ roughly half-way between Orkney and Stonehenge ]. Thornborough was later adopted by the Brigantes Celts as their spiritual centre, dedicated to Brigantia [aka Brigit, Brigid ] goddess of Northern England. Brigantes were the largest Celtic confederation [ Parisii to the east and Calvetii to the west.
We still invoke Brigantia's name in our opening ceremonies at festival times.
Thornborough centre piece is three earth-bank rings, stretching a mile and a half - the largest neolithic construction in Britain - and set in further smaller ringssurrounding in a "holy" landscape. Oddity : the three ring are set out in a line identical to the three main stars in Orion's belt.
Thornborough [third ring at top is wooded] http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/k...s/fb617a2f.png
Old 19-12-2016, 10:40 PM
Lepus

Hello norseman,

Quote:
https://brigantesnation.com/thornbor...orth-yorkshire

Horse burials in here. Proof of Orcadian involvement relates to distinct Orcadian pottery being found at Stonehenge. Thornborough was said to be the spiritual centre of England, not Stonehenge [ roughly half-way between Orkney and Stonehenge ]. Thornborough was later adopted by the Brigantes Celts as their spiritual centre, dedicated to Brigantia [aka Brigit, Brigid ] goddess of Northern England. Brigantes were the largest Celtic confederation [ Parisii to the east and Calvetii to the west.
We still invoke Brigantia's name in our opening ceremonies at festival times.
Thornborough centre piece is three earth-bank rings, stretching a mile and a half - the largest neolithic construction in Britain - and set in further smaller ringssurrounding in a "holy" landscape. Oddity : the three ring are set out in a line identical to the three main stars in Orion's belt.
Thornborough [third ring at top is wooded] http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/k...s/fb617a2f.png

I have so much to learn in relation to ancient Britain & the Celtic tribes during the time of the pre-Roman conquest. I decided to read first & ask questions later to have a brief comprehension background on ancient Britain. There's so much to learn about pre-Christian traditions & beliefs that I'm better off doing my own research than constantly ask questions. I'd enjoyed our little discussion & I'll make sure to read the article. As for now, I need to do research & arrange the information in a chronological order for a better understanding. I do have one last question in regards to Orion's belt & Thornborough Henges, is there a connection?

Blessed be,
Lepus

Last edited by Lepus : 20-12-2016 at 02:23 AM.