Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Spirituality

Old 26-08-2014, 09:45 PM
Guide

About forgiving

Sorry for another thread but anyway.

So today i was looking up somethin about it. Like in a dictionary. You know what it means but not totally so you look it up (or not)

What made this click, and what i also allready kinda realized but not fully is this:

Forgiving is not possible or has no effect if the perpetuator does NOT reckognize his actions.

The reason why a sorry can be so empty. And basicly means nothing. Its about letting quarter fall trough. If there are words and discussion, yet u feel the quarter is not going trough its meaningless.
Old 28-08-2014, 08:09 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemcrusader

So today i was looking up somethin about it. Like in a dictionary. You know what it means but not totally so you look it up (or not)

What made this click, and what i also allready kinda realized but not fully is this:

Forgiving is not possible or has no effect if the perpetuator does NOT reckognize his actions.

The reason why a sorry can be so empty. And basicly means nothing. Its about letting quarter fall trough. If there are words and discussion, yet u feel the quarter is not going trough its meaningless.

Gemcrusader - I don't believe that 'forgiving is not possible or has no effect if the perpetrator does not recognize his actions.' I have forgiven many people in my life to whom I feel I was hurt by, offended, disrespected or betrayed by. Some were sorry, but some never discussed past issues with me ever again or went by the way side. For those who remained in my life and never addressed wrong-doings or apologized, I still forgave them. It did take a very long time, but in the end holding onto grudges only hurt me. I was bitter, angry and harbored negative thoughts about those individuals until I finally released all the self-suffering. I don't waste anymore time thinking about how anyone did me wrong. I'm in a far better place having let it all go. After all, life is life not only for myself, but for other people too. I'm just here trying to do my best and make the right decisions and I'm not perfect. I've made a lot of detrimental mistakes in my life. And yet, if I can let my own self off the hook, I need to do the same for others. We're all only humans and with that comes imperfection and learning.

Blackraven
Old 28-08-2014, 09:02 PM
Master
"forgiving is primarily for our own sake so that we no longer carry the burden of resentment." which is saying that forgiveness is selfish...perhaps, if one is not enlightened, then dropping some burden of resentment might be necessary, so you can breath...but i bear in mind that its about me, not them.

only the image of yourself that you've constructed out of fear can be hurt (other than physically)...no self image, no hurt, no need for forgiveness. really, the person contemplating forgiveness should apologise for having constructed a man made self that is basically, inadvertently, inviting misery...and then we bemoan the portender of our own legacy...bit cheeky aint we...its always me, never the other.

"There is no psychological evolution: there is only the ending of sorrow, of pain, anxiety, loneliness, despair and all that."
Old 28-08-2014, 09:14 PM
Master

First you have to be willing to let go of all your emotions of betrayal from this person who hurt you. The emotions you are hanging onto. Only then can forgiveness have any meaning.

It has nothing to do with the other person. It all comes from within. And when you can do that, you can forgive them whether they have apologized or not.
Old 29-08-2014, 05:08 AM
Knower

Quote:
...what i also allready kinda realized but not fully is this:

I disagree. I disagree quite strongly, in fact.

My father was a narcissist. He engaged in a lot of very cruel, hurtful behavior over the course of his life, especially toward his children.

And he never, ever apologized, or admitted to even the slightest wrongdoing. If I was ever hurt by his cruelty, it was my fault--I needed to develop a thicker skin, a better sense of humor, stop being so sensitive, lighten up, get with the program. I was always inadequate, wrong, ignorant, with my head up my rear. And when he did compliment me, it was always with other people around, and it always felt fake, as if he was trying to show them what a loving father he was, not tell me what a good daughter I was.

But right before he died, I finally forgave him. Completely and absolutely forgave him for everything. He died of cancer, and suffered a lot at the end, and that finally brought him down to human-size for me, where I could finally comprehend that he was just a frightened, insecure, unhappy being who had spent his life trying to get a leg up on everybody. He'd been so cruel to me and to others because he truly believed we would treat him the same way if he didn't keep us knocked off-balance. He saw everyone else as a potential threat to his ego, and therefore he couldn't truly love. He lived a sad and pitiable life, once I really thought about it. It was easy to forgive, then.

Forgiveness has nothing to do with what the other person does, or whether they're sorry. Forgiveness is simply dropping your own pain, anger, shame, and resentment when it comes to that person. You don't even need to tell them they're forgiven. You just need to make the decision to stop carrying that heavy negativity and blaming it on them.

Forgiveness isn't about letting others get away with what they've done; it's about letting you get away from it, rather than continuing to drag it around.

The other person can keep on doing whatever it is they do. They don't need to be sorry. There's no debt you're trying to collect from them, any more. And by dropping past hurt, you can quit dragging it into the present and move unhindered into the future.

Quote:

I have forgiven people who gave me such ridiculous, lame, half-baked apologies it was all I could do not to roll my eyes and say, "You have got to be kidding if you think that's even a remotely believable apology."

I have forgiven people who gave me such ridiculous, lame, half-baked apologies all I could do was roll my eyes and say, "You have got to be kidding if you think that's even a remotely believable apology."

I have forgiven people who never bothered to offer an apology in the first place, my father included.

Forgiveness doesn't make everything they did okay, or restore broken trust, or let them get off without consequence. It just frees you from carrying around all that unresolved hurt and anger, and being further harmed in the process. That's it.
Old 29-08-2014, 06:32 AM
Master

There's an interesting chain of events that lead to an act of forgiveness, the second link being that of a judgmental nature...

No matter what is said and or done, it can go no further unless someone passes judgment and sentence on the said act...

Then, and only then, can an act of forgiveness become a reality or necessity...

So often, the one rebuffed by the initial statement or action, becomes the judge and jury, which is not really an idealistic position to be in, because it amounts to them being in a parallel position, to that of the initial perpetrator...

Once the knot has been tied, it takes a great deal of patience and understanding to find a satisfactory answer... Far be it from me to try and provide one here and now...

Never search for answers. Wait patiently until they are placed before you, which will be when you can unconditionally accept: and live those answers...

Old 29-08-2014, 02:32 PM
Guide

Well, im very sensitive to negative energy. And if one is pouring it into my system i have to do somethin about it. I can forgive all i want, but if they dont realize what they do it keeps floating around. And then im in pain. It affects my breathing. I dont get angry or somethin i just want it to stop. As soon as i know and feel it has hit them i can let it go. If not i cant and it keeps affecting me in a negative way which i dont want.
Old 29-08-2014, 02:40 PM
Master
In the long run, positive energy (PE) will always overcome negative traits... It's a matter of using ones PE to good effect, sending it in the right direction at the appropriate strength at exactly the right time... Practice make perfect ~ or as near as is possible: to perfection...

Never search for answers. Wait patiently until they are placed before you, which will be when you can unconditionally accept: and live those answers...

Old 29-08-2014, 02:58 PM
Lorelyen

Quote:

I go along with you on this.

In fact, to me, forgiving is a) as good as saying it no longer (or doesn't) matter to you (which will have spiritual or material consequences - if it REALLY didn't matter to you there'd be nothing to forgive); and b) gives the "forgivee" license to commit again whatever was forgiven.

Saying sorry is an empty gesture. To me, being sorry is about penitence and/or a vow nevermore to elicit that behaviour. Unfortunately behaviours for which people apologise often have deeper roots and most people find even a change of small habits difficult, let alone change the root of their behaviour.

On the other hand, some forgivable/apology thing could have arisen from misunderstanding or consequent to something else, in which case making good the situation/damage may be all that's needed.

Old 29-08-2014, 05:55 PM
Master
We each can only reflect on our own experience - with this subject as with many about the specifics of spirituality and being human.

My experience is this: I've found that it is often possible to forgive someone for their harmful or offensive actions that have affected me, while still deciding that their action was unethical or inappropriate. Not only deciding that (and holding to it), but if need be, also putting a boundary in place to distance myself from that person.

I forgive mainly because the effects of forgiveness are positive and beneficial inside of myself. I only wish to put up a barrier in cases where I can see the person has not changed their mode of relating to me (or to people in general). Tes, to conclude that there are no ethical "wrongs" in relations between people would, definitely, be ridiculous - since there are some things I vigorously avoid doing to other people.

Example of how it works out for me: Once, I was done an egregious wrong by someone (Person A) I'd previously considered a friend. Another friend of mine (Person B, who knew Person A casually) asked me how I could forgive him? Truthfully, time had helped.

But I found myself saying in reply to the question, "well, there were certain things I'd always liked about him - but there are some people I would trust only as far as I could throw them, and he's one of those."

In a real way, I've found, it doesn't matter what the "jerk" eventually realizes or thinks about the situation. I just want to avoid becoming more and more bitter.

I think the above reflects a good share of my experience in life in instances where I feel I've been wronged.