Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Buddhism

Old 14-11-2010, 12:56 AM
Experiencer
WHAT IS BUDDHISM ?

What is Buddhism?

by Bhante Vimalaramsi

This is a transcript of a talk and you can listen on MP3 as you read it.

http://www.dhammasukha.org/Study/Talks/Transcripts/WHAT-MAR03-TS.htm

Kind wishes,

Samana
Old 14-11-2010, 01:38 AM
Master
All Isms are only the outer shell, we must go deeper until the Isms fall away and we are left with nothing but the kernel or the inner Truth, this inner Truth cannot be made into a belief system or an Ism, once you do that you then kill it , it can't survive in the outer mind world.
Old 14-11-2010, 02:04 AM
Master
Regardless of if one thinks the teachings of the Buddha are to be considered what falls away or is what is left................this is the Buddhism section of the forum....no?
Old 14-11-2010, 02:18 AM
Master
I shall depart and leave you to your Isms.
Old 14-11-2010, 03:11 PM
Master
Some of the most spiritual people i have met are in `isms`. I`m not, like you, but I wouldnt dare look down my nose at them , holding my spirituality above theres. Because I would know I was wrong. They give their lives to god, or as in this thread (buddhism)to the investigation into spirtuality thru structured practice.
But maybe your totally realised and have gone beyond all of us psycho, in which case I bow my head to you. If not, consider other opinions and have the humilty not to dismiss them.
Old 14-11-2010, 03:21 PM
Experiencer
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteShaman
Regardless of if one thinks the teachings of the Buddha are to be considered what falls away or is what is left................this is the Buddhism section of the forum....no?

Absolutely. If we post here we should show respect for the Buddha and his teachings and not confuse newcomers to Buddhism with something different.

Spiritual Forums is a big site with lots of sections to suit different people. Please lets keep this Buddhism forum true to the teachings of the Buddha.

with metta,

Samana

Last edited by Samana : 15-11-2010 at 08:50 AM.
Old 28-11-2010, 07:15 PM
Apex Vega

I am going through the process psychoslice describes here. I have personally started my path as a Buddhist, by applying the techniques and exploring the different ideas. In that respect, it was my launchpad and it has coloured my understanding to some extent. But also, as psycoslice said, we must be able to see past the ideas, buddhist dictionary, concepts and ceremonies and see the essence we have found through all the means of "transportation"

The buddha himself said that this is only a boat to cross the river, when crossed we let go of the boat and move on.

With that said, I am forever greatfull to the Buddhist tradition. But I accept that people embark on a path outside of already etablished help routes to your own realization.

I dont feel that it was an attack or any animocity in the comment psychoslice posted, but then again I am working on noticing when i am identifying myself with a thought, tradition, nationality and so on. And so, when these kind of matters comes up I am reminded of this letting go process.
Old 21-02-2011, 04:25 PM
Experiencer
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverswhispers
I wonder if Buddhism has not been diluted over time as many other spiritual teachings when I consider that it seems few people are actually becoming enlightened. One would think there would be many Buddhas walking around now. Perhaps there is but I have not met one.

How do you know few people are becoming enlightened ? If one is a Buddhist monk or nun its not permissable to go around talking about personal attainments - and it isn't considered to be the right thing to do for lay people either.

How would you know a Buddha if you met one? I doubt they fly around on clouds and are surrounded by golden halos !
Old 22-02-2011, 05:32 PM
Master
Hi all,
I have just been gifted with a wooden tile stretch bracelet that had pictures of various buddha's on them and was trying to find out a little about the meaning behind it. It was purchased by a friend at a monastery in China for me. That alone gives it special meaning. I just like to know the history behind certain customs.
Thanks.............(sorry to bust in on this thread)
James
Old 22-02-2011, 07:00 PM
Master
Ok I just couldn't resist it !! Apologies.

They don't make em like this anymore.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Hfp73qjf6E