Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Lifestyle > Health

Old 05-03-2018, 03:10 PM
Master

Quit Smoking

I put this up every so often. I was just reminded of it so thought I'd repost it for those who are thinking of quitting smoking.

Quit Smoking

There are so many people who are trying to quit smoking this time of the year and my heart goes out to every one. Most of the people who are giving advice are delusional, saying it takes a couple of days or weeks to quit. That's horse pucky!! If that were the case many more would have quit successfully rather than having a list of failures.

You may wonder how the topic of smoking has anything to do with my spiritual path. Becoming more healthy and less dependent on substances that are addictive helps focus the mind on more important matters. So here is my take on smoking.

I quit many years ago and was smoke-free for 12 years. Then one night while drinking with friends I smoked a cigarette...after 12 years!! I was hooked again and smoked for another 6 years before my husband and I quit about 7 years ago.

It was tough for me as I am sure it will be for you. This won't be another pat-on-the-back article. You've got some hard work ahead of you. Absorb this though: "It's going to be very difficult but I'm up to the challenge and it's going to work this time."

Secondly, don't pick up the first cigarette and you will never have to worry about the second. That was my golden rule.

Do not allow anyone to smoke in the house. Get rid of every ash tray. All smoking (by others) should be done outside.

Don't believe the ads that say in a few weeks everything will be hunky dorey. It takes only 3 days to get the nicotine out of your system but all the chemicals they put in cigarettes today make it very difficult to quit. There are 599 different additives added to cigarettes made in the United States. Check Wiki, they list the ingredients. Many of these additives are included to make it even more difficult to quit. Go figure.

E cigarette are just as bad. No federal agency oversees the e-cigarette industry. That's a fact. So manufacturers can put whatever they want in them to keep you coming back. They don't care about your health, they only care about making money.

The first week is tough. The second week isn't any easier. Time is your worst enemy. A minute seems like five. In 30 minutes you will have thought about smoking a cigarette countless times. Then you look at the clock and only ten minutes have passed instead of 30. The thought of having to go through this torture for 24 hours causes a mild form of hysteria. And there is no let-up. Tomorrow is just as bad. It goes on day after day, with each hour of each day dragging by so slowly.

You reason that if you could just have one cigarette to stop the madness you can survive just this day. But with that one cigarette you now have to start all over again at day one. So smoking that first cigarette is a very bad idea because it will lead to the second and the third. Remember the golden rule.

Try not to think to far into the future. It can cause an overwhelming feeling of hopelessness. The thoughts that you can't go through this day after day goes through your mind over and over. Instead, try to think of only this moment. Keep bringing yourself back to the now. Reassure yourself that you've made it this far and stop your thoughts from going any further.

Sleep becomes your only friend. It is the only time you aren't craving a cigarette but once you wake up the battle continues until it's time to go to sleep again.

Stay away from smokers for at least a few months as best as you can. Of course you may live with a smoker so keep in mind it will take about 30 minutes for the smoke smell to die down after your friends or family smoke a cigarette. Keep your distance for that 30 minutes.

After the first 2 weeks you will probably be saying to yourself , "Why do I still want a cigarette? I should be over this!" Not so. Remember those 599 different additives. Remember the golden rule.

The only way you can see progress is by looking BACK to where you were 2 weeks ago in your struggle to stop smoking. It is the only way you will see progress. At a month, look BACK at where you were 2 weeks ago. Continue this month after month. Otherwise you will become discouraged because you won't feel and see the results. So look BACK. Keeping a journal might help so you can look back at previous entries. A journal may also help you feel more committed to quit.

At 12 months, smoke free, I still wanted a cigarette. I didn't crave one but I wanted one. It was a weak want but a want is a want. It wasn't until 18 months that the cravings were completely null and void. Get it in your head that this may take 12-18 months to resolve.

Even now when someone lights up around me, on rare occasions it still smells good for a few minutes before I start gagging. But I've quit successfully two times and I've learned my lesson the hard way. I will never pick up a cigarette again.

Lastly, (wo) man up!! Set the house rules and don't let anyone break them and don't apologize to anyone including yourself for making them.

The rest of the advice is what you've heard or read on many occasions.

Sunflower seeds
Suck on hard candy
Gum
Exercise, run or walk
A hobby or hobbies you enjoy using your hands and mind
Niconine Patch
Crossword or Sudoku puzzles or reading
Carry a worry stone and work it
Join a support group
Pray, if you are so inclined
Get out of the house and change your schedule from your former routine so you aren't home as much
Change those smoking times, i.e., do the dishes instead of smoking a cigarette at mealtimes
e-cigarette forum.com
Keep a journal or blog
Chantix®
Old 07-03-2018, 01:01 AM
Gracey

Good advice here. I smoked cigarettes for 16 years. My lungs got so bad, I couldn't walk 10 feet down the street without my lungs hurting me. So, I decided to quit. I had one night time dream of seeing a cigarette. I never desired one after I quit, even with my partner at the time asking me every five minutes if I wanted a cigarette.

When it came down to it, it was a decision...plain and simple. I decided not to do it and meant it, therefore, I had no desire to ever do it again.

If one does struggle with the decision they are attempting, all the suggestions here are great.
Old 07-03-2018, 02:01 PM
Master

You're one of the fortunate ones Gracey. I've heard of ones like you that never desired a cigarette again. Unfortunately, my case was not the same. I never picked up that first cigarette (therefore didn't have to concern myself with the second) but I craved them to an insane level.
Old 08-03-2018, 08:19 AM
Lorelyen

Excellent advice! It is "prepare for war"!

(No need to talk about my story or habits except I never was a heavy smoker but it was grit and determination to chuck it). One thing you have to be alert to is because of the chemical action of nicotine, the sugar carrying capacity of your blood changes slightly so you may put on weight in spite of not changing diet so let that be until you're in the clear then deal with diet.

You're never a non-smoker, as linen53 more or less hints. You're an ex-smoker.

Old 08-03-2018, 11:40 PM
Gracey

Quote:
Originally Posted by linen53
You're one of the fortunate ones Gracey. I've heard of ones like you that never desired a cigarette again. Unfortunately, my case was not the same. I never picked up that first cigarette (therefore didn't have to concern myself with the second) but I craved them to an insane level.

I am like that with food. Addiction is sly, ever playing on ones will power.
Old 09-03-2018, 02:32 PM
Master

Lorelyen, you are so right and thank you for bringing that up. Yes, I am an ex-smoker. Non-smoker was before I ever picked up my first cigarette when I was 17.

Gracey, an addiction is an addiction. They take so very many forms.

I find it strange that you wouldn't want my addiction of alcohol (6:30 to 7:30 pm every night) and I wouldn't want yours but we feel comfortable with the addictions we have. I have a friend who struggles with hoarding. And she is comfortable with her addiction but wouldn't want mine and I wouldn't want hers. Funny how it all works out.