Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > General Religion

Old 15-12-2013, 03:41 AM
Niebla0007

Christmas turned Xmas on billboard

Saw this on Fox news,

The billboard put up by the atheists. Anybody else seen this?

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendl...istmas-nobody/
Old 15-12-2013, 04:12 AM
Experiencer

Just checked out the link...

“Many so-called ‘Christmas’ traditions celebrated by Americans have nothing to do with Christianity. For example, the North Pole and Santa traditions come from Nordic and Germanic pagan traditions, and caroling, yule logs, mistletoe, holly wreaths..."

I was thinking recently how Christmas is mostly celebrated without mention if Jeebus or his dad.
Old 15-12-2013, 09:15 AM
Master
http://www.paganspath.com/magik/yule-history.htm

Here, read up on the REAL celebration !

Yule is derived into modern English from Jól deriving from Old Norse hjól, wheel, referring to the moment when the wheel of the year is at its low point, ready to rise again (compare to the Slavic karachun).

Another true celebration papered over by the church !
Old 05-03-2014, 05:10 PM
Animus27

While it is true many folk celebrations of Christmas are influenced by Medieval, occasionally non-christian customs, the holiday itself is not merely a remodeled Jól, since it was already a holiday before the missionary ventures were undertaken to the Germanic world at large, and therefore, wouldn't necessitate the "papering over" of a native Germanic holiday. If you want to argue any pagan origins of Christmas, late Roman celebrations would be a more fruitful avenue in determining the rise of the holiday.

Not to mention the issue that the Viking Age and Anglo-Saxon Yule wasn't usually celebrated on the 25th, or even 21st/22nd, the popular dates for championing when one wants to prove "sun worship" or other points.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilyth Von Gore
I celebrate Yule, personally.
And I believe that Santa was modelled after Odhinn, because Odhinn pretty much did what Santa does now. Travelled about on Sleipnir giving gifts to children who left out hay for Sleipnir. The Christianity came along, changed Yule to Christmas (even though logically speaking, Jesus was born in Spring because there were baby animals present at his birth. Baby animals aren't born mid Winter) and then Coca Cola turned Santa red when originally, he wore green (or gray).
I admit that there may be remnants of an Odinic figure in some of the Medieval conceptions of St. Nicholas, but I would seriously doubt heathens ever thought of Odin delivering gifts to children during winter, considering he was usually the leader of the Wild Hunt during the time, where the procession would steal away or kill whomever saw them. The gift giving traditions are almost certainly influenced by the hagiographical accounts of st. Nicholas of Myra's charity to local children and orphans.
Old 05-03-2014, 05:19 PM
Ascender
http://infolocata.com/mirovia/irrefu...santa-is-odin/

Old 05-03-2014, 05:44 PM
Animus27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilyth Von Gore
I laughed myself silly when I first saw that, it still makes me chuckle whenever I read it
Old 29-07-2017, 05:42 PM
Suspended
Experiencer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevo
Just checked out the link...

“Many so-called ‘Christmas’ traditions celebrated by Americans have nothing to do with Christianity. For example, the North Pole and Santa traditions come from Nordic and Germanic pagan traditions, and caroling, yule logs, mistletoe, holly wreaths..."

I was thinking recently how Christmas is mostly celebrated without mention if Jeebus or his dad.
Your logic is flawed. Atheists can be as narrow minded as those they're accusing of that.

Let the people be! Be at least polite if you aren't able to be respectful!

You (stevo) better think twice before you let others know what crosses your mind!
Old 16-12-2013, 12:43 AM
Niebla0007

I had a recent Yuletide post , too instead of christmas on one of my pages. Just a short version of documentary about how Christmas celebration came about and how it turned out and became a good marketing season. It is also interesting how it is pointed out that Jesus' birthday on the 25th of December was actually not found on record anywhere. In looking at the history, one will find it's way back to how it's just been conveniently set by earlier Christians to fit in and incorporate it to the Yule celebration.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IoBM3XQCC2g
Old 16-12-2013, 08:20 AM
Master
Exactly, Niebla. The "twelve days" originates in 12 Days of Yule. If you take out all the rebadged pagan festivals from the christian calender, you are left with nothing !

Actually, you can work out the birthday of "Jesus" from the bible statements. We are told that Mary and Joseph were in Bethlehem for the Passover -Passover is in April. They were there for the Roman Census - the Romans never carried out their census in winter. "While shepherds watched their flocks by night, etc" - no shepherd would have their flock outside in the winter snows, they would be under cover or at least at a lower altitude. Shimple !
Old 16-12-2013, 09:25 AM
primrose

All of you are right, even so, at this time of year I like to hear Merry Christmas, rather then the politically correct happy holidays.