Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Judaism

Old 25-02-2011, 08:44 PM
mike3reynolds

Do you believe in the Shekinah?

I know that the Zohar talks quite a bit about the Shekinah, but I'm wondering if it is a wide spread belief in Judaism? If so, has anyone here experienced the Shekinah or known anyone who has contact with the Shekinah?
Old 26-02-2011, 01:16 AM
Medium_Laura

My fiance' was raised Jewish and he has no idea what you're talking about! LOL

So I don't think it's widespread. Or he's just a bad jew :P
Old 26-02-2011, 01:18 AM
Master
I thought the Shekinah was like the feminine aspect of everything? I've probably oversimplified it - it's only something I've glanced at once in awhile.

We have some members who are very well versed in Judaism - I'm sure one of them will come to our rescue :)
Old 02-03-2011, 12:59 PM
A Glass named Esther

Kaere, you are right. But there's a bit more.

A short definition from Chabad.org:

Shechinah ("feminine aspect" of the Divine): The manifestation of the divine presence in this world; G-d's feminine manifestation

A short description from Jewish Virtual Library:
http://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/jsource/Judaism/Shekhinah.html

Shekhinah, Malkhut

Translation

God's Presence, Kingdom

Description

The Shekhinah is a Talmudic concept representing God's dwelling and immanence in the created world. It was equated with the "Keneset Yisrael," the personified spirit of the People of Israel.
According to a Rabbinic tradition, the Shekhinah shares in the exiles of the Jewish people.
Therefore, the redemption of the people of Israel is inextricably linked to the remedying of an alienation within God him/herself, introducing a bold new element into traditional Jewish Messianic eschatology.
It is through the Shekhinah that humans can experience the Divine.
The passivity of the Shekhinah is often emphasized (equated with its femininity), as the recipient of forces from the higher Sefirot.

Human Imagery (Primordial Man)
  • Mouth
  • The Shekhinah is often portrayed as a bride or princess whose male lover is the composite of the nine upper sefirot, represented by the prince/bridegroom Tiferet.
Old 02-03-2011, 01:25 PM
A Glass named Esther

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike3reynolds
I know that the Zohar talks quite a bit about the Shekinah, but I'm wondering if it is a wide spread belief in Judaism? If so, has anyone here experienced the Shekinah or known anyone who has contact with the Shekinah?

Asking if we believe in the Shekinah is like asking if we believe in ourselves to bring about G-d's presence here on Earth. According to the Torah, our mission is to make a dwelling place for G-d in the physical.

Many Jews have experienced the Shekinah. Both individually (the Prophets) and collectively (when we received the Torah at Mt. Sinai). When the Temple was standing, there was a resting place for the Shekinah on Earth. The third Temple, may it be built speedily in our days, will be a manifestation of the Shekinah permanently existing on Earth.

I'm not sure if you understand what you are asking with your question... Why are you looking to find a Jew who has experienced the Shekinah?

-esther