Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Lifestyle > Health

Old 07-02-2019, 04:00 PM
Master

Sadhguru Jaggi Vasudev on understanding the nature of mental illness....

An insightful article by Yogic master Sadhguru Jaggi Vasudev on understanding the nature of mental illness...

https://isha.sadhguru.org/us/en/wisd...mental-illness

Quote:

We need to build structures in society where the margin for mental illness is very low. Why I go back pining for the culture that existed in this land is because about 200 to 300 years ago, there were hardly any mentally ill people in this country simply because of certain structures in the society. Slowly, without awareness, we are pulling it down. Today, even in villages, there are psychologically broken people, which was never so in the past. If it happened, it was an extremely negligible percentage of people. The percentage is increasing. You can distinctly see that in so-called “affluent” societies, the percentage is becoming quite high. This is because a human being is a social animal unless he transcends certain things. Either we should work for transcendence or we should create a society which is supportive, which is not demanding. Right now, the social structures that we have created are horribly demanding.

This is happening to urban India, but it has happened even more so in the West. If you want to live in America, even if you fast for the next 30 days, your bills will still add up to 3,000 dollars. The society is structured in such a way that it is very demanding on the individual person – someone cannot take a break and just sit down. Not everyone may be capable of continually being on. A whole lot of people need to withdraw from certain things. If there is sufficient sadhana in their life, then you can drive them 24 hours, 365 days because life is brief and we don’t want to sit back. But if there is no sadhana, it is very important that people have space and time. - Sadhguru Jaggi Vasudev

Wholesome virtuous behavior progressively leads to the foremost.~ Buddha AN 10.1

If you do right, irrespective of what the other does, it will slow down the (turbulent) mind. ~ Rajini Menon
Old 07-02-2019, 10:40 PM
Administrator
Mental health has been around for Milenia but it has not always been recognised as mental health,people with mental health were and still are called all sorts mad.crazy lunatic etc etc.
but each of us can suffer from mental health Stress is a big factor in breakdowns feelings of no hope.i studied Mental health and there are a lot of factors to take into account.

Namaste
Old 07-02-2019, 11:49 PM
Master
Interesting.. yes it seems most illness including mental derives from people not living according to their natural states or inherent natures. Society is basically designed to deviate us from the ways we're supposed to be living. but I think there is hope and I guess that although things may seem more bleak than ever now, we can still see the growing light and movements which facilitate great worthwhile change modifying the fake deprived ways we've been guided to live.

From a personal perspective to respond to some of the words said, as far as the sentiment of us not being able to "take a break and just sit down" I suppose that is so true, in ridiculous ways.. See I don't really have to 'do much' right now. I don't have to work, yet the pressure is there for me to make money because my fiance is having trouble supporting us.. but I do have a new daughter now nearing 15 months old to take care of every day. I mean honestly I don't even do all the housework but this baby does keep me busy and most of my free time is spent with her at arm's length, like me posting on this forum, which actually much of the things I do are done when I should be sleeping, so I sacrifice that for engaging in activities, as I'm sure most others do too..

but well my point is, I feel so guilty for not doing more, and if I just sit I feel like my fiance is glaring at me from afar disapproving - and he's even criticized me posting on this forum, the other day saying I could do this dumb survey penny earning time wasting thing instead of posting on forums when I reasoned I didn't even have much extra time if I even did want to waste hours making pennies on there.. it was insulting and I informed him that it's a spiritual forum I post on mostly and sorry he doesn't have that side of himself actualized now but it's important to me..

anyway again lol point being that even a person who has little responsibility or obligation, there is that insatiable pressure to be doing more and guilt and shame that pile up when we do things that we should be. I mean there are many wonderful personal, artistic and spiritual things I feel guilty and pressure about not doing too, from myself because I really want to do them, but separate from that is the weight of another person judging me for what I do and don't do.. and in cases like this, that person may see the good things we do as a waste of time or as frivolous, such as the case with my posting on the forum or anything online, when the main thing I do online is try to learn, teach and grow! So I've got to do productive spiritual things anyways, and hopefully many more soon, but there's pressure from myself to do them and pressure from outside to not do them lol.. I do wish I had more energy and ease to do more chores around the house etc and ideally I would do much more, but Idno at this point I need to do more enlightening things to restore myself to a better state so I am more able to do all the other things.. and overcome the traps of the mind and judgment outside that make me feel bad for just existing or trying to do important things that people don't think properly fall into the structures of mainstream obligations or even play/entertainment etc.. sorry this got extremely rambly. I'd add more but yeah lol