Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Lifestyle > Yoga

Old 29-06-2017, 06:12 PM
Badcopyinc

Want to learn and practice Yoga

I've been putting this off as much as possible. do not know why.
but went to watch Netflix the other day (rarely watch the tube theses days)
and Awake, life of Yogananda popped up and inspired to me to take on this part of my growth.

As i was searching the inter web and getting sponsored and pay me sites popping up and mostly references to western yoga. i think Hatha yoga is what kept popping up.

It dawned on me that i respect the opinions and knowledge on this site more so than the article of some random author i do not know.

I know nothing of Yoga and would like to learn as much as possible. To start I'm not doing this for physical. More spiritual and emotional centering.

Any suggestions as to where to start?

If i had the money and ability to travel i would probably move to India to learn with yogi's if that helps with directing me?
Old 03-07-2017, 04:36 AM
Guide

The word Yoga means Union. The syllable "Ha" of Hatha means Sun, and the syllable "Tha" of Hatha means Moon. So Hatha Yoga (or Union with the Sun/Moon) is really more about a particular way of alighting yourself with either of those two Cosmic influences as a way for experiencing a state of mental or emotional centeredness. A lot of this has to do with the phenomenon of Revelation and how this effects us all on a psychological level. Centeredness allows us to experience a glimpse of timelessness.

For me, personally, much of what I learned about the subject of Yoga came through reading the articles at the Isha Archives. But try to keep in mind the fact
that what really works is usually hinted at, and not explained in some way that can be easily be understood. Much of what I learned was through trial and error. My reason for mentioning the Hatha Yoga part was simply to get you pointed in the right direction.
Old 24-07-2017, 02:06 AM
Newbie ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badcopyinc
I've been putting this off as much as possible. do not know why.
but went to watch Netflix the other day (rarely watch the tube theses days)
and Awake, life of Yogananda popped up and inspired to me to take on this part of my growth.

i'm curious what Awake, life of Yogananda was like. is it a documentary? what about it was inspiring?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badcopyinc
I know nothing of Yoga and would like to learn as much as possible. To start I'm not doing this for physical. More spiritual and emotional centering.

Any suggestions as to where to start?

i purchased Yoga: The Spirit and Practice of Moving into Stillness by Erich Schiffmann after finding it in my local library. i too am just starting with building my yoga practice. my first time reading i was after more of a physical experience but acknowledged that there was a lot of a mental/spiritual context in the book. i'm actually going to pick it back up again to get more in touch with that aspect of the book.
Old 24-07-2018, 04:57 AM
Experiencer

Start small. Study the literature and study the initial level of hatha yoga.
Old 29-08-2018, 07:13 PM
Ascender
And what have you learned in your yoga journey since ju e 2017? :)
Old 20-09-2018, 01:58 PM
Seeker

I absolutely love my Namaste Yoga DVDs (2nd season). It's a flow of movements that I just really connect with. I don't so much like holding a pose for a long time - just doesn't keep me as interested. Thought I'd mention it in case you are the same way.
Old 13-11-2018, 03:58 AM
Newbie ;)

A systemic study of yoga involves both philosophy and practice. Yoga is not just postural exercises alone. Before getting into any practice, you must first understand the philosophy behind. Philosophy without practice or Practice without philosophy will not serve the true purpose, of course some trivial benefits can be gained. You should search for the resources of yoga philosophy and practice.
Old 16-11-2018, 09:31 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by yogapradipika
A systemic study of yoga involves both philosophy and practice. Yoga is not just postural exercises alone. Before getting into any practice, you must first understand the philosophy behind. Philosophy without practice or Practice without philosophy will not serve the true purpose, of course some trivial benefits can be gained. You should search for the resources of yoga philosophy and practice.
Yes you are correct.. however, please be aware a lot of people don't follow the yogic system to the letter. To do it fully would require an ascetic lifestyle, which for a lot of people, isn't optional or practical in daily life.

I do agree though.. philosophy is important to reap more benefits.
That starts with not eating meat, in accordance with the first principle..
Old 25-11-2018, 05:31 PM
Newbie ;)
Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altair
Yes you are correct.. however, please be aware a lot of people don't follow the yogic system to the letter. To do it fully would require an ascetic lifestyle, which for a lot of people, isn't optional or practical in daily life.

I do agree though.. philosophy is important to reap more benefits.
That starts with not eating meat, in accordance with the first principle..

I believe the philosophy behind the Hatha Yoga system that includes the postural exercises does not maintain the requirement for an "ascetic lifestyle". There are of course, some limitations that one must keep during the course of one's development -- like following the Eight Limbs, which include the first two limbs of Yama and Niyama. The continence that is referred here does not mean that one must abstain from sex and other indulgences completely. The idea is to have self control.
It is in fact designed for the person who dwells in the material world and fulfills their role as a "Grihastha" before moving into the woods and becoming an ascetic, wandering monk.
Old 26-11-2018, 09:53 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiritictus
The continence that is referred here does not mean that one must abstain from sex and other indulgences completely. The idea is to have self control.
The people who are truly serious about reaching enlightenment aren't interested in any of the indulgences whatsoever, and to any 'lesser' practitioner it is worthwhile to consider giving up indulgences as well. For instance, non-violence is the 1st principle of the yoga system, and meat eating (killing animals, destroying forests, consuming the fear and dread of animals) as well as drinking (worsening one's health and awareness) are violent activities, to others and to self. As for sex, unless it's with a compatible partner that one loves, it's just going to be a literal felt drain of spiritual energy. This is a choice between love and selfish pleasure gratification.

To me it doesn't strike me as ''self control'' - but rather about compassion..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiritictus
It is in fact designed for the person who dwells in the material world and fulfills their role as a "Grihastha" before moving into the woods and becoming an ascetic, wandering monk.
I'm familiar with this view.. it is a common view that younger people are to fulfil duties and family life whereas the retired person (usually a male) can renounce duties and indulgences and aim for spiritual growth. I disagree a lot with this view, as it entirely depends on the individual and what they seek in life.